Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who actually carries a spare prop???

I got my OJ 475 and spare kit today. As I was pulling the old prop I wondered how many actually carry a spare prop all the time??? After I re propped my last boat I think I found a place for it but I don't think I'll lug it around for day trips...

Now if I'm going for a weekend or more I think it would be a no brainer...

Anyone else???

PS, YES I am too lazy (and never tried) to set up a poll. Biggrin.gif

Pat

I always carry a spare prop. However, the only times I've needed the spare prop, the damage extended to the shaft and strut anyway, so it really didn't matter.

I bought the plastic case with all the tools in it and you can lock it too..... very nice set up .

Bent prop , made it back to boat ramp , changed prop , finished out the day Biggrin.gif

I always carry my spare prop. And, all the tools and then some to replace it.

I used to carry it on the boat but now, I just keep it in the tow vehicle figuring I'd have to put the boat on the trailer to change the prop.

I used to carry it on the boat but now, I just keep it in the tow vehicle figuring I'd have to put the boat on the trailer to change the prop.

Plus1.gif

Yeah,

Like, why wouldn't you carry a spare tire? If the tire goes flat or you ding your prop, your day is done. Doesn't matter if you're only on a day trip.

Do you have a back up for your back up? Crazy.gif

I carry my spare when ever I head out for more then a day trip.

except the one time I needed it at the rent a lake last yr. Cry.gif

I only take it on multi day trips... figure having to return to the ramp, pull the boat out, and swap a prop.. would probably just have me heading home on a day trip.

I don't cary my spare in the boat.. agree that I'll have to put it on the trailer to swap it anyway - no need to take up boat storage space

Like that's a surprise to anyone Tease.gif

I carry one, and the tools/case, too - every time.

I only take it on multi day trips... figure having to return to the ramp, pull the boat out, and swap a prop.. would probably just have me heading home on a day trip.

I don't cary my spare in the boat.. agree that I'll have to put it on the trailer to swap it anyway - no need to take up boat storage space

Well, the argument to the day trip thing is that if you don't swap it then & there to go back out & at least test to make sure that you don't have a vibration where you shouldn't, then you stand the chance of screwing up the next trip out. If you live close to the lake, probably not a big deal. But if you have an hour drive like we do....I want to be able to put her back in the water & see if anything else is damaged.

Well, the argument to the day trip thing is that if you don't swap it then & there to go back out & at least test to make sure that you don't have a vibration where you shouldn't, then you stand the chance of screwing up the next trip out. If you live close to the lake, probably not a big deal. But if you have an hour drive like we do....I want to be able to put her back in the water & see if anything else is damaged.

I had felt the same way as Troy. However Tracie brings up a good point!

Pat

We have 2 kinds of 'day' trips.

One where we just plan on spending a few hours on the lake. Don't take the spare for that.

One where we plan on being on the water from early AM to late at night. I do take the spare for those.

We've had some minor damage to prop from impacts, but see enough floating or slightly submerged logs/branches to want a spare handy.

Fortunately, I replaced/upgraded the prop this spring. I needed a BIG hammer (full size sledge held about 6" from the head) to get the old one off. I put a little OB prop shaft grease on before I pushed the new prop into place. I needed the puller to break it free, but didn't have to hit it with a hammer. As I snugged up the puller, it popped free.