Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Batteries - need to kill all power

I found lots of threads on charging and discharging dual batteries connected to a Perko switch, but didn't see anything covering how to completely shut off all battery power. (please point me to a link if I missed it)

After replacing an MLS drain pump this weekend because it had been left on all week and burned out, I am now really motivated to figure out if my batteries are wired properly. I bought my 2004 Sunsetter LXi last spring and it has an aftermarket amp, sub & speakers that draw lots of juice which is why I think the original owner had the second battery installed.

Everything works fine when starting & running (1/2/all) but the only thing that changes when I switch to Off is that the engine won't turn over. All other accessories work with the switch set to OFF (blower, nav lights, radio, and unfortunately the MLS pumps).

Is this working as designed? Now that I'm the proud owner of a new pump, I'd really like to be able to turn the switch to off and know that no matter what gets bumped during clean-up and last minute "I forgot my cell phone in the boat" visits under the cover, I'll return next weekend and everything will still be working.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Somebody may have wired things funny. If you follow the positive and negative runs, you should be able to figure out what you have pretty quickly. Then compare it to these perko diagrams to see what might be wrong. A battery isolator will complicate things a bit but you gotta know what you have before you can fix it. :unsure:

Yup...someone has the wiring messed up, IMHO. If you run all power to the COMMON on perko, then you will shut off ALL POWER when in the OFF position.

Somebody may have wired things funny. If you follow the positive and negative runs, you should be able to figure out what you have pretty quickly. Then compare it to these perko diagrams to see what might be wrong. A battery isolator will complicate things a bit but you gotta know what you have before you can fix it. :unsure:

Sounds like it's wired to run all the accessories off the second battery (and also allow the second battery to help start the boat if needed), which is what some people want. To keep that feature and still be able to shut off ALL power in the boat, you'll need to install a second battery on/off switch on the + side of the second battery that runs to the amps/accessory bus.

Appreciate the comments....at least it sounds like I can modify the wiring to get what I need.

I'll look at the wiring this weekend and post it along with a drawing showing what I think I should do to isolate the accessories so you experts can weigh in.

IIBW...but if you want true LOSS OF POWER, then you MUST connect everything to the common on the Perko. Otherwise, you are left at the mercy of remembering to shut everything down via switches, etc. Dontknow.gif

Appreciate the comments....at least it sounds like I can modify the wiring to get what I need.

I'll look at the wiring this weekend and post it along with a drawing showing what I think I should do to isolate the accessories so you experts can weigh in.