Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many of you change your own oil & filter?

Do you change your own oil or let dealer?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your own oil or do you leave it to the dealer?

• I change my own oil...saves me $ and time?
    • Couldn't be bothered...to much hassle. I'll pay the dealer.
  2. 2. If you change your own oil, do you have a DD or VD.

• I have a DD and change my own oil.
    • I have a DD and DO NOT change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and change my own oil.
    • I have a VD and DO NOT change my own oil.

Just don't feel they are needed, my garden hose drains just fine and is done quickly. Extractors just aren't anymore efficient than the ol' warm it up and let it drain. I'll do other maintenance and check connections and such so it's boat time turn the tunes on and have beer.

As long as you don't mind needing 2 days to change the oil.

Must be something in that west cost air ours doesn't take 2 days to drain. Tongue.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• SacRiverRat

• FreeRider

• oldfooter

I change my oil myself because it is over 100 miles to the dealer. I loosen the oil filter slightly and then open a gallon sized zip lock bag under the oil filter, then remove the filter. The filter and oil spill into the zip lock bag. Zip it shut and there is no mess in the bilge. Next I drop the oil drain hose out the bilge drain hole, loosen the cap and put the hose in the neck of a 2 gallon gas can. Takes all of about 15 minutes to complete the oil change and clean up.

Plus1.gif

Dumb question. I am fairly certain that when changing the oil and Trans fluid, the only way to get a true level on the dipsticks is to be in the water, right? On the trailer the trans reads full at 1.5 quarts and the engine reads full at 4 quarts. The engine is already at an angle, so in the water it is pretty close to flat on a direct drive, because the bow is deeper in the water.

My biggest question is, when you drain the oil pan, does 5.5 quarts really come out with a filter change? What is everyones experience. My example here is, my 2001 Tunrda pickup says 6.6 quarts with filter change, but I only need 6 to get it to the top of the line of full. 6.6 makes it over full according to the dipstick.

I put 5 quarts in my Monsoon and saw it was over full. But leveled out when in the water. I am just curious how much oil people are really adding.

Dumb question. I am fairly certain that when changing the oil and Trans fluid, the only way to get a true level on the dipsticks is to be in the water, right? On the trailer the trans reads full at 1.5 quarts and the engine reads full at 4 quarts. The engine is already at an angle, so in the water it is pretty close to flat on a direct drive, because the bow is deeper in the water.

My biggest question is, when you drain the oil pan, does 5.5 quarts really come out with a filter change? What is everyones experience. My example here is, my 2001 Tunrda pickup says 6.6 quarts with filter change, but I only need 6 to get it to the top of the line of full. 6.6 makes it over full according to the dipstick.

I put 5 quarts in my Monsoon and saw it was over full. But leveled out when in the water. I am just curious how much oil people are really adding.

For engine oil, I always add less than 5 Qts. and top up only when on the water. For the tranny, I carefully measure how much comes out and then carefully add exactly that amount back in.

ok.. I went to ski yesterday.. and found... 5 quarts right on the money put me on the full line perfectly. This is while sitting in calm water and let the engine sit for 10 mins after a full heat cycle.

I do however need to pump a couple ounces out of the Direct drive... a little over full.

ok.. I went to ski yesterday.. and found... 5 quarts right on the money put me on the full line perfectly. This is while sitting in calm water and let the engine sit for 10 mins after a full heat cycle.

I do however need to pump a couple ounces out of the Direct drive... a little over full.

I can't get it all out with a extractor. If someone other than myself changes the oil, it is almost always a quart high and if I neglect to check it, I get blow by and fouled 3rd and 6th plugs. Not good. Get it hot, put it on the trailer and drop the hose.

• 6 months later...

If I do it, I know for sure it's done right. had too many yahoos overfill cause they didn't get all the old oil out. If you can't change oil, maybe you should be playing softball or tennis instead of boating.

I just bought my 23lsv last summer and this is the first time for me to change the oil myself. I have read the manual and it recommends using Pennzoil Marine 15w40. All the 15w40 oil I am finding is for diesel engines. I have found no marine oil. I'm confused. Does it have to be marine? Does it have to be Pennzoil? If not Pennzoil, would there be any way it would void the warranty? Any feedback would be appreciated.

BTW, I have been draining the oil out the bottom for 2 days now.Dontknow.gif

I don't understand the need for an oil extractor Dontknow.gif (can someone explain)?? I've had great success just warming the boat up to operating temp, dropping the drain hose through the bilge drain hole and letting the oil spill out into a catch can.

As a tip on the filter, I loosen the filter, then place a plastic bag over the filter and twist it off. As the filter comes off, the oil left inside drips into the plastic bag, not the bilge...... Thumbup.gif

I just bought my 23lsv last summer and this is the first time for me to change the oil myself. I have read the manual and it recommends using Pennzoil Marine 15w40. All the 15w40 oil I am finding is for diesel engines. I have found no marine oil. I'm confused. Does it have to be marine? Does it have to be Pennzoil? If not Pennzoil, would there be any way it would void the warranty? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I buy Pennzoil 15w40 marine oil at Walmart, it is in the boating section of the sports department. Or behind the counter where the guns and ammo are. Don't ask me why. That is the only place I have found it.

I buy Pennzoil 15w40 marine oil at Walmart, it is in the boating section of the sports department. Or behind the counter where the guns and ammo are. Don't ask me why. That is the only place I have found it.

Yeah, I looked at Walmart in both the automotive and sporting goods with no luck. Who would ever think about looking behind the gun cabinet!Surprised.gif I'll check it out. I purchased the Pennzoil Gold 15w40 from Auto Zone, but haven't put it in yet.

Yeah, I looked at Walmart in both the automotive and sporting goods with no luck. Who would ever think about looking behind the gun cabinet!Surprised.gif I'll check it out. I purchased the Pennzoil Gold 15w40 from Auto Zone, but haven't put it in yet.

I always look behind the gun cabinet

My Walmart didn't have it behind the gun cabinet. That being said, I can't find Marine oil anywhere around here. How important is it to use Marine oil? Will if void the warranty if I use regular Pennzoil 15w40?

My Walmart didn't have it behind the gun cabinet. That being said, I can't find Marine oil anywhere around here. How important is it to use Marine oil? Will if void the warranty if I use regular Pennzoil 15w40?

No.gif Warranty will not be voided if you do not use Pennzoil. And "marine" oil is not a neccessity either :Doh: . I have been using Shell Rotella 15W40 for years w/ no problems at all Thumbup.gif .

:thankyou: That was my main concern. I have also posted on dallaswakeboarding.com and it appears that Rotella and Castrol are the two mainly used.
I don't understand the need for an oil extractor Dontknow.gif (can someone explain)?? I've had great success just warming the boat up to operating temp, dropping the drain hose through the bilge drain hole and letting the oil spill out into a catch can.

As a tip on the filter, I loosen the filter, then place a plastic bag over the filter and twist it off. As the filter comes off, the oil left inside drips into the plastic bag, not the bilge...... Thumbup.gif

I use one every time. My boat is on a lift and it's pretty hard to float around under the boat with a bucket trying to catch the oil draining out of the bottom of the boat. Biggrin.gif

• 5 months later...

so my hull plug will not budge. I have only ever drained the oil through the hull plug into a bucket using gravity...

I don't have a pump, although I'm seriously thinking of investing in one due to my stuck plug..

I was also thinking of buying one of those drain pans 1. its an appropriate container for oil. 2. I can put it in the bilge and let the hose drain into that.

any thoughts on putting this pan into the bilge and using the drain method that way, instead of through the hull?

TIA

• 4 weeks later...
so my hull plug will not budge. I have only ever drained the oil through the hull plug into a bucket using gravity...

I don't have a pump, although I'm seriously thinking of investing in one due to my stuck plug..

I was also thinking of buying one of those drain pans 1. its an appropriate container for oil. 2. I can put it in the bilge and let the hose drain into that.

any thoughts on putting this pan into the bilge and using the drain method that way, instead of through the hull?

TIA

Not sure if you've already tried or not, but I've never seen a pan that would be big enough to hold the oil from the motor and yet still be small enough to actually be able to get into place in the bilge under the engine. I would highly recommend investing in a good oil extractor. It is easy and as clean as it gets. Not much money either - several of them out there for $55-$65.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
  • 2 months later...
My oil extractor was only 30 bucks works great I save so much time now and never have an oily mess t clean up in the bilge!

I'm looking for an oil extractor myself. Anyone know of a good deal on one right now? Looks like $50+ about the best I can find. Like to have at least 6 liter capacity.

I got my oil extractor from West Marine on sale for $30. Its only 5 quarts but easily holds the capacity of the Monsoon. It is the West Marine brand and I have had it for 3-4 years with no problems. Its not on sale now but I think they run it on sale fairly often. One word of advice, don't pump too many times as you can create so much suction the tubing can start to collapse.

West Marine Oil Extractor