Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RAIN

Mike d Wakeboarder

Do you cover your boat in the rain?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cover your boat in the rain?

• yes, i don't want it to rain on my expensive investment
    • no, the rain is not going to hurt the boat

i just went out and covered my VLX about a hour and half ago because it was starting to rain. my question is will the rain hurt anything in the boat. i don't mean a down pour for hours but just a normal rain for about a half an hour. do you cover your boat in the rain, or leave it uncovered?

Rain during boating season Dontknow.gifDontknow.gif:)

But if I had to worry about (like we did when I was growing up) I'd throw the cover on it. Especially in the midwest when it sometimes took a while to dry out in the humidity.

Edited by Addictedto6

Have always kept mine in the garage, but if I had to keep the Bu outside, I would definitely cover to keep the interior and gauges out of the elements including sun, wind, bird sheot, critter footprints, tree sap and the light rain that would continue to deteriorate the value of my investment.

Mook

I wouldn't want it to rain on my new or old boat uncovered. Hurts resale when you trying to sell it and the boat has sat outside uncovered. I am lucky mine fits in the garage and I have a fan blowing on it to try and keep everything dry.

When we camped overnight we always put the cover on the boat. For many reasons bugs, dirt, rain etc. I didn't get the cover to not use it. Nothing is worse than the smell of mildew if rain gets to somewhere and you don't air it out. Just my .02

with the amount of electronics in our boats these days if you can avoid getting too much water in it why not? its a safer bet IMO...

I cover mine, but only to stop from losing the electronics and because I have so much crap stored under the seats I wouldn't want to have a mold problem.

I am very anal..... Tease.gif I even cover mine while in storage. I have it located in an enclosed storage with concrete floors, locked doors, etc. Even with all that, I cover her up, and go one step beyond, I put a dehumidifier under the cover with the drain hose leading thru the floor hull drain. Like others have stated, a lot of electronics, that I figure if I can keep dry, the better chances of them working when I need them. You would be surprised at the puddle of water under the boat coming from the dehumidifier drain hose all the time. I live in Houston where the humidity is very bad ALL the #*#^!$ time. However, with what I do with the humidifier....my BU is nice and dry every time I pull her out and she never has that musty smell!!! Let's see....hmmm I love my wife....but do I do as much for her.....???? Love.gif

In the yard (car tent) it is always covered. On vacation, were the boat is in the water for three weeks, I will cover the boat if it is raining steady, but not for a quick shower. If there is no chance of rain, I will not even cover it during the overnight, but will wipe down the interior every morning with cloth diapers which I keep six of in the boat at all times. They work great, absorb alot of water, and wring out nice and dry.

I believe he is talking about while the boat is out of storage, maybe at the dock. Lets say you dock your boat to run get lunch and a rain shower comes in. Do you stop what you are doing and go cover it up or let it get wet?

I believe he is talking about while the boat is out of storage, maybe at the dock. Lets say you dock your boat to run get lunch and a rain shower comes in. Do you stop what you are doing and go cover it up or let it get wet?

ya i was out last week and had just docked to wait on some friends and then get some lunch and go back out and we had a quick 10 min down pour and i did not cover it untill the last 1 min of the rain. then i had to take the cover right ack off. i am getting good at taking it on and off i will say.

The choices on the poll are poor.

I won't vote because I can't answer yes to both.

1) I do cover my boat to protect the investment.

2) The occasional rain won't hurt anything.

Bottom line, I cover when not in use, and when in storage, as both instances minimize the cleaning I have to do. Lastly when the boat is at the dock, I am not going to bust my but to get the cover on if a quick shower rolls through. Conversely if the forecast calls for a deluge, I will put the cover on.

Yeah that makes sense. I store mine under a cover all the time, so it never gets wet. But when I'm on the water I don't worry about it if a storm comes in. But then again here in California, we don't worry about that very much. Tease2.gif

Edited by vlxjeff
I don't worry about it if a storm comes in. But then again here in California, we don't worry about that very much. Tease2.gif

Cover = ON overnights but not the end of the world if it gets wet between sets. I would usually throw a towel over dash out of habit. It occasionally rains in Seattle...

Edited by Green_Giant
The choices on the poll are poor.

I won't vote because I can't answer yes to both.

1) I do cover my boat to protect the investment.

2) The occasional rain won't hurt anything.

Bottom line, I cover when not in use, and when in storage, as both instances minimize the cleaning I have to do. Lastly when the boat is at the dock, I am not going to bust my but to get the cover on if a quick shower rolls through. Conversely if the forecast calls for a deluge, I will put the cover on.

I agree with this, but would add that I'll even leave it uncovered even in a deluge if I know that I've got dry weather in the next couple of days to get it dried out. So, I'm more likely to let it get wet early in a long weekend than on the last day of the long weekend. It sits on a lift with its cover on when we're not there. Bottom line for me is that its a boat and I don't mind it getting wet, I just do what I can to keep from having to put it away wet.

However, with what I do with the humidifier....my BU is nice and dry every time I pull her out and she never has that musty smell!!! Let's see....hmmm I love my wife....but do I do as much for her.....???? Love.gif

Wow, there's almost too many ways to go with this... :)

Hello!! It's a boat. A boat's natural habitat is, what do we call it, oh yeah, water.

I cover mine whenever I am away from it overnight, but if it rains during a day's outing, oh well.

Who carries their cover with them, int the boat, when on the water for a weekend? Dontknow.gif If it rains while you're out, the boat is going to get wet.

Guess becuase I live in CA I don't think much about getting some random rainshower in the middle of a trip (pretty uncommon)

I will generally cover it when a long or really heavy rain is expected or when rain will happen over night. If it rains while we're out, the boat gets wetter than normal - or we go home. I've even towed it uncovered in the rain because I haven't gotten a towable cover (yet) and had to modify the mooring cover for the tower and did not want to risk the gel damage. The interior was a mess to clean up after the tow, but I didn't have to worry about repairing and matching gel when I got there. I'm looking forward to getting my towable cover ....

Who carries their cover with them, int the boat, when on the water for a weekend? Dontknow.gif If it rains while you're out, the boat is going to get wet.

Guess becuase I live in CA I don't think much about getting some random rainshower in the middle of a trip (pretty uncommon)

I've been known to bring it...

If I'm out for the weekend and it rains that's completely different that being stored. Mine sits in the garage, I've never leave it out even if it was covered, just couldn't do it.... :(

When not in use the cover is always on however at the lake if it rains I just throw a towel over the dash.

As far as seats, carpet, etc it's a watersports boat, it's always got people in it who are wet so it gets wet !

i just went out and covered my VLX about a hour and half ago because it was starting to rain. my question is will the rain hurt anything in the boat. i don't mean a down pour for hours but just a normal rain for about a half an hour. do you cover your boat in the rain, or leave it uncovered?

Personally if I see the cloud coming I will cover it because I hate everything getting soaked and the carpet can take a while to dry out. I do leave it uncovered during the day when we are using it but always cover it at the end of the day. On the other hand it is a boat and it does get wet while doing water sports but at least you can isolate the areas that get wet. JMHO

W.L. Thumbup.gif