Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05-06 "Ski" boats

DeltaDan

I purchased a 2006 SLXI wiht the intention of using it for combo ski/wakeboarding. We testing in the fall under less than ideal conditions and I went with the SLXI over the RLXI because it had more room and handles rough water much better.

After skiing behind it this summer, I am finding that I am a little disappointed in the SV25 wake. The wake is small, but hard. Not a "Slalom Skiers Dream" as advertised. I am 6'3" 220 and cut through it pretty well, but my wife is petite and has problems with it.

I have been testing with different speeds and rope lengths 22 off at 34 mph has been ok, but tough at my level of skiing. I am wondering if the Wakesetter VLX has a better and what other 05-06 SLXI owners experiences have been.

No, the Wakesetter will not be better than your Sunsetter. The VLX is the same size boat, but weighs more, and uses the V25 Wake hull, not the V25 Diamond hull that is under your Sunsetter.

If you want most of the room of your boat and need a direct drive look for a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXi. It is almost as good as the first generation RLXi from a wake perspective, and has a bit more room.

If you don't mind spending a little more and moving to a v-drive, check out a 2007 and newer Sunscape 20 LSV (or Wakesetter VTX w/Cut Diamond hull). They'll give you great slalom peformance, and all of the space, creature comforts and rough water ride of your current Sunsetter LXi.

No, the Wakesetter will not be better than your Sunsetter. The VLX is the same size boat, but weighs more, and uses the V25 Wake hull, not the V25 Diamond hull that is under your Sunsetter.

If you want most of the room of your boat and need a direct drive look for a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXi. It is almost as good as the first generation RLXi from a wake perspective, and has a bit more room.

If you don't mind spending a little more and moving to a v-drive, check out a 2007 and newer Sunscape 20 LSV (or Wakesetter VTX w/Cut Diamond hull). They'll give you great slalom peformance, and all of the space, creature comforts and rough water ride of your current Sunsetter LXi.

Skicrave, lucky guess, What do you really know about Malibu anyway? Tease2.gif

Another one to look at would be the '01 Sunsetter VLX & the '02-'04 Sunscape 21' LSV's (all 4 are the same basic boat). Very respectable slalom machines.

The 02' Sunsetter LX (AKA wakesetter) was also put on the diamond hull and would be another choice. For the room and storage I'd recommend the SLXI.

Thanks for all the responses - I don't think I am going to be getting a new boat to at least 2 more years and I am happy with the boat. What I really want to know is "How does my 06 Sunsetter's wake compare to the ones mentioned above"

Skicrave - I was mistaken - I meant the VTX - I have heard it has a good ski wake, but have not seen it marketed that way. the SLXI was marketed as a ski boat first. In the brochure, waterskimag and by the salesmen. Was this a bunch of BS?!?

as a former owner of the 'classic SLXi', just about the only thing they had in common was the name. The early design skied incredibly well, the version you have is more like a wakeboard boat that skis ok...JMHO.

That era Sunsetter LXi was a big heavy boat and didn't have the slalom wake of its predecessor. If getting a different boat isn't an option, work on weight removal and distribution.

The reason the SLXi was marketed as a good ski boat is because that's what Malibu said it was. Waterski mag isn't exactly impartial when reviewing their advertisers' boats. Regarding the VTX, it's a really good wake. Many would put it on the same level as the 'classic' SLXi.

That era Sunsetter LXi was a big heavy boat and didn't have the slalom wake of its predecessor. If getting a different boat isn't an option, work on weight removal and distribution.

The reason the SLXi was marketed as a good ski boat is because that's what Malibu said it was. Waterski mag isn't exactly impartial when reviewing their advertisers' boats. Regarding the VTX, it's a really good wake. Many would put it on the same level as the 'classic' SLXi.

Well, the wake was a compromise I knew I was going to have to make for a bigger boat. Any ideas on how weight distribution would work? Ballast in the bow? The only way to reduce weight that I know of is less people and minimal gas in the tank. Any Ideas are appreciated.

Well, the wake was a compromise I knew I was going to have to make for a bigger boat. Any ideas on how weight distribution would work? Ballast in the bow? The only way to reduce weight that I know of is less people and minimal gas in the tank. Any Ideas are appreciated.

Can also remove the rear seat. It's not much weight, but will help a wee bit.

I have a '98 SSLX and the wake is best with low fuel, no rear seat and only 2 (or 1) in the boat when skiing.

Edited by Baddog

If you're a recreational skier, I'd suggest skiing at 28 off because thats a pretty wide boat, hence a pretty wide wake. At 28, wake will be a little narrower, making crossings like one bump rather than bump up and then bump down. follow?

I purchased a 2006 SLXI wiht the intention of using it for combo ski/wakeboarding. We testing in the fall under less than ideal conditions and I went with the SLXI over the RLXI because it had more room and handles rough water much better.

After skiing behind it this summer, I am finding that I am a little disappointed in the SV25 wake. The wake is small, but hard. Not a "Slalom Skiers Dream" as advertised. I am 6'3" 220 and cut through it pretty well, but my wife is petite and has problems with it.

I have been testing with different speeds and rope lengths 22 off at 34 mph has been ok, but tough at my level of skiing. I am wondering if the Wakesetter VLX has a better and what other 05-06 SLXI owners experiences have been.

First, I love my "classic" SSLXI and think it is the best all-around boat that Malibu has ever made. However....even that boat has a killer bump at 22 off, even at 34 mph...

You might try a 4 blade prop and moving weight to the bow (anchors, battery) and running less than a half tank of fuel if possible.

I'd recommend avoiding a 4 blade if you want to improve the slalom wake.

You might try a 4 blade prop and moving weight to the bow (anchors, battery) and running less than a half tank of fuel if possible.

Really? That's typically been the opposite of what I've seen. That's why Malibu originally started using the 4 blades on the V drives. It improved holeshot and softened the wake. Same is true for my bud's '91 Nautique. CNC 4 blade makes a much nicer slalom wake than the standard 3 blade.

First, I love my "classic" SSLXI and think it is the best all-around boat that Malibu has ever made. However....even that boat has a killer bump at 22 off, even at 34 mph...

WHAT? Ever been behind a SN2001? Thats a killer bump!

As for the 4 blade, I have to agree with the dude, which is indeed a rarity. I'm pretty sure malibu went to the 4 blade on vdrives to have the added surface area of the prop for holeshot and speed holding, not to soften the wake. If wake softening was the purpose, why was there never a mass change to 4 blades in slalom boats when they become mopre prevalent in the late 90s? CC is the only one, and I think they have to do it or else their extrememly inefficient hull would take a mile to get to speed (exaggeration added for effect :) )

I had a 21.6 V drive putting a four blade on it definitely softened the wake. also as menchend play with rope length. At 41 off my V drive had a very good wake. also as stated the 99 - 04 SSlxi is the best 21.6 boat I have ever skied..... It's as good as my 07 Rlxi on a lite load of fuel.

I had a 21.6 V drive putting a four blade on it definitely softened the wake. also as menchend play with rope length. At 41 off my V drive had a very good wake. also as stated the 99 - 04 SSlxi is the best 21.6 boat I have ever skied..... It's as good as my 07 Rlxi on a lite load of fuel.

u being serious?

Just to clarify the SLXI is 21'8".

I'll try the various suggestions, rear seat does not come out on this model. I think I am stuck with the wake. I haven't gone to 28 off yet, I'll try it this w/e.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great boat and the wake is skiiable. I just wish Malibu wouldn't have so blatently mis-represented it. We were really on the fence between the SLXI and the RLXI. We take seveal runs a year in some deep water channels, (from Brentwood to Sacramento and Stockton for those of you who know the California Delta) and have large groups at times. I think I would have had regrets with either boat. RLXI is a great boat, but only seats 8 compared to 12, and not as comfortable in rough water. We had 11 and a large cooler in the boat for about 3 hours a few weeks ago and were very comfortable. Handling with the DD is also fantastic. Hey, I was skiing behind an '85 I/O Cobalt last summer Thumbup.gif

Thanks all for the responses (no pun intended)

We have a 2005 sunsetter 21xti and we ski recreationally. We got this boat for all the reasons you want a crossover boat and we are happy with it. We used to have a Gekko GTO-22 and the ski wake was practically nonexistent. I have found the wake on our sunsetter xti to be quite a bit harder but definitely ski-able. Now here's something strange. I had a girl's day at the lake and our boat was loaded up with 7 ladies. The water was quite nice and a couple of us decided to ski. We put 3 in the bow and 3 in the observers seat and I swear that wake was flatter and softer that when we just have one to drive and one to flag. I'm thinking it was the bow weight that helped but I'll have to do some more testing to see.

I purchased a 2006 SLXI wiht the First, I love my "classic" SSLXI and think it is the best all-around boat that Malibu has ever made. However....even that boat has a killer bump at 22 off, even at 34 mph...

Until the VTX. Tongue.gif

Really? That's typically been the opposite of what I've seen. That's why Malibu originally started using the 4 blades on the V drives. It improved holeshot and softened the wake. Same is true for my bud's '91 Nautique. CNC 4 blade makes a much nicer slalom wake than the standard 3 blade.

I put a 4 blade on my Echelon, and found the wake to be softer and more symetrical than the 3 blade I took off.

I put a 4 blade on my Echelon, and found the wake to be softer and more symetrical than the 3 blade I took off.

I've heard that about the Response too. It might be worth a look if you can find a prop to try. I know it softened the already nice wake on my friend's 91 Nautique considerably going to a 4 blade.

I purchased a 2006 SLXI wiht the First, I love my "classic" SSLXI and think it is the best all-around boat that Malibu has ever made. However....even that boat has a killer bump at 22 off, even at 34 mph...

Until the VTX. Tongue.gif

I would hope the wake was softer than your old prop Crazy.gif