Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vlx diamond or vtx?

badluck

So it's back to the drawing board. My wife skied behind a vlx wake hull at 33 and said no way.She skis and surfs. I do all three but am hooked on wake and surfing now. Kid will probably never ski. We roll with 4 to 8 people.What boat should we get diamond vlx or vtx? My wife is spoiled with an outboard wake now. I've told her you will never see a wake that small again.She is willing to compromise but a v drive is a must. So how do you tell a dimond hull besides looking at it? Is there a # in the vin? Thanks

easiest way to tell a CD vs Wake Hull is a notch in the hull visible from looking at the back of the boat, there is a great thread that shows pix of the 2 right here.

Look at those 2 pictures and it will be VERY obvious and simple to tell as long as the boat is on a trailer.

Will it surf as well? How much weight will it need to be = to a vlx

The VTX surfs better than the VLX, has a much better ski wake (with the cut diamond hull), but does not have as nice a wakeboarding wake IMO, and in the opinion of my kids. I seriously looked at the VTX and came close to trading in the VLX for one, but in the end stayed with the VLX. If I didn't already have the VLX, I probably would have gone with the VTX, but I couldn't justify making the change at this time.

I'm a skier, but I also lake surfing and waking. Still, if I had it my way I would've gone direct drive. My wife, however, overruled - she wanted room. We looked and looked, and the only boat that met my criteria for a course worthy ski wake with room was the VTX cut diamond. I skied behind the VLX several times - there is a wake difference for skiing for sure. I ski every morning at 0600 - the only length that is bad is 22' off. It puts you right in the rooster tail. Every other length is nice. 28' & 32' are my favorites.

It is also, IMO, a good crossover boat. The wake may not be as big as some, but I really like it. It ramps well and give a lot of pop with little effort. The surf wake is fair to middling with just my family, but if we have some friends on board it really builds up into a nice wake for surfing.

Plus, for a small boat it is really comfortable for a big group. It feels much larger than 20'.

We love the boat. It's a 2008 with 215 hours - we use it a lot. All the kids ski and wakeboard. The oldest 2 slalom and the oldest surfs as well.

Anyway, that's my sales pitch. No regrets at all - absolutely the best all around boat I've been around.

We are definitely not coarse skiers but we both enjoy skiing. We also go occasionally with just the 3 of us. Is it surfable or will we have to add wait?

Ill throw in another vote for tht VTX. I have an 08 and loaded up its wake is rather close to a VLX. It also surfs well when weighted.

For Wakeboarding with 4 adults we have all teh stock plus 450 in each locker and about 250 or so no the bow (though I am thinking about a bit more.) If we are going at it hard we will add a bit of wedge also but it is not at all necessary. That makes it fairly close to a VLX wake. We also ride just stock and a bit of wedge if we are just playing around. With that set up it is no vlx but is definately nothing to be ashamed of.

For surfing all stock ballast except to off side rear, a 450 in the locker, the other 450 in the passenger compartment on the floor to the surf side and the wedge at the bottom position. You have to play with that a bit based on passengers but once you dial it in it is a very nice surf wake. With only stock ballast it is hard to make a ridable wave.

Cant speak to skiing i have not in about 15 years.

Long and short of it if your probably going to want to buy a set of v-drive sacks with your vtx. But if your anything like my family you will love the boat.

We have been surfing the 2005 vlx wake hull with 3-4 people surf side rear and mid ballast and wedge. Surfable but needs more weight.I just don't want to be disappointed with the vtx. Sounds like I need to demo.

We have been surfing the 2005 vlx wake hull with 3-4 people surf side rear and mid ballast and wedge. Surfable but needs more weight.I just don't want to be disappointed with the vtx. Sounds like I need to demo.

The VTX surfs great its not a 24/7 but works well :)

That is exactly how the guy was holding the rope behind a boat i was in. When he fell the rope somehow wrapped around his finger and when it went taut, cut it off. I recommend not having more rope out than you need. He was lucky it wasn't his arm. trust me, it happens so fast.

We have the VLX diamond hull. The wake mellows out over 30mph so skiing is still a option. If I want to surf we need to add sacs to the back of the boat. Either way if you want to surf you will need more wieght.

We have the VLX diamond hull. The wake mellows out over 30mph so skiing is still a option. If I want to surf we need to add sacs to the back of the boat. Either way if you want to surf you will need more wieght.

Agree. Surfing without additional ballast won't be much fun.

I run the VLX Diamond hull and ski almost every morning. Wake is not bad as long as you keep the boat down to a driver and pass. It will never be a comp ski boat but seems to do good all the way around. Surfing needs more weight but is easy to be added. Wake boarding is great for 75% of the wake boarders with stock ballast a little more weight steps it up to the other 25% liking. I think it is a great all around boat I am more into enjoying the time on the lake with the family anymore then I am going big on the wake board. Knees are not what they used to be. All boats have there strong points but I have yet to be in a boat that some one is not moving lead or ballast around to dial in the wake for what ever they are doing. As you get used to your wake you always want bigger and better so then the projects begin! So for badluck I would do what makes your wife happy! Because happy wife = happy husband! Beer.gif

I definitely like the size of the vlx but we are concerned with the wake for skiing.Thats the only reason we are looking at the vtx.I do like the fact that the surf on the vlx is better.Wife skis 50% surfs 50% I ski 30% surf 30% board 40%

I had a 1999 Response LX for 9 years and had to get a v-drive to be more family friendly. We went back and forth between ordering a 2009 VTX and VLX for a couple of months during the winter (I live in MN and could only analyze the different wakes via my dealer's cell phone as he video taped each wake while at the Malibu factory). We eventually ended up ordering a VLX with the diamond hull and absolutely love it. I feel that wake at 32 mph is very good. I have 22 hours on the boat and around 20 ski runs and wouldn't change my decision. As an aside, the speed control may be part of the reason I like skiing behind the VLX so well as the Response didn't have it and my speed was never 100% consistent, but the VLX holds very true. My 2 cents is go with the VLX as you will appreciate the additional space and the wake is very good.

I may be crazy, but with stock ballast and a couple of buddies in the boat I can get a surf wake that is very ridable. We can stay on the wake for as long as we want. Plus, if you ski, demo both. There is a definite difference between the two - the VTX is much softer. Check 'em out - they're both great rides!

I like the extra 1.5 feet but I need to demo both.1.5 feet vs. wake that is the ? I can't find a dealer in nor cal with either. The problem is we have a tunnel boat with 0 wake. What ever boat we have will be a big wake.I just have to weigh the 2.