Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom tie downs

MalibuJim

I guess my take on it is if you don't care if your boat flies off the trailer that's O.K. But........ what about the people that may be injured or killed when they hit it or it hits them?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• auto

• jetskipro550

• Baddog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not using transom tie downs is wreckless and lazy. That's like taking the nuts off of your u-bolts of your leaf springs on your truck, just hoping the weight of the truck holds them together. Who wants that added liability in the event something did happen. Second of all who would spend thousands of dollars on their boat stereo and not invest $25 on transom tie downs to protect your investment. It's only a matter of time before something does happen, and then you'll be kicking your own butt. Fly down the freeway doing 70 and have to swerve out of the way and see what happens. And driving 11 hours without them :unsure:

Well, I was not using straps unless I was traveling more than a few miles. Both the river & lake are only 5-7 minutes from the house, but looks like I may need to start. The seat belt comparison is great. Great question Jimbro!

Mid Rare

Why wouldn't you use them? I don't get it. Dontknow.gif

Easy, scratches the transom. I probably tow more year round, 5er, Duck Boat, util trailers, and Malibu then 98% of the people on this board. Been in one wreck one blowout, boat did not move. Do I use them I my duckboat, hell yeah. I have a coating on the bottom and glide strips on the bunks which make it like snot on doorknob. I use a safety chain in addition to the winch strap, after the primary winch strap broke on the way from the lake. Boat was totally unsecured on wet bunks, now that was a pucker factor ;) Thank God, I don't live in Kalifornia for so many reasons Thumbup.gif

well i would use them, but i did not get any when i bought the boat, and i have not had time to go get any. i have towed it about 30 miles on the interstate 3 different times without the straps and have had no problems. Biggrin.gif

Any dealer that says you don't them is an Idiot.

My dealer gave me a set free. I use 'em.

Let's try another analogy: Your girlfriend says "I'm off the pill becasue my doctor says I can't get pregnant and you don't need a rubber." Go ahead and don't use a rubber -- Dad.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but how many people use transom tie downs when trailering. I used them with our last boat (Response). And I think "better safe than sorry". However, my dealer suggested not using them, especially since we now have a V-Drive and the weight of the engine will hold the boat to the trailer. We don not trailer our boat very far, but I am concerned that the boat will bounce around without transom ties.

-Jim

It's a requirement(law) in Indiana. Thumbup.gif

I definitely use them every time I tow, no matter how far I'm going. I have looked in the mirror before and seen the boat bounce up off the trailer an inch or two, even with the tie downs on (this was on my old boat and they weren't as tight as they could be). Not worth taking the chance of damaging anything just to save a few minutes at most.

I only forgot to take them off once on the old boat in the 7 years I owned it...pretty embarrasing day at the launch ramp, but I learned my lesson from that!

I allways use them! If a nother moving object was to hit you what would happen? You never know! Cheap insurance you might say.

"Easy, scratches the transom"

You have issues with your trailer then dude, or you don't know how to tie it down properly. I have an extreme trailer, but you probably don't being in Texas. My tie downs are at least 3/4" away from the transom at the closest point with my ratchet style tie downs. I'd look into those type if you ever wise up.

Edited by 06vlx

Easy, scratches the transom. I probably tow more year round, 5er, Duck Boat, util trailers, and Malibu then 98% of the people on this board. Been in one wreck one blowout, boat did not move. Do I use them I my duckboat, hell yeah. I have a coating on the bottom and glide strips on the bunks which make it like snot on doorknob. I use a safety chain in addition to the winch strap, after the primary winch strap broke on the way from the lake. Boat was totally unsecured on wet bunks, now that was a pucker factor ;) Thank God, I don't live in Kalifornia for so many reasons Thumbup.gif

Auto,

My straps hit my transom too, I use sheepskin belt pads.

"Easy, scratches the transom"

You have issues with your trailer then dude, or you don't know how to tie it down properly. I have an extreme trailer, but you probably don't being in Texas. My tie downs are at least 3/4" away from the transom at the closest point with my ratchet style tie downs. I'd look into those type if you ever wise up.

Easy there 06vlx Lame.gif , his trailer isn't like yours and he DOES know how to tie it down properly.

80% of all auto accidents take place within 20 minutes of the motorist's residence. So look at this way, you are 80% more likely to need the rear straps locally, then on a long trip. :)

Thanks Y'all. I am headed to the store to get tie downs today. Biggrin.gif Like I said "better safe than sorry"

-Jim

IMO.

Get the ones that mount on the trailer. They are retractable, very easy to hook up and not easily forgotten as you are wiping down the boat.

I say it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If you don't feel right about having the boat back there without straps, then use straps. Who cares what other people think/say? For the peace of mind, it's well worth the small investment in monetary terms for the straps and in time each time you put them on. I have some $30 straps that some folks would say are a WOM. I use them because it feels right to me. If somebody else doesn't want to use them on their boat, that's their business. Do whatever feels right to you.

I think of it this way, if the straps would have been used and lessened the damage in an accident or worse ended up killing someone then it certainly is beyond someone else’s business. If you travel on public roadways you must take responsibility for safety as it's all of our business.

Auto,

My straps hit my transom too, I use sheepskin belt pads.

Exactly what I did.

That is probably the best post yet on this topic, and the point I have been trying to make. A person's actions will effect more than just them or their boat.

It's interesting. I don't tow my boat much and when I do it's usually about 1/2 mile between the launch and my garage.

With that said, I was looking at picking up some tie downs.... cheap insurance.

I stopped by the local "pep boys" and there are lots of these straps with different strengths and lengths.

What strength and length of straps do you have for your transom ( Biggrin.gif sounds kinda funny, but it's a serious question)

What strength and length of straps do you have for your transom ( Biggrin.gif sounds kinda funny, but it's a serious question)

You just need to consider the weight of your trailer. If you hit a big bump, your boats going to go up, straps are not going to keep it down. The idea is to keep the trailer and boat together.

That is probably the best post yet on this topic, and the point I have been trying to make. A person's actions will effect more than just them or their boat.

Thanks Ronnie, I might look into that, when I tried the towel solution it did not work.

and for you 06 VLX. My safety record speaks for itself, if you don't like my safety style or my trailer, if you get behind me, just pass me for "your safety" Thumbup.gif

Edited by auto

We always use transom straps too - better safe than sorry! Just last weekend we installed Boat Buckle ratchet tie downs on our Dorsey trailer. I have always seen these and thought they were really slick. I was kind of troubled to see that because of where our boat sits on the trailer the straps do touch the boat. I wondered if they would scratch it, and I see a couple folks saying they use sheepskin so they won't get scratches. So now I have a couple questions for those of you that have straps that touch the boat: 1) does the tie down strap actually scratch the boat? 2) are you leaving that sheepskin on the strap when you put the boat in the water or do you take it off every time?

I made my own pads out of the elastic part of a pair of gym socks. Sounds rather hoakey I must admit but they actually turned out very professional looking. :lol: