Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many of you change your own oil & filter?

Do you change your own oil or let dealer?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your own oil or do you leave it to the dealer?

• I change my own oil...saves me $ and time?
    • Couldn't be bothered...to much hassle. I'll pay the dealer.
  2. 2. If you change your own oil, do you have a DD or VD.

• I have a DD and change my own oil.
    • I have a DD and DO NOT change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and DO NOT change my own oil.

I just changed my oil for the first time after getting my bu and found it very easy! Of course I do have the XTi (DD). I read several tips from the crew before attempting and they made it very easy. A few useful tips:

1: Place lots of rags in the area beneath the filter (just in case).

2: Place a container under the filter large enough to collect the contents of the oil filter.

3: Take a nail (or pointed object) and knock a at least two holes in the filter to drain the contents. At least one hole in the bottom and one on the top / side to vent. Leave pleanty of time to drain.

4: Remove the conatainer and loosen the filter a little with a filter wrench if necessary and then place a large zip-loc freezer bag over the filter and remove the rest of the way. Let the filter drop into the bag and zip it closed.

Again I have the DD and being able to remove the side and front engine cover panels gave me plenty of access.

GO "DD" Yes I am prejudice for the DD's..... Plus1.gif

Now the poll:

Edited by oldfooter
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• SacRiverRat

• FreeRider

• oldfooter

what if I don't have a DD - I don't get to vote?

Sorry :Doh: I hit the "Enter" before finishing the poll? Should be up and running now!

Plus1.gif

P.S. My primary reason for changing my own oil is time. I can change it on whatever day works out best for me. I can change the oil myself in less time than it takes to pull the boat to the dealer and back. I recently just changed it one morning before launching. I didn't have more than 45 minutes wrapped up in the whole thing. I didn't have to schedule that with the dealer or hope that they could exactly hit my schedule.

I change my own oil, always have...and probably always will, I don't want to wait for a week to have the dealer do it. The service dept. is always so busy during the summer Crazy.gif

I don't change my own oil for the time savings or the $ savings.

I do it because I know I'll do it right, with loving care and concern, without dirty shoes and fingerprints all over my boat.

I do it because I know I'll do it right, with loving care and concern, without dirty shoes and fingerprints all over my boat.

Plus1.gif You read my mind. Thumbup.gif

I think all those reasons listed are good reasons (cost, time, and care) - I'd say the biggest for me would be the hassle of getting the boat to the dealership service center. I suppose if the boat was already there, having something done, I would probably have them do the oil while it was there..

But since it has never been to the service center - I'll just do it myself when the season is over

I do change my own oil, it’s simple and less costly but the main reason is to make sure it’s been done correctly. I don’t care for the extractors they don’t get the stuff at the bottom of the pan, plus I let it drain for a week. I’ve even gone so far as to pour in oil and let it run out to help flush the bottom of the pan.

I use the bottom of a 2 liter bottle to catch my filter, but since I let it drain for so long it doesn’t even drip. I just need to make sure a certain 2 yo doesn’t get his fingers into the drain pan while he’s “attempting” to help me…lol

I think all those reasons listed are good reasons (cost, time, and care) - I'd say the biggest for me would be the hassle of getting the boat to the dealership service center. I suppose if the boat was already there, having something done, I would probably have them do the oil while it was there..

But since it has never been to the service center - I'll just do it myself when the season is over

They offer a mobile service it's $45 buckeroos though hardly something I'm prepared to do. Also the engine isn't even warmed up first...again I'll do it myself.

I do change my own oil, it’s simple and less costly but the main reason is to make sure it’s been done correctly. I don’t care for the extractors they don’t get the stuff at the bottom of the pan, plus I let it drain for a week. I’ve even gone so far as to pour in oil and let it run out to help flush the bottom of the pan.

I use the bottom of a 2 liter bottle to catch my filter, but since I let it drain for so long it doesn’t even drip. I just need to make sure a certain 2 yo doesn’t get his fingers into the drain pan while he’s “attempting†to help me…lol

Why don't you like extractors? I can hook mine up to the oil drain line and it seems to work pretty well. Granted, I don't let it drain for a week though -- I'm too busy using the boat to let it sit that long :)

Edited by Addictedto6

I do it myself for a few reasons (as others have stated):

1. I will do it correctly - using the correct oil and amount and a good filter

2. I will save about $50

3. I enjoy doing it myself

To make it easier, I have modified a Merc oil pump (hand pump model) with a swivel fitting and long discharge hose to screw onto the Indmar drain hose. I can pump the oil out while sitting on my pier. No mess, no fuss. I drop the oil filter into a plastic ice cream container - hardly spills a drop. Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

I don’t care for the extractors they don’t get the stuff at the bottom of the pan, plus I let it drain for a week.

My extractor pulls from the drain hose.. from the bottom of the pan It gets all the same stuff that the drip and wait method would get.. especially if you did your flush with an extra quart.

the extractor sure is nice (quick and self contained) - no risk of spilling etc

I use the bottom of a 2 liter bottle to catch my filter, but since I let it drain for so long it doesn’t even drip. I just need to make sure a certain 2 yo doesn’t get his fingers into the drain pan while he’s “attempting” to help me…lol

My father use to flush his car engines out as well, but by draining the pan and filter, closing it back up, pouring in a gallon of kerosene, taking the coil wire off (so it wouldn't start) and turning the engine over for twenty or thirty seconds to pump the kerosene throughout and then drain. I thought I was anal!!!! Thumbup.gif

I DIY because I am fiscally responsible and a DIYer in most everything that I can around the house and cars.

Many have talked about the extractors. Don't have one but would like to know: Which is the best and where is the best place to buy one?

I DIY because I am fiscally responsible and a DIYer in most everything that I can around the house and cars.

Many have talked about the extractors. Don't have one but would like to know: Which is the best and where is the best place to buy one?

I use this one Oil Extractor

It's very easy and I just connect it to the drain hose connected to the bottom of the oil pan.

Good idea Thumbup.gif

Why don't you like extractors? I can hook mine up to the oil drain line and it seems to work pretty well. Granted, I don't let it drain for a week though -- I'm too busy using the boat to let it sit that long :)

Just don't feel they are needed, my garden hose drains just fine and is done quickly. Extractors just aren't anymore efficient than the ol' warm it up and let it drain. I'll do other maintenance and check connections and such so it's boat time turn the tunes on and have beer.

I don’t care for the extractors they don’t get the stuff at the bottom of the pan, plus I let it drain for a week.

My extractor pulls from the drain hose.. from the bottom of the pan It gets all the same stuff that the drip and wait method would get.. especially if you did your flush with an extra quart.

the extractor sure is nice (quick and self contained) - no risk of spilling etc

Never had anything spill or get messy. The drip method works quickly as I'll pull the plug just after getting home from the lake. To each their own.....

Just don't feel they are needed, my garden hose drains just fine and is done quickly. Extractors just aren't anymore efficient than the ol' warm it up and let it drain. I'll do other maintenance and check connections and such so it's boat time turn the tunes on and have beer.

IMO it depends on the boat.

As long as you don't mind needing 2 days to change the oil.

I change mine every 50 hours - that would make it quite a hassle to take to the dealer every 2-3 months.

I do it right on the lift.

And I figure if you change it often enough you don't hafta worry about getting every little drop.

I use an extractor thats powered by my 12V battery - takes about 20 minutes and yeilds 4 quarts consistently - the other quart comes from the filter.

I change my oil myself because it is over 100 miles to the dealer. I loosen the oil filter slightly and then open a gallon sized zip lock bag under the oil filter, then remove the filter. The filter and oil spill into the zip lock bag. Zip it shut and there is no mess in the bilge. Next I drop the oil drain hose out the bilge drain hole, loosen the cap and put the hose in the neck of a 2 gallon gas can. Takes all of about 15 minutes to complete the oil change and clean up.

I like the zip lock bag idea for the filter.

The DYI method works well. Saves time and $, & you can teach the kids a thing or two about caring for your stuff as well. :)