Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excellent Site and BB

Boatfreq

Love my 2001 Response LX,no problems at all until I bent the prop by running it into the bottom of the lake at about 20mph.Put a new prop on,boat runs as smooth as ever, but now had a leak that I was going insane trying to find.All the usual inboard things were checked,packing,drain plugs,etc.....couldnt find the darn leak.Googled "malibu boat problem" and this site was one that came up.I learned that my boat has an HDS (whos idea was that thing anyway ?) and that it could leak water into the boat after hitting something.With this info from this great site,the HDS is the next thing I'll be checking into to see if thats whats leaking.

A Great Big Thanks to all who own and operate this site.

Its really been a big help.

MH

...With this info from this great site,the HDS is the next thing I'll be checking into to see if thats whats leaking.

A Great Big Thanks to all who own and operate this site.

Its really been a big help.

A great big Welcome.gif right back atcha! :)

Believe me when I say that you've barely scratched the surface of the wealth of knowledge here. It really is an awesome site, and I'm excited to see you found it the way you did.

Welcome Boat.

Stick around, you'll learn a lot more :)

And, before you know it, you'll be helping others too! It's pretty amazing how we all end up knowing something that no one else does...

Cheers,

Mike

Hey there Boatfreq, welcome! Always good to see another NYer. Couple things, if you've searched out HDS info you've probably seen that it can leak in two different ways. One from the lid and one "internal." The first one even a blind banker could fix, the second is not for the average weekend DIYer.

Again something you probably already know, but you have Smooth Water Sports as an excellent resource about an hour north of you.

Welcome to the Crew! The HDS is a well documented leakage issue over the years. The concept was that any vibrations from the prop shaft would be negated when surrounded by water, though since water doesn't compress I'm not sure how effective it is.

Thanks for all the welcoming words.Great bunch of members here.

Its been confirmed that its the HDS leaking.Put water in the boat with it on the trailer and the water comes out where the prop shaft exits the bottom.Would not have thought the leak was at the stern because the water appears to flow in forward of the engine when the boat is put in the lake.

Oh well.Now I know what needs to be fixed.Might have some people near by that can take care of it.

Otherwise this Bu will be headed back to Pete in Glens Falls where I bought it.

MH

Welcome to the site and a question for you...are you the original owner?

And a question for the rest of the site...Do you have to be the original owner to have a problem like this covered under the lifetime hull warranty? And is the HDS nonsense covered under that warranty?

No,not the original owner.Im not sure how the lifetime hull warranty works for things like this.I do remember seeing other posts though about having it transfered for a price.Most warrantys cover factory defects.I know I caused this problem myself when I bent the prop hitting bottom.Im just going to have it fixed and get the boat back on the lake before our short season here in NY gets much closer to the end.

MH

And a question for the rest of the site...Do you have to be the original owner to have a problem like this covered under the lifetime hull warranty? And is the HDS nonsense covered under that warranty?

It is covered under warranty, but there are a couple of caveats as I understand it. You either have to be the original owner or the second owner, & if you're the second owner then you have to have paid for the warranty transfer. Any owners beyond that are out of luck AFAIK. The other thing about it is that if it was caused by a collision, that isn't covered. It has to fail under normal usage.

It is covered under warranty, but there are a couple of caveats as I understand it. You either have to be the original owner or the second owner, & if you're the second owner then you have to have paid for the warranty transfer. Any owners beyond that are out of luck AFAIK. The other thing about it is that if it was caused by a collision, that isn't covered. It has to fail under normal usage.

ICBW, but I was under the impression that you can be second owner, but the boat has to less then X years old too Dontknow.gif

ICBW, but I was under the impression that you can be second owner, but the boat has to less then X years old too Dontknow.gif

You are correct the transfer can only be done w/ in 3 years of:

• The date the boat was originally delivered to the first owner; or

• The date the boat was first put into service – for example, as a dealer “demo” or as a Malibu

Boats factory “demo.”

• 1 month later...

Well the Bu is finally back on the lake

where it should be this time of year.

Thanks to Pete at Smooth Water Sports

for fixing the HDS leak and

this web site for helping me find out

how the water was getting in the boat.

Really great to have a site like this one

to pass information around.

MH

So, why hasn't insurance coverage not been an option here? I have Allstate and if I damage anything on the boat over $100 which is my deductable, anything over that is covered. Now I have to check with my insurance agent and make sure that all this was explained to me correctly. I also have this "free" tow coverage that if my vehicle or boat breaks down they come out and tow the boat back to my house or cover any extra costs to get the boat back to the dock.

Edit: This tow coverage is only 1 time per year though...

Edited by 68Slalom