Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter hull for slalom?

neill

Hi. we're new to Malibu and are wondering if anyone has an opinion about slalom skiing behind a Wakesetter.

Hi Neill,

I'm running an 06 vlx with a diamond hull and I am an agressive but not competetive Slalom skier and I find the wake at 32 mph to be no different than the o.b sport boat I had before. My main criteria when buying the boat was that it be a decent crossover so that everyone could enjoy whatever sport they are doing. Like everyone else says take your ski and demo it. That's what I did and loved it. I also found that by adjusting the rope length you can get yourself into the pocket where the wake is just right. This of course only applies to rec. skiing. Anyway, I love the boat and its versatility.

Good Luck,

W.L.

neill

I have a 23LSV on the HIGHLY COVETED diamond hull.

I have slalomed it several times and its decent but not the kind of wake I'd want thru a course.

From the boat it looks OK at 34mph but the lip is pretty hard and pronuonced when you are on the bidness end.

I'm sure a direct drive would be a little better but then you lose the world class wakeboard and surf wake.

Better for me that I have a good buddy with a DD Bu.

Good for him cuz just about everyone else in our crowd has VD - V-drives that is.

neill

I have a 23LSV on the HIGHLY COVETED diamond hull.

I have slalomed it several times and its decent but not the kind of wake I'd want thru a course.

From the boat it looks OK at 34mph but the lip is pretty hard and pronuonced when you are on the bidness end.

I'm sure a direct drive would be a little better but then you lose the world class wakeboard and surf wake.

Better for me that I have a good buddy with a DD Bu.

Good for him cuz just about everyone else in our crowd has VD - V-drives that is.

After much discussion with the family, we're all pretty set on the 23LSV. We know a DD is probably what we need but are not willing to give up the space just yet. Coming from a 19' Regal i/o, we're ready for a larger boat. However, honestly our i/o does not put out as much wake as OTHER i/o's we've been on. Maybe b/c it's smaller and we're not so large either. This is our main concern (and headache). Just want to make sure the wake we're going to get is a significant improvement on what we have now. The view from the boat looked good, but like you said, getting behind it may be a different story.So are you saying the HIGHLY COVETED diamond hull really doesn't make that much of a difference witht he 23LSV?

The diamond hull does make a significant difference - just not good enough to make a tournament or course worthy wake. And will be much better than the I/O wake - even a Regal or Bryant which are touted as the smallest I/O ski wakes.

I am very pleased with all aspects of my 23LSV.

I can go out early morning with a buddy and slalom freestyle then go back to the dock and pick up the late sleeping surfers and sac it out and ride world class wakesurf wakes. Then tie up in the party cove, put up the table and stretch out to a lake buffet of shrimp, lettuce wraps, chips and dip.

I haven't skied behind the 23LSV but remember, it's a BIG boat and a V drive. What speeds are you going to be pulling slalom skiers at? Our 21' V drive is one of the best slalom V drives ever produced, and I would still say the wakes pretty much suck under 30 MPH. For bigger skiers, they're manageable, but for my little sister skiing at 28 weighing 110 lbs, she catches air even if she stays on edge through the wakes. The 23LSV wakes will be bigger yet due to the deeper hull and heavier weight.

Be sure you ski it before you buy it. Have your son ski it too. You have to decide really whether the space or the wakes are more important to you if you're looking for a V drive that can be a course boat.

• 12 years later...

I am a skier and want a crossover with emphasis on slalom skiing. I found a 2006 21 xti with direct drive and a diamond hull. It also has the hammerhead 283 engine with 325 hours. I was told that this is a rare combination and is more like. Sunsetter. Said it was bought for skiing. Anyone has any feedback on this boat?

Yep, we had a 02 xti 23 diamond hull and it skied great. We skied the course with it often. It had a wedge too, we could surf it but really no place for extra ballast weight. There is a thread about the hammerhead on the site, it’s a good read.

Are you looking for just a ski boat? Or surf too? I didn’t find it ideal to surf.

Our VTX with the bow tank half full had as flat of a wake as our old Echelon LX. Our new 21VLX with the diamond hull has a good ski wake but not as flat as the VTX, but the surf wake is way better.