Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got Tips for Long Boat Ride?

Full Boat on the River

I own a 2004 malibu wakesetter VLX w/ about 200 hours on it. 340 Monsoon. I bought it brand new, and it has been very well maintained since day 1 and all fluids etc are diligently changed on schedule. I use it regularly on my home lake.

Now... I want to take my Malibu on a very long river run over the course of 3 days, about 200 miles round trip. We will not be wakeboarding at all, just cruising. I have done this trip b4, just never in an inboard. I am not a novice boater, just relatively new to the inboard/wakeboarding scene.

Any tips, suggestions, advice, concerns?

Any problems with maintaining a constant speed, say 30 mph @ approx 3400rpm, for several hours at a time? Or should RPMs be varied periodically?

Any max RPMs for long distance traveling?

What is the best way to conserve fuel on a trip like this?

I own a 2004 malibu wakesetter VLX w/ about 200 hours on it. 340 Monsoon. I bought it brand new, and it has been very well maintained since day 1 and all fluids etc are diligently changed on schedule. I use it regularly on my home lake.

Now... I want to take my Malibu on a very long river run over the course of 3 days, about 200 miles round trip. We will not be wakeboarding at all, just cruising. I have done this trip b4, just never in an inboard. I am not a novice boater, just relatively new to the inboard/wakeboarding scene.

Any problems with maintaining a constant speed, say 30 mph @ approx 3400rpm, for several hours at a time? Or should RPMs be varied periodically?

If that rip happens to be on the intercoastal all I can say is I wish I were going with. Did this thing once before in a Malibu Skier and had a blast. No worries with any of the things you have mentioned. The BU skier was not the boat yours is for sure and all we had to do was make sure we were not operating at an engine rpm which resulted in a harmonic vibration in the driveline. Either speed up a bit or slow down a bit but don't operate in that specific rpm range. Six Malibus later I have not seen this situation in the newer boats. This harmonic was not unique to Malibu at that time, I had a correct craft that did the same thing. Should be a great trip for sure!

I would bring some tools for on the spot repairs, a spare prop and a scuba mask(also good for untangling ropes caught in your prop).

I wouldn't worry, not too long ago a crew member took his boat all the way to Hawaii, he just filled the ballast tanks with gas so he could refill the tank along the way. With 200 miles, you'll be fine.