Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs. 23 LSV Wakes

Hack

What's the difference in the wake and driving characteristics? How much does the $6K buy you other than the obvious more interior space? Thoughts on pros and cons would be welcome. BTW, thanks again to everybody for your feedback. This will obviously be a significant purchase for me and being knowledgeable about the product really helps to make me more comfortable.

From what I have read, your choice will depend on your desire for space mostly. Assuming you are looking at new boats, both throw considerably nice wakes all the way back. I have not driven a 23 lsv, but I would imagine it wouldnt be too different from the VLX. If you are planning on building a "world class pro level" wake, the LSV is the popular choice among the malibu team riders. From what I have heard, Mr. Nunn's LSV has the biggest wake in florida (which I think he sold to lyman). He was also runnning upwards of 4000 plus lbs of weight; probably even more. D-dubs down in So-cal also has an LSV which is running close to 6k in weight, so much in fact that they drain the sacs each time they pull a rider, then flip the switches. At that level the wake is stupidly huge.

IMO if on average you ride with a crew lower than 6, the vlx is where its at, unless you want to run a monster wake setup.

I debated and went with the LSV, because I thought it handled choppy water a bit better, and really enjoy the extra space after being crammed in my old boat. Its nice to have the space and not need it, then to want it and not have it.

Last year I was in a LSV with Vortec 8.1. This year is a VLX with Monsoon. My son who has been riding for 5 years now says they are very close. He tends to like the wake on the VLX a little better. We generally only use stock ballast. Both having the power wedge we seem to be able to dial in the wake pretty close on both boats. We have loaded down the LSV and have been in a loaded down VLX. I would say you can get the same results with either. It does take a little more to sink the LSV. They both drive great! To my surprise, I thought the VLX road just as good as the LSV. In some instances it handled the rough water a little better. The 2 big differences for me are: Interior space is huge difference. We usually only ride with 5 or 6 and a dog. The extra space in the LSV was nice. But, we have not had any issues with the size of the VLX yet. The other difference is gas consumption. I know one had the 8.1 and the other has the new Monsoon with CAT, so it's not a fair comparison. But, I am using a ton less gas this season. I really think if you go with the LSV you want at least the Hammerhead if not the 8.1. If you go with the VLX the Monsoon is a decent setup.

Last year I was in a LSV with Vortec 8.1. This year is a VLX with Monsoon. My son who has been riding for 5 years now says they are very close. He tends to like the wake on the VLX a little better. We generally only use stock ballast. Both having the power wedge we seem to be able to dial in the wake pretty close on both boats. We have loaded down the LSV and have been in a loaded down VLX. I would say you can get the same results with either. It does take a little more to sink the LSV. They both drive great! To my surprise, I thought the VLX road just as good as the LSV. In some instances it handled the rough water a little better. The 2 big differences for me are: Interior space is huge difference. We usually only ride with 5 or 6 and a dog. The extra space in the LSV was nice. But, we have not had any issues with the size of the VLX yet. The other difference is gas consumption. I know one had the 8.1 and the other has the new Monsoon with CAT, so it's not a fair comparison. But, I am using a ton less gas this season. I really think if you go with the LSV you want at least the Hammerhead if not the 8.1. If you go with the VLX the Monsoon is a decent setup.

Larrys comparison seems about right. The only thing I would add, is that I have had 2 LSV's and used a 05 VLX with a Monsoon for 3 months. IMO, The LSV does handle rough water much better. The interior space is also a plus, that extra 1-1/2' is all storage. I also like how the Illusion tower is further into the boat. I tend to bang into the bimini more on the VLX.

If you tend to ride with a smaller crew OR, ride on smaller lakes or rivers where the water doesn't get too chopped up, get the VLX. If you ride in an area where there is alot of lake traffic and wind chop, get the LSV. Oh, and get the HH383, for sure! Biggrin.gif

If you tend to ride with a smaller crew OR, ride on smaller lakes or rivers where the water doesn't get too chopped up, get the VLX. If you ride in an area where there is alot of lake traffic and wind chop, get the LSV. Oh, and get the HH383, for sure! Biggrin.gif

VLX + Hammerhead = Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

From what I have read, your choice will depend on your desire for space mostly.

IMO if on average you ride with a crew lower than 6, the vlx is where its at, unless you want to run a monster wake setup.

I debated and went with the LSV, because I thought it handled choppy water a bit better, and really enjoy the extra space after being crammed in my old boat. Its nice to have the space and not need it, then to want it and not have it.

To copy what everyone else has said - I agree, the wakes are very similar I've ridden behind a handful of new VLX's. Don't let that be what determines your decision.

It's about size.

Bigger interior is great. But if you're riding with a smaller crew, why do it?

This is what I'll add to the discussion:

If you don't need the bigger boat don't get it. Bigger means:

- more gas boat / truck

- more weight on the trailer (tires)

- more weight on the tongue

- more weight on your tow vehicles brakes / and brakes of the trailer (must have these)

- more time spent wiping down the boat - becuase it's bigger

- more time spent vaccuming (this might not seem like a big deal, but if you own the boat 3+ years, that's a lot more gelcoat, vinyl and carpet to clean)

Basically = more time/money.

That said, I love my LSV and if it sunk today, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

I've ridden behind both and had this debate several times. The VLX with Monsoon and an Acme 1235 prop is an awsome combination with a wake that's hard to beat. The LSV performs best with the 8.1 but that combo will be more than 6K difference. Without the power wedge, the LSV wake is a bit more rampy than the VLX. With the power wedge you can choose the shape you like in either one.

The whole "teacher's pet" thing that Mailibu runs on their site is just marketing. Nunn and Shapiro don't have much of a choice. (Shapiro has both at his camp but runs the LSV most often.) They make money by having lots of people in the boat. The seating capacity is more important to them than the wake quality (they can ride behind anything). We had Nunn in town for a ski show our club puts on and he loved the LSV with an 8.1 and 14 people on board watching - now that was a monster wake! He was doing double fronts off of it. But that size wake is rarely necessary for most of us.

I have a VLX and rarely use my wedge (although I don't have the power wedge). I use full MLS with extra back soft tanks and love the wake shape I get from that configuration. After three knee surgeries, I try to avoid landing in the flats and that's where I land when I deploy the wedge. I'm only 70' back but will be getting my new 80' rope this week and can start considering the full monty with my VLX! From strictly a wake point of view, I'd go with the VLX and save the cash. If the seating and storage is important to you, then the LSV may be worth the money.

If you're looking at an 08 there will be a new hull on the LSV while the VLX remains unchanged. You may want to consider that factor as well.

Edited by LouDoc

I have driven and rode behind both boats. The VLX makes a bigger/sleeper wake with stock ballast. The LSV has less bow rise and rides better. I love both. HH for the VLX, BB for the LSV.

Joe

I asked the exact same question two months ago. I ended up with a VLX. All the main points have been said. The VLX is still a fairly large boat compared to the typical Sea-Ray or Bayliner. I was concerned with wake size. The VLX is more than enough wake even using stock ballast. I agree that LSV has perhaps more theoretical potential but I imagine there are a very select few who would truly benefit. My decision came down to crew size: I only have about 3-5 people and would like a relatively smaller boat for handling.

This past weekend I had 11 people in the boat myself included, and it was fine. No one was squished. An LSV would have be nice, but for the few times I have that many people it still didn't have a problem.

As for rough conditions, I have found the VLX handles 2-3ft white caps no problem. The CD player didn't work quite as well, but that's what MP3 players are for!

I love my LSV, as a matter of fact I bought Gerry Nunn's 04 boat after riding behind it Thumbup.gif ....I could not be happier. I love the extra room and for Surfing Surfing.gif ...its awesome. As far as wakeboarding goes the wakes are very simular, I wouldn't use that as the deciding factor...JMHO

It's not actually a "new" hull, but one that is adapted off of the 247. It will still have most of the same geometry, but will pick up the look of the 247, RLXI & VTX. It will also feature the new frameless windshield that the RLXI & VTX both have. But the V25 hull itself in terms of performance won't change much & based on what I've seen I would bet that the performance differences between '07 & '08 will be negligible for 95% of consumers.

the new frameless windshield that the RLXI & VTX both have.

When can we begin referring to this as the "ugly than sin framed windshield with ports punched in it"?