Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What if malibu's didn't exist?

GeorgeWBush

Who is seacond best?  

537 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to buy a boat tomorrow, but it could not be a malibu, what would you buy?

• mastercraft
    • correct craft
    • centurion
    • supra
    • supreme
    • tige
    • mb
    • calabria
    • moomba
    • epic
    • i/o all the way
    • Sanger
    • Gekko
    • Infinity
    • Wakecraft
    • Svfara

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• JohnDoe

• jetskipro550

• 1FootDan

MalibuNation

For years I've heard people rave about the Sanger ... what make them so appealing? Quality? Price?

PS I have no first hand experience with them. Thanks

For years I've heard people rave about the Sanger ... what make them so appealing? Quality? Price?

I think that what you get for the price is a big factor. They also handle really well. Part of that is due to the stringers being wood encased in fiberglass...which also is a reason why some people bash them. We still LOVE Malibu's, they have priced themselves up there with CC and Mastercraft and are out of our range. Our boat was probably only 2/3's the price of a 23 LSV.

One of the other things we really liked about the Sanger's are the wakes. The style is pretty similar to the Malibu's I have ridden behind and since we are used to that kind of wake that was a plus for us. Also, the surf wake is killer! It's very forgiving and the sweet spot is really long.

I just bought (actually ordered...I haven't received it yet) a 2008 Sanger DXII. Funny thing about the "wood" (actually aquatech products that are garanteed for life against delamination, rot and termites. See website for more info: http://www.affiliatedresources.net/subs/pr..._beam_plus.html ) is that this is what turned me away from Sanger before I informed myself and is what is driving me towards Sanger now that I am informed.

If anybody is interested in Sanger boats and why they are so appreciated by their owners, take the time to look at their factory tour. You can tour from their website: http://www.sangerboats.com/craftsmanship.html or from the BFC website: http://barefootcentral.com/SangerFactoryTour.htm

Enjoy!

If it's not a Malibu, i would have to say CC would be my first choice.

Centurion is all right

I can't stand mastercraft, their employees, their dealers, or the boat owners... way too snobby and over priced for me. (sorry for the general prejudice but my friends and I have been wronged too many times with the word mastercraft involved)

Sanger started out building racing boats and they are still pretty small relatively speaking, and have a reputation of building a good boat, = more bang for the buck. They made the medium list, but not the short list only because the nearest dealer is not close, and they're down I-5 a ways Yuk.gif

Sanger started out building racing boats...

Growing up one of my dad's buddies had a Sanger Hydro-Cat... Drool.gif That boat was beautiful...useless...but beautiful. :lol: The ultimate "Go-Fast" boat.

I would have 2 short lists - 1 that had 3 or 4 brands that I'd look at because of the local dealers, & another that had 2 brands that I wouldn't even consider because of those 2 dealers. Correct Craft, MB Sports, Supra & probably Sanger (although I know nothing of the local dealer) would be on the list to look at. Mastercraft & Calabria would be on the other list. Whether you're buying used or new, the local dealer IMO should be at least half of the equation. If it's new, you'll need some warranty help. If it's used you'll need parts, so either way the local support is really important.

A bass boat. Go back to fishing. I was a bass hole befor comming back to skiing.

Correct Craft for me, or im with you on the bass boat (catch a fish or a buzz or both Beer.gif )

Just look for CC's old bass or fish nautique! Anyone remember those? Classic stuff.

They made both, and also made the "Cuddy Nautique" in the very early 80s that was like a 25 foot cabin cruiser. Whats so funny is that CC still used its 3 color gel on the side, so they look like a ski nautique of the same era!

It's funny how Nautique had the Fish Nautique boat back in 1977 and now 30 years later, MC came out with there version, the CSX.

• 3 weeks later...

I would either go with a cc 210 (i actually like the seating and how the wake is shaped and just keeps its shape and gets bigger with more weight, but its overpriced), the supra 22 ssv Worlds Ed. (the only thing I don't like about it is the seating, wake is awesome), ORRR the Epic, which I might end up getting anyway. the wake is ridiculous, it handles really well, I like speakers on the transom but it makes the tower look naked! I'd have to throw some speakers up there just for the people in the boat and looks haha.. only thing I don't like is how plain it is in the inside.

Hey, thanks for at least putting the svfara on there.

I didn't vote for it unfortunetly since I test drove one around 2002.

It was very hard and uncomfortable, but I think it has great potential.

I would love to test drive one again, and I bet its way better now then in the past.

Since its a canadian made boat, I would look hard at it again if I was shopping.

I ended up voting for Supra. The CC and MC are too expensive in my mind for the same quality boat.

• 3 weeks later...

i have an 2008 SV3 in stock, and i have to say its the Bentley of wakeboard boats! It by far has the most elegant interior and softest ride through rough water.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say centurion, they produce a nice rig that Is set up well for surfing. I really like that they set higher In the water and you don't have to worry about taking one over the nose. That being said I love my Malibu and wouldn't trade It unless i didn't have any other options.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone who says centurion is an excellent boat and good quality may just be new to boating, blind or got really lucky. my grandpa has an elite bowrider and that thing is garbage! prop wash and turbulence are just the start of the crappy boat. after 9 years that thing is lucky it even floats. it rides rough, cavitates like a s.o.b, handles like a bus, and random screws and bolts show up every year from mystery locations. I can say first hand the materials used in it are cheap. the vinyl is thin, the carpet is garbage. ok thats enough of my bitching. id buy a mastercraft based on passengers and space. nautiques are amazing but they haven't figured out boating is more fun with more people and space to fit them in!

I was in the MC 197 down at Coble's a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it was great to ski behind and very nice to ride in. I didn't get to drive it but it seemed to handle nicely. I would take a hard look at that if getting a new boat now. I would have a hard time paying a premium over a Malibu for one but it was a nice boat.

anyone who says centurion is an excellent boat and good quality may just be new to boating, blind or got really lucky. my grandpa has an elite bowrider and that thing is garbage! prop wash and turbulence are just the start of the crappy boat. after 9 years that thing is lucky it even floats. it rides rough, cavitates like a s.o.b, handles like a bus, and random screws and bolts show up every year from mystery locations. I can say first hand the materials used in it are cheap. the vinyl is thin, the carpet is garbage. ok thats enough of my bitching. id buy a mastercraft based on passengers and space. nautiques are amazing but they haven't figured out boating is more fun with more people and space to fit them in!

I think they have come a long ways since 9 years ago. I have a friend very happy with his (although a bit underpowered - but that was his fault) Enzo.

Centurion because of the switchblade for surfing and maybe Tige. A lot has to do with the good things I have heard about these dealers as well as the Centurion dealer gave me a great deal on my Red Woody. Thumbup.gif