Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Humbeling Statistic

Lakenut

We have a no booze on the boat policy. Anyone who has will only be a passenger (no participation in water sports or driving). But they will leave the bottles and or cans on the beach or in the vehicle.

This policy was instated years ago after an altercation. I was no involved, but was a a victim of sorts.

We have a no booze on the boat policy. Anyone who has will only be a passenger (no participation in water sports or driving). But they will leave the bottles and or cans on the beach or in the vehicle.

This policy was instated years ago after an altercation. I was no involved, but was a a victim of sorts.

Glad I have three boats. I believe in banning dumbass people not the instrument Beer.gif

As a 24-year Coast Guardsman, I will not allow alcohol on my boat. I've seen firsthand the damage that it can do, and it's just not worth it. Bring some water, some Gatorade, or whatever, but if you want beer, you ain't coming on my boat. If you don't like it; tough beans.

I am strongly fighting the urge to get on my soapbox. I'll just say that alcohol only makes the accidents worse; it doesn't CAUSE the accidents. Dumba$$es cause accidents. Call 'em what they are.

I am strongly fighting the urge to get on my soapbox. I'll just say that alcohol only makes the accidents worse; it doesn't CAUSE the accidents. Dumba$$es cause accidents. Call 'em what they are.

Did you read the article? 6 of the 7 deaths are drownings.

And this discussion comes up again...

I have said it many times, but will say it again, I don't drink when out on our boat. Its not that I couldn't have a few and drive just fine, but when out on the water accidents can happen and I don't want any of the blame to lay on alcohol. When I am out on friends boats, I will drink all I want cause I don't have the responsibility of "being in charge."

Those of you not familiar with Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri would have to see it to believe it. Total drunk fest and the most dangerous waterway I have ever seen. Some of those drownings were in "Party Cove" where, and I'm NOT exaggerating, thousands of boats crowd in on a typical Saturday to get totally sloshed. The smell of dope or the sight of a floating condom are typical. On those recent drownings: In one instance, a boat load of guys were leaving the cove when they noticed one of their buddies was missing, he floated up a couple days later. In another, a guy lost his sunglasses, dove down to retrieve them and never came back.

We had some friends that were down there and had their daughter treated at a local hospital for a cut on her leg. They were told to absolutely not let her swim in the party cove...area hospitals are seeing bad infections due to people swimming in the water heavely invested by bacteria created from the thousands of drunks.

I like to party as much as the next guy, but this ones really getting out of hand. As the numbers continue to grow, so will the deaths.

And this discussion comes up again...

I have said it many times, but will say it again, I don't drink when out on our boat. Its not that I couldn't have a few and drive just fine, but when out on the water accidents can happen and I don't want any of the blame to lay on alcohol. When I am out on friends boats, I will drink all I want cause I don't have the responsibility of "being in charge."

...but you're still responsible for yourself... Whistling.gif

Glad I have three boats. I believe in banning dumbass people not the instrument Beer.gif

Rockon.gif True

Some people just can't handle their alcohol.

I never have alcohol on my boat, when my son is with me.

My ice chest looks like this the rest of the time. for the enjoyment of the crew of course.

post-149-1183388686_thumb.jpg

My ice chest looks like this the rest of the time. for the enjoyment of the crew of course.

Screw that...there's no ice.

Also, what percentage of the 100% dead were stupid?

Screw that...there's no ice.

Also, what percentage of the 100% dead were stupid?

I thought being from Texas you liked it hot.

Apparently people missed the point of the article.. they weren't drunk operators.. they were drunk drownings..

I'm sure I'm a jerk for thinking that it is just darwin at work -

Did you read the article? 6 of the 7 deaths are drownings.

I agree...

6 of 7 people died

4 out of 5 doctors like crest

9 out of 10 people agree I am an a******...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." -Mark Twain

I agree about Darwin. This is the same fight about gun control. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The gun is just an victim of circumstances.

The article is very vague. If you think about it, if a person had one beer then the death was "alcohol involved." I noticed that there was no data for BAC of the people, Data on were they wearing a vest, data on what they were doing when they died etc.

I am not defending being drunk and boating, I am defending one's right to have a cold beer after a good set.

Edited by Rson
Apparently people missed the point of the article.. they weren't drunk operators.. they were drunk drownings..

I'm sure I'm a jerk for thinking that it is just darwin at work -

Here, here. The one thing that will get you banned from my boat, is NOT bringing alcohol Biggrin.gif

You know what they say......................

Gas, Grass or a**, nothing rides for free. Biggrin.gifROFL.gif

Yup, that's us as well, although I've found a peculiar link between the 2. But with that said, we don't drink on the water. Not because we're prudes or anything, it's just that when we get thirsty we don't get thirsty for alcohol (that makes it worse). Gatorade, iced tea & water is pretty much what we keep in the boat to drink (the occasional frappacino will makes its way into the cooler :)). And I absolutely agree with the personal responsibility comment, a person should be responsible for themselves & their actions regardless of where they are or whose boat they're on. Impairment by alcohol doesn't change that IMO.

When the day comes that you deperately try to recessitate one of your dearest friends after he has been run over by another boater while you are pulling him up for slalom set, and the person whom ran over him turns out to be a very educated experienced boater whom would easily pass any stupidity test and determined to be fully competent at boat operation except for the one day when it got a little hot outside and he had that one beer too many. A tiny little error in judgement. When that day comes you will very quickly feel much differently about this very topic with regards to your right and the rights of others to consume alcohol and operate a boat. Most of the dumbass people we would like to ban as a result of their actions are perfectly normal acting humans until that point when "one too many" rears it's ugly head. Usually without any warning to those whom are not in his/her immediate presense.

When your recessitation efforts are largely unsuccessful; a feeling of desperation beyond words sinks in as you relentlessly work in a very trained way to achieve the impossible. If you have a foolproof way to raise the dead then I am all ears. But until that time, think about it very carefully when you take the people you care most about out for a day doing what you love the most. The guy on the ramp next to you whom looks to have altogether with a nice boat, truck, hot chick, kids of his own and the appearance of years of experience could very well be the face of the person whom for the rest of your life will wake you up from the middle of a sound sleep with a cold sweat and feelings of anxious desperation as you experienced that very moment when you realized that nothing you could do would save the life that just slipped away in your arms.

Your absolutely right when you say that alcohol itself didn't kill this man but rather the person who drank the alcohol. 21 years later I can clearly see the logic of your argument. However the experience of that day and those that follow severely cloud the logic of that which was effectively a lapse in logical good judgement brought on by the tiny error lin judgement by the rather seductive effects of alcohol consumption. This happening to what was essentially by all other measure a really good man.

Twelve years later it was the same error in judgement of a otherwise really good mom who on Christmas day, felt she deserved a little more reward for all her good mom holiday work. As a result of her error in judgement I got the unique priviledge of spending 3+ months in a comma, with nearly everthing from my chin to my knees broken. Five plus years of learning to walk, constant pain, financial sufferage beyond measure and two years beyond that to just ski again. Lesson learned. Another person whom by all outward apperances was a very fine wife and mother with just a tiny lapse in good judgement. As she readily admitted, alcohol has a unique way of lulling you in just a little deeper till such time that these kind of errors are made.

This not soapbox banter, but just a real accurate reporting of real life situations that are puzzling even today that they happened. Why you might think? Because all the external warnings, as we might typically look for, were markably absent immediately prior to the events as described. Again if you know a way to identify the problem the instant before it happens; and can prevent such a tragedy from occuring when the typical warning signs are absent, then I am all ears!! Hell ! if you can show me how to completely disable the stupid switch in people when alcohol or other mind altering recreational activities are enjoyed without regard, I'll buy you the next case of whatever is your favorite.

Edited by multiplemalibufamily

Drinking some brews are great fun, especially on the water.

Nobody ever said drinking and driving where OK. Bad things will happen,like they did to you.