Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECI boom

WakeGirl

Hey all,

We have an ECI boom, the Aggressor model. The problem that we run into is that our boat tends to put out a lot of spray at that length & we'd like to be able to get farther away from the boat if possible. Do any of you know if there is an extension available either through Skylon or an aftermarket company for that boom? If not, any suggestions on this? It's not a problem at higher speeds (like when the hubby is 'footing) but at slower speeds it can be pretty tough, particularly if we're trying to teach a kid to slalom on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The BI extension will fit the ECI boom. It slips over then end and is turned down to a smaller radius which is good for kids.

Seems I saw one for sale on here the other day.

Also appears as though BI has an inline extension as well. BI products

Here is one from Skyjack .. call the folks @ Lake Elmo and they can tell you what will work best. Skyjack ext

/Steve

I know the one that slips on the end will work ... I use it. As for the one that goes in the middle, give Lake Elmo a call and they can tell you if it will work.

/Steve

Sorry, Lake Elmo?

I spoke with Mike at BI this morning & he expressed doubts as to whether or not the ECI clamp will stand up to the extra leverage that one of the extensions will put on it. Can you comment on that? I took it with a grain of salt since he's a BI guy & all, but it made me wonder how much truth there may be to it.

Sorry, Lake Elmo?

I spoke with Mike at BI this morning & he expressed doubts as to whether or not the ECI clamp will stand up to the extra leverage that one of the extensions will put on it.  Can you comment on that?  I took it with a grain of salt since he's a BI guy & all, but it made me wonder how much truth there may be to it.

I know that one of BI's strong marketing moves is the perceived weakness in the ECI clamp. I would be confident it would hold IF BI said it would but I would not rely either way a BI comment saying it wouldn't. (Conflict of interest and all....) You certainly don't want a clamp to fail while footing. The risk would be immense.

Jeff/AirChair1

Tracie, I've got the identical EFI model as yours, and Monday my eight year old daughter slalomed all over the place without spray getting her at all at between 18-24 mph. I clamp down low on the pylon to get to handle well elevated, but then make sure we arrange the passengers' weight toward the skiers' side of the boat, which tends to cut the spray down a good bit.

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.cfm?fu...237&product=328

They have the Skyjack extension on this page http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.cfm?fu...237&product=328

The guys at Lake Elmo Sports are very knowledgable when it comes to footing gear (800-949-3566). They can comment on the use of BI gear as well and may even sell some of it.

The BI extension I use is the MS6748 shown in this picture http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Ba...ories/index.asp

It is attached to my ECI Aggressor boom. I used it on another boom for 11 years and it wasn't near as strong as the ECI Aggressor.

Hope this helps,

/Steve

Tracie, I've got the identical EFI model as yours, and Monday my eight year old daughter slalomed all over the place without spray getting her at all at between 18-24 mph.  I clamp down low on the pylon to get to handle well elevated, but then make sure we arrange the passengers' weight toward the skiers' side of the boat, which tends to cut the spray down a good bit.

Haha, I think that if I had a Response then I'd have better luck, but my big boat on the non-Diamond hull likes to throw more spray than your itty-bitty boat. :) Even the hubby on his footing runs comments on it - I had thought that it was okay for him, but he said yesterday that if we get an extension that we definitely need to get one that he & I can use as well. Will check with Lake Elmo, thanks Steve, & thanks for the link John.

i will give my 2 cents about the eci clamp comment. i have used both the clamps, with my BI boom, and the BI is definetly more sturdy. I would not necessarily say that it can't take the stress, it just not as meaty as the BI clamp. Also, the mike that you talked to was most likely Mike Seipel (he is no longer at the ski school in FL, but working out of the distribution/facility of BI. He is actually not a BSer. Although I would take the comments with a grain of salt, he actually is a real honest guy, and usually tells it like it is.

most likely Mike Seipel .......  He is actually not a BSer.  Although I would take the comments with a grain of salt, he actually is a real honest guy, and usually tells it like it is.

I hope my comment wasn't interpreted as distrusting of BI. I have LOTS of BI hardware and am quite happy with it. I have spoken to Mike Seipel several times and have found him to be very helpful and informative with no strong sales pitch at all. I just tend to minimize comments from people when the comment is clearly in their best interest (even in cases where I tend to agree with them...)

i didn't take it that way at all. i just wanted to make a point (and I agree that you need to take it with a grain of salt) that usually he is a straight shooter. i have bought some stuff directly from his store when i lived in FL, and even bought some stuff elsewhere that HE recommended.