Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brass Drain plug, is something else available?

bmontini

I've got 3 boats and a nose up attitude at most ramps that I use frequently. Atwood or one of the other big parts suppliers makes a brass plug with a SS roll pin thru it so you can install and remove without tools. I actually do not remove it much on my direct drives because the t-handle works better. My big IO has two stern plugs which are pulled after every use and not installed until next use.

The plugs are a little pricey ready made so I bought several plain ones and drilled and installed roll pins myself. There's a bin in the truck with 4 or 5 of them in there. It is the wife's duty to insure that the plug is installed before boat is "dumped". I'm responsible for everything else--especially backing the trailer. Biggrin.gif

Here's a link:plug/pin

And is she willing to readily take the HEAT when the boat is launched and plug is not where it better be??

I've put 'em in several times without the plug. Mad.gif Even ran all the way up the parking lot in bare feet once to retrieve the plug from the truck; jump in the water and put it in before the boat sank. Been married 4 years this month and can't remember the last time I had a flooded boat. I'm sure it was B.S.(before Susan)

Why pull the plug???

I have never pulled any plugs other than during winter storage(where I pull the T-handles)....I was told don't bother and if water does collect then the auto bildge pump takes care of it. I have never had any problems with water sitting in the bilge. It's a little wet after use but it evaporates. Bilge looks clean and no worries.

Your'e kidding, right ?

With a carpet saver, it makes it a serious PITA to get at the mid-ships plug. The one near the vdrive unit never gets pulled either because it's a PITA to get at, so the transom plug always comes out. We just keep a wrench handy for that, but I have tried to keep an eye out for a better alternative. When we leave the lake, the big hill that we go up helps to drain the boat at the rear, so it's a logical thing for us to pull that plug.

I can attest to the fact that hose little pointy things on the bottom of the carpet saver will draw blood too. :(

A bit off the subject but on the subject, i pull the T drain plug in the middle of the boat because there is ALWAYS water there. i pull it as soon as i take the boat out of the water travel through hills, mountains and curves. As soon as i put the boat back in the water, there's an inch of water sitting! i tried the bilge pump but probably too low for the bilge to suck it out. Any ideas of why i always have water sitting? Is this normal? Thanks for any help!!

A bit off the subject but on the subject, i pull the T drain plug in the middle of the boat because there is ALWAYS water there. i pull it as soon as i take the boat out of the water travel through hills, mountains and curves. As soon as i put the boat back in the water, there's an inch of water sitting! i tried the bilge pump but probably too low for the bilge to suck it out. Any ideas of why i always have water sitting? Is this normal? Thanks for any help!!

Somewhat normal. The boats have a finished bilge liner and water can remain there, though you don't see it. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it doesn't get deeper as you watch. Shocking.gif

Dog visiting the inside of the boat in between time on the lake???

We just picked up our "new to us" Malibu -- so much to learn!

Question on the mid ship T handle plug (by the driver's seat) -- is it OK ot use a wrench to free this plug (with the two ballast pumps and the water in the area -- I can't free the plug with just my hands). I think the last owner left the plug in and never removed it -- is there a nut shaped base at the bottom of the T -- what size wrench? -- normal threading? (left loosie :))

Thanks for the help -- looking forward to the discussion.

Regards, Olive

We just picked up our "new to us" Malibu -- so much to learn!

Question on the mid ship T handle plug (by the driver's seat) -- is it OK ot use a wrench to free this plug (with the two ballast pumps and the water in the area -- I can't free the plug with just my hands). I think the last owner left the plug in and never removed it -- is there a nut shaped base at the bottom of the T -- what size wrench? -- normal threading? (left loosie :))

Thanks for the help -- looking forward to the discussion.

Regards, Olive

Just put a crescent on the handle (tight), then put another crescent or some slip pliers on the handle of that first one perpendicular to it. That will give you good leverage to get it loose.

I've seen trailers with a 9/16" or 14mm wrench magnatized to the back of the trailer. The plug with the pin works good too.

A couple of the bass boat guys on our lake press a button on the dash and a solenoid valve opens at the stearn. They laugh at my low tech ski boat especially after I showed them my Tsnunami ballast pumps. They said I paid a lot for a cheap atwood livewell/bilge pumps.

I always make sure and give them a surf size wake whenever I see them on the water. :lol:

Normal threading. I've used pliers on occasion on the nut, couldn't tell you size for a wrench.