Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Wakes

Romi

I was hoping I could just embed this like I do with other message boards and picasa web album, but here are a few links to photos we took last Monday evening after some guys ruined the bay for boarding.

'06 VLX

Front MLS Full

Midship MLS Full

Rear surfside MLS Full

600 Pro-X sack in rear surfside trunk

400 Lead under surfside seats (mid-back)

2 people in the boat

power wedge fully deployed

Joe - his first try surfing

http://picasaweb.google.com/dizzyg/TaylorS...232613230517810

http://picasaweb.google.com/dizzyg/TaylorS...232626115419714

cruising without a rider (probably going 11.5 a little fast here)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dizzyg/TaylorS...232630410387026

me - first try switch, no need to drain and refill the tanks right? It was harder than I expected to switch feet :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dizzyg/TaylorS...232639000321634

the boat listing a little

http://picasaweb.google.com/dizzyg/TaylorS...232591755681282

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• UWSkier

• DizzyG

• db252

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

North shore? I was skiing in Icehouse Bay last night... Couldn't believe some of the tubers though! Look for a Maroon '91 Ski Nautique. If you see it, that's likely me and a couple buds of mine.

That was just outside of Ice House, pretty much middle of the lake. We gave up riding after some tools in an older wakestter with a black titan II almost ran us over. Power Turns, Riding round the bay instead of up and down a line, we tried to talk to them and got nowhere (this has happened with them several times).

Rumor has it, last year they ran over an XTI, dead smack through the middle tore right through it!

They make us nervous we left and surfed. Weeknights stink on Okauchee. We're out mornings on a white with blue stripe wakesetter, black titan III tower or a '97 super sport CC with black titan II

Holy cow is that wake huge. However, why y'all surfing a 6' surfboard with a wake that big? I reckon y'all could surf that wake on a popsicle stick.

I do have wake envy though!!!

One more from the 247....

mesurfing-1.jpg

I'm not usually one to post anything, but I feel I've got something to say about the surfing. You all are going too fast! I'm 6'4" 245lbs going ropeless on a 5'6" Broadcast with stock ballast (on the surf side) and the wedge. I've had much more success between 8.8 and 9.2 mph rather than the 10-11 range. Last year I bought all the sac's and tried the endless adjustments and placements only to find the wake having a very picky sweet spot. I also had to settle for an ocean surfboard for consistency. The surfboard is great for cruising, but sometimes the big guys want to carve it up too. Also the slower speed allows one to bend down and paddle back in if you are about lose it. Just my two cents and btw thanks for all the great info on this site.

I'm not usually one to post anything, but I feel I've got something to say about the surfing. You all are going too fast! I'm 6'4" 245lbs going ropeless on a 5'6" Broadcast with stock ballast (on the surf side) and the wedge. I've had much more success between 8.8 and 9.2 mph rather than the 10-11 range. Last year I bought all the sac's and tried the endless adjustments and placements only to find the wake having a very picky sweet spot. I also had to settle for an ocean surfboard for consistency. The surfboard is great for cruising, but sometimes the big guys want to carve it up too. Also the slower speed allows one to bend down and paddle back in if you are about lose it. Just my two cents and btw thanks for all the great info on this site.

Have you checked your speedo with a GPS? At 8.8 (with a GPS) My wake hasn't formed yet.

Rusty, our 06 vride has a great wake on either side (not 247 great, but pretty damn decent). speed for us ranges from about 9.4 - 11 depending on what board we are riding.

on the ocean surfboards they usually have much more rocker than the wakesurf specific boards -- hence the need to go slower to stay in the wake. for your weight, try to get a hold of an inland surfer blue lake to demo -- i think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much faster it rides than the broadcast or your ocean board. (by the way we first started out on a 6.8" Rip Curl and now I never ride it anymore. Just too slow... )

I have not clocked the speed with a gps, but I've had similar results on a friends 22' Supreme. We ride mostly in the Sac Delta and do have to compensate for river speed and that is the range of speed I end up at. I was on Folsom yesterday at 9 mph and lov'in it.

Smedman, I had not thought about the rocker on the ocean boards. I've tried the bigger hyperlite and it was ok, but I'll have to try the inland surfer! Btw our V-ride does form nice on both sides. I saw that last year and have pulled two people at a time just messin around. I have not done that ropeless though. Sounds like a good project for the 4th of July at Bass Lake. If it happens I'll definitely post pics. Happy surfin!!!

One more from the 247....

mesurfing-1.jpg

We were at 11.6mph on the 247

Surf Side had the ballast Full, Pro-X Sac Full, Small Pro-x Sac, one sac under the seats, and "Auto" on the seat. Innocent.gif

Middle Ballast Full, Front Empty

Wedge down.

• 2 months later...

This weekend I was at Lake Shasta with 9 people, 500# sack and tried surfing for the first time. Needless to say I am hooked. Just looking for some advice. I'm curious how those of us who don't have the front ballast tank weighed their Bu's down for surfing. I was thinking of adding a integrated bow sack and two 750 # sacks. One in the surf side locker and the other on the surf side seat floor. What do you surf guru's think about this plan?

Ronnie

Edited by VLXRonnie

Sorry, I have another question...Has anyone had any experience with these bags.

1450#

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakebo...o_surf_sac_w712

455#

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakebo...d_surf_sac_w716

I was thinking of using the 1450#er in lew of the two 750's. I need to measure the locker and under seat compartments first. But , if this will work I could reap all the benefits of the weight with out loosing valuable seat space.