Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Triumph 71"

Lake.OD

I had a boo boo a few weeks back and my buddy did some serious damage to my old Kidder Redline 72". Cry.gif I loved that old ski.

I decided to upgrade to a new ski and got the HO Triumph. I took it out last week on my 7 day vacation and wow did I suck. It took me about three days to really learn how to make good cuts again. The ski seemed to keep slipping out from under me. In fact I wiped it out more in one week than the previous two years combined. I have many bad habits (like tail riding) and I noticed I actually got more comfortable on the ski as I shifted my weight forward.

I also noticed on the tail, the cross fin???? was set at a weird angle. The marks were 2, 5 and 7 degrees as memory serves and the fin was set about 1/8" BELOW the bottom number. Does this actually mean anything at all....? I just carve up the open water and a friend said he didn't even think that it would have any effect. However, it has to have some effect or it wouldn't be there....

The ski also seemed really "squirrelly" in the water. Did I just get a lot more aggressive ski and I need to use better form or is there something up with the fins?

Thanks in advance.

J

Do you have the older adjustable fin box or the newer one that only moves forward & backward?

Where are your bindings set? Middle hole? How fast are you skiing?

From what I've heard, the Triumph rides better with more weight on the front foot. (Check out the commentary on fifteenoff.com).

You can drop the brake/wing. It's generally recommended to not use it until you're running shorter than 22 off @ 34 MPH. It does do something for the ski, if properly adjusted. It's used to help slow down the ski as your are gliding to prepare for a turn. If you're not skiing in the course, it will typically just wear you out quicker.

I agree: try removing the wing. The Triumph is made to ride with a reasonably centered stance.

I'm not familiar with the Redline. If it's a comp ski you may be feeling the extra width of the Triumph. I came from a wider ski (the Charger) and find the Triumph to be a very stable, easy to turn ski. Some of my friends would rather have a true comp ski but I'm not ready to ski at their speeds (and lean angle).

Hope this helps,

Mike

Drop the wing, keep weight on the front foot, and let the ski finish in the turn. If you force a turn or ride the tail on the Triumph, it will not work properly. For a "intermediate" ski I found it to be pretty darn picky. Rides nice when you give it what it needs though.

Drop the fin? I hate it when my friends are right... yuck. I ride about 30 mph, and yes, the tail riding was a bad habit. It seems to be helping my form by using this ski vs the old red line. I will take the fin off and give it a whirl. It is a brand new ski btw. Any other thoughts?

Drop the fin? I hate it when my friends are right... yuck. I ride about 30 mph, and yes, the tail riding was a bad habit. It seems to be helping my form by using this ski vs the old red line. I will take the fin off and give it a whirl. It is a brand new ski btw. Any other thoughts?

Yikes, don't take the fin off! Remove the wing or run it at 7-9 degrees. The wing does help with stability so even at long line I would run the wing on a skittish ski. Try it both ways. Run it at 9 degrees and then remove it.

Also don't ride with your butt back, think about keeping your hips forward> toward your direction of travel and shoulders level and facing down course.

Edited by Rod S
Yikes, don't take the fin off! Remove the wing...
:lol: That would be a wild ride. Yes.gif I'll third the recommendation of removing the wing from the fin. I've had all of my ski buddies that ride down around 30 mph ditch the wing and every one of them likes it better w/o.

Surprised.gif The ride with out the fin would truly be a stunt!

Thanks for the advice. The wing (sorry, not the fin!) was set waaaaay below the 2 degree mark. Everyone says to leave the factory settings, but I have to think this is not right.

I will try it at the highest number (7 degrees as memory serves) and then take it off. What effect does it have raising the angle????

Thanks again...

You'll want it at 9 degrees, with the wings on the bottom of the attachment.

The recommended/factory setting for all the HO Monza, System 8 & Triumphs are 9 degrees upside down.

It is supposed to help pull down the back of the ski, dropping more of the ski in the water & help you decelerate for the turn.

Depending on how aggressively you are crossing the wake, you'll also want to stop pulling hard after you cross the second wake. You're then gliding out into then next turn. If you continue to pull after the second wake, you'll likely have too much speed and won't be able to turn the ski well, will get lots of slack in the line, etc.

Great topic Lake.OD

I bought an HO Vengeance last year and find it very different to ski. I was skiing on an old Connelly Team 1. I am just a rec skier as well and was wondering what the wing did. Thanks to you guys I now know. I will try removing it and see how that goes because come to think of it I am decellerating alot going into the cut. :werule: Thanks again everyone.

W.L.