Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you do?

I was wondering if I could get some advice from the board on what you would do...the other day I was making a slow speed (2 mph) uturn and heard a noise like when you turn the steering wheel to far in a car and the powersteering let's you know. I immediatly backed off turing the steering wheel and the noise stopped. When I took the boat out of the water later that day, I noticed all four blades on my prop had a ding in them. My rudder had a shiny spot on the back, top elbow and it was obvious upon inspection that the rudder had not stopped and had swung all the way around and clipped the prop causing the damage.

My first thought was "f**K $450 for a new prop". My next thought was "that shouldn't be able to happen". The rudder should stop to the left and right preventing it from turning all the way around. I took the boat (06 Sunscape) to the local dealer and the service manager discovered that the two nuts holding the rudder were loose and almost off the bolts. After they were tightened the rudder stopped left and right.

It's a long story but the short of it is I bought the boat new from a dealer in CA and had it delivered to me in another state. The dealer in my state said that these nuts should have been checked as part of the "dealer prep". I called Malibu Factory and l was surprised to learn that the boat was orginally ordered for a boat show and the CA dealer requested that all the underside gear not be installed at the factory and that they would install the rudder, prop, shaft, fins after the show (I wasn't told about this). I called the service manager in CA and he said that the bolts should have been checked at the 20 hour service and that since this happened at 32 hours it wasn't his fault.

Here is my question...who do you think is responsible...the dealer who installed the orginal equipment and who could possibly have not tightened the nuts completely or the dealer who did the 20 hour service and should have discovered the loose nuts (is this a typical 20 hour check item?) or no one - it was just bad luck? What would you do?

My guess is one in 100 dealers my have cought that. I just don't think a dealer has time to check every nut and bolt. I bet no locktight was used on install or just not tight. I bet the dealer that sold it would have missed it on 20 hr check. If your familiar with inboards you will get two full turnd to right or lift more or less you may have problems. (IMHO) Dontknow.gifInnocent.gifWhistling.gif

One of the downsides of buying from a non-local dealer. I've done it on both of my Malibu's and readily understand that I have little leverage when it comes to issue that could be the responsibility of multiple parties.

FWIW, my non-local dealer has been great about helping me with issues from 200 miles away...no complaints on my end.

I would bet the farm that no dealer checks that at pre-delivery or any hour inspection. Your still in warranty, and it did not work right, so it's Malibus problem in my opinion.

I had that happen to me the first time I took out my old boat. The dealer I bought it from took care of it right away swapping out for a new prop.

In my case it ultimately turned out that the wrong rudder had been put on my boat, which they eventually took care of as well.

I would think that the CA dealer should make this right for you. Maybe talk with Malibu directly if there is a problem.

I would be inclined to say that it's NOT Malibu's problem if they shipped it with the rudder off the boat. It would be the dealer that installed the rudder to repair. I would balk at the repair if I was the second dealer too and I was not getting paid for the shop time.

I would be inclined to say that it's NOT Malibu's problem if they shipped it with the rudder off the boat. It would be the dealer that installed the rudder to repair. I would balk at the repair if I was the second dealer too and I was not getting paid for the shop time.

Plus1.gif I would clarify that I think that for me it's more like "if Malibu was asked to ship the boat in that manner & they obliged the dealer". Said dealer is then responsible in my book. But proving it & getting satisfaction from them is probably a whole 'nother story though.

I think that Malibu is responsible for the repair. If they choose to ship boats in that condition, that is sort of their problem. It was still a problem at delivery and it should still be covered under warranty. If Malibu is going to ship boats without running gear, then they should inform the recieving dealer that they are responsible for any problems with the installation at a later date. It should be done in writing so that you don't wind up with finger pointing later. It isn't MalibuMike's responsibility to know that his rudder should only turn so many turns either way, it is Malibu and their dealer's responsibility to properly prepare the boat for the customer and make it right if it is not.

Frankly it shouldn't matter to you the customer who's responsibility it was. The local dealer should fix it, and then they, the original dealer and Malibu should figure out which of the three is going to pay for the repair. They should do this behind the scenes.

Frankly it shouldn't matter to you the customer who's responsibility it was. The local dealer should fix it, and then they, the original dealer and Malibu should figure out which of the three is going to pay for the repair. They should do this behind the scenes.

Plus1.gif

There could have been monster liability issues if this happened at high speed. I would be P.O.'ed. Perhaps a bad analogy but you can take your GM to any dealer in North America for warranty work. If the boats under warranty his local dealer should be trying his damdest to help out, make a positive from a negative and gain a new customer. JMHO

Thanks for all the comments. After a few calls between Malibu and the orignal dealer the problem has been resolved. Malibu will reimburse me for the replacement prop and the dealer will reimburse Malibu as it was not a warranty issue, but a dealer installation issue. The local Malibu dealer who did the 20 hour service had no responsibility and were very helpful to diagnosis and fix the problem. I'm waiting to hear from the orginal dealer if they will cover having the boat looked over by one of their affiliate stores in my area to make sure all the parts they installed are tight and right.