Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Height?

pcm617

As the title says... whats the height from the ground with the boat on the trailer to the very top of an illusion tower on a VLX and LSV?

Need to know if it will clear a 10 or 11' door?

Thanks.

It will just go under. I have a Wakesetter 23LSV and it fits through a 10x10 door with the tower up and wakeboard racks in the normal position with a bit to spare all around.

Slight Hijack

Okay, so what is the total height of the illusion tower in the down position?

I've got the new VLX coming and don't want to be surprised by it not fitting through my standard 6'8" garage door opening.

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

As the title says... whats the height from the ground with the boat on the trailer to the very top of an illusion tower on a VLX and LSV?

Need to know if it will clear a 10 or 11' door?

Thanks.

The trailer will play a part, not all trailers make the boat ride at the same height.

I've got the new VLX coming and don't want to be surprised by it not fitting through my standard 6'8" garage door opening.

Well, consider it not a surprise when it doesn't fit, and you'll be ok.. Whistling.gif

Edited by SacRiverRat
Slight Hijack

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

You may want to start planning for a little home modification. I had the same issue with my boat trying to store it for winter. I even when are far as letting all the air out of the tires because it was so close to fitting. I never did get it in. Mad.gif

Slight Hijack

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

You may want to start planning for a little home modification. I had the same issue with my boat trying to store it for winter. I even when are far as letting all the air out of the tires because it was so close to fitting. I never did get it in. Mad.gif

Yea- that was my "don't be surprised when it doesn't fit comment.." 98% chance it isnt' going to fit - so don't be surprised

mook,,,i almost gurantee u will not get that illusion in that opening. i had the same issue when getting my 07vlx last winter,, but i did all the checking "before" i brought it home. my 7' door is now a 7'3" door. had to re-inforce the door header,,and then cut a few inches out,,and special ordered a 7'3" door. each time i take it in or out of the garage,,,i unhook the "door opener" hardware so i can manually push the door all the way up so i can get the full clearance of the door opening. fits through with a inch or 2 to spare.

It will just go under. I have a Wakesetter 23LSV and it fits through a 10x10 door with the tower up and wakeboard racks in the normal position with a bit to spare all around.

Thanks for the info.

Slight Hijack

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

Yea- that was my "don't be surprised when it doesn't fit comment.." 98% chance it isnt' going to fit - so don't be surprised

Great! So why have a collapsible tower in the first place if it doesn't allow the boat to fit under a standard garage door opening anyway?

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but glad I asked so that I am LESS surprised. (and so that I can warn the CFO so she doesn't think I'm a total idiot) Tease.gif

My Titan I on my 01 VLX fit without a problem, so I didn't think that the illusion would be an issue.... ....but now, I obviously know that it is an issue.

Thx for the warning,

Mook

Edited by mook222
Slight Hijack

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

Great! So why have a collapsible tower in the first place if it doesn't allow the boat to fit under a standard garage door opening anyway?

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but glad I asked so that I am LESS surprised. (and so that I can warn the CFO so she doesn't think I'm a total idiot) Tease.gif

My Titan I on my 01 VLX fit without a problem, so I didn't think that the illusion would be an issue.... ....but now, I obviously know that it is an issue.

Thx for the warning,

Mook

The '01 was a much smaller boat the the '07 VLX.. and the collapsable tower gets it down from 10' to just over 7'. Buying a low-rider trailer might make the difference too

The '01 was a much smaller boat the the '07 VLX.. and the collapsable tower gets it down from 10' to just over 7'. Buying a low-rider trailer might make the difference too

Thanks for info.

I knew the 01 was shorter and not as wide, but from the looks of how the Titan opens up and the illusion folds in I assumed (there's the problem) that it would fit.

It is an 06 VLX on a Boatmate trailer, so I think the trailer is standard and not necessarily a "low-rider".

Does anyone else have a VLX with illusion on a boatmate trailer that could confirm that it won't fit so I am thoroughly prepared versus less surprised?

Thx, Mook

Acctually I was thinking this same thing this morning... I am gettig an 03 VLX with Skylon Swoop tower... Anyone know if that will fit in the standard 7' garage door....

each time i take it in or out of the garage,,,i unhook the "door opener" hardware so i can manually push the door all the way up so i can get the full clearance of the door opening.

You opener should have limit switches on the track system you can move or adjustment's on the back of the motor housing. I had to adjust mine to get full clearance.

Just a thought.

each time i take it in or out of the garage,,,i unhook the "door opener" hardware so i can manually push the door all the way up so i can get the full clearance of the door opening.

You opener should have limit switches on the track system you can move or adjustment's on the back of the motor housing. I had to adjust mine to get full clearance.

Just a thought.

yeah,,i can adjust the "travel",,but just didnt feel like it needed to go that far up "every" time,,,since the boat comes in or out maybe 1 in every 15--20 "openings" so i just un-hook it. just trying to save a little "wear+tear" :)

Acctually I was thinking this same thing this morning... I am gettig an 03 VLX with Skylon Swoop tower... Anyone know if that will fit in the standard 7' garage door....

I doubt it. Our DD Wakesetter ('04) with the Swoop didn't clear a 7'0 door in the rental that we were in at the time. We pulled the top section of the tower off every time we came home. It wasn't even close enough to do anything like lower the air pressure, nor was it close enough for a low rider option on the trailer to make a difference. I know that some Swoops came with an option to pivot the rear legs of the top section down, so if yours doesn't come with that you might look at having that modification done.

Thanks for info.

I knew the 01 was shorter and not as wide, but from the looks of how the Titan opens up and the illusion folds in I assumed (there's the problem) that it would fit.

It is an 06 VLX on a Boatmate trailer, so I think the trailer is standard and not necessarily a "low-rider".

Does anyone else have a VLX with illusion on a boatmate trailer that could confirm that it won't fit so I am thoroughly prepared versus less surprised?

Thx, Mook

I can confirm it isn't gonna fit....we have an '07VLX with the IllusionX Tower and a boatmate trailer...it would not fit our garage. We had to modify the height of the garage door...raising it by about 1' to get it in......now it goes in like a dream!

Slight Hijack

Thanks!!

Slight Hijack Off

It won't fit if you use a boatmate. I have an 07 VTX with an IllX and an 8' door opening. When the opener is in full open position the door bottom is exactly 7' and my boat will not fit through. It does make it with ease if I pull the release on the door and push it up some more. However, when I first bought the boat I had a loaner "Eagle" brand trailer and it was closer to fitting but not quite. You may want to spend the extra$$ and get an "Extreme Trailer" as I am sure that they are the lowest on the market.

Well, I have an '07 VLX with a Boatmate trailer and it fits through a 7' door.... It is tight and maybe has an inch or 2 to spare... The problem that I have is that I have the Titan swivel racks... and with the tower down, they are the highest point... I have to remove them each time, and then the tow ball just clears... I do have the low profile tires on the trailer.... I hope that helps.... There may be some discrepancy too in how the towers are adjusted when they fold down.... I think that you can adjust the springs some too and that might help some too if it does not fit and you have more room befoe it hits the dash.... Because raising the garage header can be $$$$ depending on the condition...... and siding and what not

Well, I have an '07 VLX with a Boatmate trailer and it fits through a 7' door.... It is tight and maybe has an inch or 2 to spare... The problem that I have is that I have the Titan swivel racks... and with the tower down, they are the highest point... I have to remove them each time, and then the tow ball just clears... I do have the low profile tires on the trailer.... I hope that helps.... There may be some discrepancy too in how the towers are adjusted when they fold down.... I think that you can adjust the springs some too and that might help some too if it does not fit and you have more room befoe it hits the dash.... Because raising the garage header can be $$$$ depending on the condition...... and siding and what not

Thanks BB.

That's certainly encouraging. I am guessing that some towers sit a little higher than others in the down position which may be why yours fits under the door and others don't. From the responses, I'd say there is about a 90% chance that the boat won't fit, but an outside chance that it will, so I'm going to get it and find out for myself hopefully next week.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mook

Note: Does the Illusion tower rest on the dash or the windshield in the down position? BB said "dash" so maybe his was installed a litle further toward the aft of the boat than others????

Edited by mook222
your illusion will rest on the dash when folded down

I would recommend making or buying the tower cradle....especially since when your boat is garaged the tower will be down.....otherwise you will end up with dents in your dash. It nicely cradles the tower and keeps it just off the dash.