Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Down-turned Exhaust

Charlie

I have an 01' VLX with the standard exhaust flaps and I want to put down-turned tips on so we can minimize the fumes while surfing. I figure I may need what's left of my brain cells someday...

I found a few threads on the topic, but I wasn't able to determine what the best option was. I don't want to drill new holes in the transom and my dealers response to what is available was confusing.

Anyone know where I can buy some down-turns that'll use the factory screw holes? Dontknow.gif

Thanks,

Charlie

When I put the turndowns on my boat, I did have to drill a couple of new bolt holes, but the "big holes" were reused. It was not a big deal to drill the bolt holes, the old unused holes were covered by the flange of the turn down & silicone prevents any leaking, etc.

Lance - Thanks for the response.

Where did you get you turndowns at? Are you happy with them?

-Charlie

When I put the turndowns on my boat, I did have to drill a couple of new bolt holes, but the "big holes" were reused. It was not a big deal to drill the bolt holes, the old unused holes were covered by the flange of the turn down & silicone prevents any leaking, etc.

I used the stainless baffled (makes it a little quieter) turndowns like these: http://www.hpisilencers.com/

I bought mine through my Malibu dealer in Madras Oregon. I think they look good on the trailer & they do take the edge offof the sound while running at speed.

Plus1.gif I had to do the same thing :blush: I just did mine because it looks good.

I bought mine through my Malibu dealer in Madras Oregon. I think they look good on the trailer & they do take the edge offof the sound while running at speed.

and..... I think it cut down the noise for surfing as well.

I have a pair from my 05 VLX that I'd sell cheap! I replaced them with the muffler-type tips (from Peter at Smooth Water). I didn't find the turn downs to provide any quieter ride and can't comment on fume reduction as I was switching models when I got the VLX.

Keith - I sent you a pm. Thanks, Charlie

You have the straight tips or the turndowns for sale?

The plain turndowns (without the muffler inside).