Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many of you change your own oil & filter?

Do you change your own oil or let dealer?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your own oil or do you leave it to the dealer?

• I change my own oil...saves me $ and time?
    • Couldn't be bothered...to much hassle. I'll pay the dealer.
  2. 2. If you change your own oil, do you have a DD or VD.

• I have a DD and change my own oil.
    • I have a DD and DO NOT change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and DO NOT change my own oil.

I change my own oil. The only issue I have changing it is the space between the drain plug and the bottom of the boat. I can get the plug loose with a wrench and unscrew is with the very tips of my fingers, but it ends up bottoming out on the hull before I can get it out! I would actually have to loosen the motor mounts and rock the motor forward to get the plug out! Instead of doing that I use an extractor. Seems to work fine.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• SacRiverRat

• FreeRider

• oldfooter

I don't change my own oil for the time savings or the $ savings.

I do it because I know I'll do it right, with loving care and concern, without dirty shoes and fingerprints all over my boat.

AMEN brother Rockon.gif

Edited by Boat Rocks

What about Mobil 1 ,I been using Mobil1 in everything I own that take oil for 10 years now and was sad to see the book says no synthics for the first 100 hrs ,why??? My last boat love it

What about Mobil 1 ,I been using Mobil1 in everything I own that take oil for 10 years now and was sad to see the book says no synthics for the first 100 hrs ,why??? My last boat love it

Engine break in requirements. Synthetic oil is not very good at seating the rings during the break in phase. Once through that, feel free to use and enjoy Mobil 1 or any other synthetic oil.

I just did the 100 hr change on my Hammerhead and only got out 3.5 qts?

I let it drain for 3 days after warming it up why cant I get all of the oil out?

The dealer did it at 50 hrs. Is it OK to leave the other old oil in the system? I used Valvoline 40w Racing oil in stead of the Pennzoil stuff.

I just did the 100 hr change on my Hammerhead and only got out 3.5 qts?

I let it drain for 3 days after warming it up why cant I get all of the oil out?

The dealer did it at 50 hrs. Is it OK to leave the other old oil in the system? I used Valvoline 40w Racing oil in stead of the Pennzoil stuff.

Read this Thumbup.gif

Engine break in requirements. Synthetic oil is not very good at seating the rings during the break in phase. Once through that, feel free to use and enjoy Mobil 1 or any other synthetic oil.

Plus1.gif new engines should usually run non-detergent oil for the break in period (which when I was building engines was 500 miles). You really shouldn't run synthetic oils until about 5K, but to each their own!

I do my own for the same reasons as most people here, I love my boat and try to do all maint myself. I use Mobil one 15w-50 and napa gold filter made by wix. 30 min and your done, with clean up.

• 2 months later...
I do my own for the same reasons as most people here, I love my boat and try to do all maint myself. I use Mobil one 15w-50 and napa gold filter made by wix. 30 min and your done, with clean up.

DITTO here :)

do you have to use an extractor for a vdrive? My dd I would just run the hose out the plug hole and let it go for while. but the vdrive does not seem to have drain plug under the motor like the dd does? any trick tips here?

• 3 weeks later...

I made an extension hose that I run through the 1/2" plug on the lower transom and connect it to the factory hose clipped to the upper area of the motor. I then lay them down in the bilge area and it drains out the back just fine.

do you have to use an extractor for a vdrive? My dd I would just run the hose out the plug hole and let it go for while. but the vdrive does not seem to have drain plug under the motor like the dd does? any trick tips here?

My 2007 WS 23 LSV has a drain plug almost directly under the engine. Its slightly left of center and is easily accessed from the left rear storage compartment.

• 2 weeks later...
I made an extension hose that I run through the 1/2" plug on the lower transom and connect it to the factory hose clipped to the upper area of the motor. I then lay them down in the bilge area and it drains out the back just fine.

What did you make this extension from? Does it restrict the oil draining out at all?

I've been pulling the ballast pump & sticking the hose thru that valve. Trying to decide which method is less of a PITA.

I change my own oil every other oil change. Taking it to the dealer can be beneficial for service and computer updates.

I started using AMSoil; it is an American made, fully synthetic oil and it is awesome. If you do some research, you will see it is far, far superior than any other oil on the market. I bring my own oil and filter to the dealer when I have them work on my boat and they put the synthetic oil in the engine for me along with the filter I want them to use.

I also use their filters. They have a top notch filter that keeps all the particles out of your engine.

Bakes online has it. By the way, use the 10w-40 in this version of oil to get the best results. Go to www.bakesonline.com to find all kinds of Malibu parts! Thumbup.gif

One of the main reasons I change it myself is the nearest Malibu dealer is two hours from me!!!

Edited by DHixson

I have been using a unit that sucks the oil out but I like your idea a lot. I am getting some hose to try that myself. Clap.gif

• 1 month later...

What did you make this extension from? Does it restrict the oil draining out at all?

I've been pulling the ballast pump & sticking the hose thru that valve. Trying to decide which method is less of a PITA.

I would like to know the same thing. My old '97 VLX had a hull plug under the V-drive, but my '04 VLX does not. The oil drain hose is too short to reach the transom plug. Anybody know the dimensions of the hose and fittings so it can screw into the factory drain hose?

As for draining out the ballast pump valve, seems like the oil would have to travel up a few inches to the top of the ballast pump valve before exiting the boat. Doesn't that prevent all the oil from draining out?

• 4 weeks later...

I have always done my own service work. Made a pump out of a old ballast pump just screw the brass fittings together plug it in and all the oil is out in a min. Got the idea after I saw a few shops using them. Makes changing the oil a breeze. Beer.gif

Edited by enelson
  • 1 month later...

For me the drive to the dealer would have killed this option.

I just change it myself, and do a once a year warranty repair visit

BB

Part of my boat purchase included 3 years of free scheduled maintenance, so ask me again in 2011 ... :)
Part of my boat purchase included 3 years of free scheduled maintenance, so ask me again in 2011 ... :)

I just changed the oil & filter a while back. Cost was $17. So that perk was worth $51 plus labor.

I think others have said too.... getting in there once in a while & doing the routine stuff makes you familiar with your boat.

I just changed the oil & filter a while back. Cost was $17. So that perk was worth $51 plus labor.

But it included all scheduled maintenance - oil, transmission, filters, ...

But I do agree and plan to do every other one myself. Its a long drive to the dealer if that is all i need.

I have a 2009 8.1 Bu with 90 hours on it and the Indmar oil filler and manual recommends Penzoil 40w.

Should I continue to use this or change to 15W40 or 10W50 Mobil 1?