Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RAIN

Mike d Wakeboarder

Do you cover your boat in the rain?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cover your boat in the rain?

• yes, i don't want it to rain on my expensive investment
    • no, the rain is not going to hurt the boat

I'll cover at night and if it's going to rain, just makes it more fun for me when the interior is dry. :)

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of water comes in along the tower (illusion) even when the cover is on? After a rain I'll have a small pool of water in the area aft of the cabin speakers and in the cup holders. I've thought about adding some rubber sheets to the cover holes around the tower. This might fit a bit tighter to direct water away from the interior of the boat. Yeah I'm a little picky :blush::unsure:

Thanks,

Dave

I keep the boat under a carport, but still use the cover - mostly to keep the neighborhood cats out! Knew I was going out the next day, so I left off the cover. Came out the next morning found cat hair on the seats and a freshly coughed-up hairball on the carpet. Yuk.gif

Takes a little extra time, but it's worth it to keep the boat clean.

I'll cover at night and if it's going to rain, just makes it more fun for me when the interior is dry. :)

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of water comes in along the tower (illusion) even when the cover is on? After a rain I'll have a small pool of water in the area aft of the cabin speakers and in the cup holders. I've thought about adding some rubber sheets to the cover holes around the tower. This might fit a bit tighter to direct water away from the interior of the boat. Yeah I'm a little picky :blush::unsure:

Thanks,

Dave

ya i have that same problem ever time it rains.

• 2 weeks later...
Who carries their cover with them, int the boat, when on the water for a weekend? Dontknow.gif If it rains while you're out, the boat is going to get wet.

Guess becuase I live in CA I don't think much about getting some random rainshower in the middle of a trip (pretty uncommon)

Over the 4th of July week I rented a slip on Canyon Lake. It rained every day we were there. I left my bimini top up to keep the rain from directly hitting the dash, etc. but didn't put the full cover on. However, the bimini wasn't adjusted properly and the water rain off of the side straight down onto my stereo head unit (yes the stereo flip up cover was down). I just purchased a new head unit yesterday as the other was toast! Cry.gif Won't be doing that again!!!!

• 1 year later...

As I was looking at used boats, one of the first questions I asked was if it had been under cover.... I didn't even look at boats that were not taken care of and hadn't been either garaged, or covered.

I saw one that was an '07 with 25 hrs on it and looked like a pretty good boat until you took out the cusions. They were molded and had mildew under them. Probably had never been wiped off or dried out. Certainly didn't take long for me to make up my mind and leave it alone.

Why would anyone spend that much money and not wipe their boat down, dry it out and keep it under cover!!! I guess they have more money to spend than I do. This is an investment to me. We enjoy our boat, but we also take care of it.

By the way the boat is still for sale and that was about 3 months ago when I looked at it.

i just went out and covered my VLX about a hour and half ago because it was starting to rain. my question is will the rain hurt anything in the boat. i don't mean a down pour for hours but just a normal rain for about a half an hour. do you cover your boat in the rain, or leave it uncovered?

Personally if I see the cloud coming I will cover it because I hate everything getting soaked and the carpet can take a while to dry out. I do leave it uncovered during the day when we are using it but always cover it at the end of the day. On the other hand it is a boat and it does get wet while doing water sports but at least you can isolate the areas that get wet. JMHO

W.L. Thumbup.gif

Boy you guys that get all that sun are sure spoiled!! Whistling.gif We get rained on at least twice a week and always have the cover in the boat. The thunderstorms build really fast as they cross East over the mountains to our home lake. If you don't have a cover you may get drenched or hailed on. I was really happy to have the bimini up during a freak hail storm last year!!! Still lots of hail in the boat, but no bruised and battered kids. I would love to be able to leave it uncoverd for a weekend and really let things dry out. The weather doesn't cooperate very often

I'm with White Lightning - Always cover at night and if I see rain clouds with the potential for a down pour the boat gets covered. My boats sits in the water most of the summer and not in a lift; out once a week for a general cleaning of the interior and hull.

• 2 weeks later...
martinarcher
Who carries their cover with them, int the boat, when on the water for a weekend? Dontknow.gif If it rains while you're out, the boat is going to get wet.

Guess becuase I live in CA I don't think much about getting some random rainshower in the middle of a trip (pretty uncommon)

I've been known to bring it...

If I'm out for the weekend and it rains that's completely different that being stored. Mine sits in the garage, I've never leave it out even if it was covered, just couldn't do it.... :(

Plus1.gif

Thanks,

Dave

My 2004 LSV had that problem. I had boots added to the cover that go up the tower about 1 ft. Even though the boots had draw strings, I finished it off with a tight bungee cord. No more leaks. Well worth the 150.00. The cover for my 2008 has a similar boot with elastic cord sewn in.

• 1 month later...
martinarcher

Well the Bu got real wet last night. We got to the lake and right as I am preparing to launch, the heavens opened up! It poured really hard for about 10 minutes. It let up, two rainbows showed up with the sun, and we put the soaking wet boat in and wakeboarded on the glass until dark. Rockon.gif That's the smoothest I've seen the lake in a while. It started raining again on the way back to the dock, so I sat under the bridge until it let up. We certainly had fun, but boy was the boat a mess to dry out and clean up when I got home. That's the first I've towed it in the rain too - road grime sucks! It was worth the extra effort though - we had a blast!

I know there a lot of +'s and -'s about the Commercial Sewing covers but one + is it rolls up real small and fits in a fairly small bag. Therefore, I keep it onboard all the time.

I have always thought leaving a boat out in the rain is like leaving your car in the rain with all the windows down.