Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Bolts

king_kong

So yesterday we pulled the boat out of the water, after a week of riding down in Tennessee, to find that 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the wedge plat on had snapped. I'm just curious to know if this has happened to any one else? i've already fixed our wedge but just curious.

So yesterday we pulled the boat out of the water, after a week of riding down in Tennessee, to find that 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the wedge plat on had snapped. I'm just curious to know if this has happened to any one else? i've already fixed our wedge but just curious.

It seems to happen to a lot of them, I have read about dozens of instances on this forum the last few years. It seems to be a warranty item usually, but it seems that it must be a design flaw, too much force through not enough screws I suppose.

The floating wedge is welded to the struts, no screws.

When you fixed yours, did you use stainless screws ?, they are stronger in addition to not corroding.

Edited by Hman442

I have lost screws and have broken one once. The broken one was after one was lost and the others couldn't hold the wedge, then the foil separated from the legs leading to a bent arm. Now I check these bolts very often. Just yesterday, I pulled them all them all, one by one, and replaced the lock tight on them.

I have lost screws and have broken one once. The broken one was after one was lost and the others couldn't hold the wedge, then the foil separated from the legs leading to a bent arm. Now I check these bolts very often. Just yesterday, I pulled them all them, one by one, and replaced the lock tight on them.

Nice avatar! Thumbup.gif

Are these bolts breaking just underneath the heads?

If so, loctite won't prevent them from breaking, I'm thinking about going to titanium screws. Yes, I know the bolts may offer a little of a "safety" factor in case the wedge does see too much downforce. But, to me, it seems that these bolts just need to be stronger and that the transom can take just about any amount of force.

I know that the bolts on our '03 broke off...it was a warranty issue and had to do with the type or material (I think...don't hold me to that :unsure: ) that the bolt was made out of. I believe the replacement bolts were made out of something else more marine grade.

Our service center fixed it for us right away. This is when we lived in MN. I believe this is a known issue...

I still think that this is an issue with the bolts loosening up and then breaking off when the wedge foil starts "fluttering" in the prop wash. Check your bolts often.

It's possible, but with ours there was one bolt on the side that sheared that was clearly hollow in the center. In our case I think that this bolt failed, causing flutter which caused the other bolt to fail, then the whole thing just ripped off.

Have 2003 XTI and last season pulled the boat out and found the wedge held on by one bolt the others broke off at the head. It was covered under warranty, but I'm sure that would not be the case this year.