Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walter v-drive

Chia

a buddy of mine is looking at a 98 sunsetter that has had a new engine installed 100 hours ago. the current owner said that since then they have had to disconnect the warning light for the v-drive or they cannot get over 2,000rpm. is that light important??

the seller wants 33,000 for this boat, no wedge, no pp, single axle trailer. it is in canada eh.

one more thing is the oil pressure gauge constantly flutters (ie: never reads a constant pressure).

the boat drives well and has been around here for at least 2 years.

With as many boats I am seeing up for sale in a land-locked desert state, I would steer clear of that one. 33K? Seems really steep for a boat with no options. Just my .02

Edited by krward
a buddy of mine is looking at a 98 sunsetter that has had a new engine installed 100 hours ago. the current owner said that since then they have had to disconnect the warning light for the v-drive or they cannot get over 2,000rpm. is that light important??

the seller wants 33,000 for this boat, no wedge, no pp, single axle trailer. it is in canada eh.

one more thing is the oil pressure gauge constantly flutters (ie: never reads a constant pressure).

the boat drives well and has been around here for at least 2 years.

I sold my very nice '97 VLX three years ago for $23,000.00 - $33000 sounds awful high, esp with problems.

Just for reference, I bought an 04 VLX this year with MLS, wedge, Titan tower and racks and PP with no issues with the v-drive for $36k.

That pricing is probably competative for Alberta. For whatever reason, our boat prices are higher than the US.

The V-drive light issue is a wierd one. I don't think its a deal breaker, but I'd get it checked out for sure.

Oil pressure flutter might be a bad gage, bad ground, or an issue with the gage 'computer'.

Wedge is a ~$750 upgrade. Tower is at least $1500 plus install.

The number of older VLXs is pretty small in your area; it might be difficult to find another on local. That's something to consider. Also, none of the 'issues' sound catastophic.

Just my 2 cents.