Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Storage Racks

Birm

CLS - I made a rack very similiar to Troy's (SacRiverRat) but made mine out of PVC. The wakeboard arms are set on 16" centers (vertically) for boot clearance.

EDIT: forgot - arms are 14" in length.

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jshap

• SacRiverRat

• obski

• CedarLakeSkier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CLS - I made a rack very similiar to Troy's (SacRiverRat) but made mine out of PVC. The wakeboard arms are set on 16" centers (vertically) for boot clearance.

EDIT: forgot - arms are 14" in length.

Just the information I was looking for. I was guessing 16"

Thanks

I bought some racks at Home Depot that screw into the wall in my garage. They are metal, about 3/4" in diameter and covered with a rubber boot. They are kind of in the shape of an G in the way they come off the wall, so you just put the board in and leat it against the wall. They work great and only cost a few bucks each. I got them in the garage organization section I think.

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted. This is a very timely topic though, since I finally built a new set of PVC racks for the garage (left my old set in my last house when we moved).

Basically, I spent about $10 (if that) on 3/4 inch, schedule 40 PVC and fittings.

Here are the exact components I used to construct a 5 tier rack:

- 10 - 45 degree fittings

- 18 - T fittings

- 14 - 90 degree fittings

- 22 - 3 inch pieces of 3/4" PVC

- 21 - 12 inch pieces of 3/4" PVC

- 4 - 3/4" pipe straps

- 8 - 3" screws

- Standard PVC cement (thanks jshap!)

- Standard PVC cleaner (thanks jshap!)

All measurements can be adjusted. Frankly, if I ever decide to redo this rack, I may build it with two "forks" per tier so I can have one board up and one down on each tier, although each could easily accomodate two boards stacked in this manner.

I've included some pictures. If anyone would prefer a drawing, let me know.

JZ

post-4-1178156178_thumb.jpg

post-4-1178156193_thumb.jpg

Wow..that's a nice one. Did you just use standard PVC cement to hold it all together?

Yes. Thanks for reminding me. I've edited the original post to reflect that.... :)

JZ

Used 2x4's and closet rods inserted at angles.. nice & clean, very solid

SacRiverRat,

I'm going to try to make one of these, but my boards and skis are 160 miles away.

I was wondering

• How long are the closet rods
  • What is the approximate distance from rod-to-rod to allow room for bindings
  • If you had to guess, what it the angle the rod is at (15 to 20 degrees up from parallel to ground?)

Thanks

He should know that "the assistant" doesn't voluntarily look at technical threads!!! ;)

I ran out & measured, hope this helps!

* Rod length - 12.5" exposed (not sure how long they are including what is embedded in the posts , I'd guess 13")

* Wakeboard Rods are spaced 14" apart from center of rod

* Surfboard Rods at the top are spaced 7" apart from center

* Rods are approx. 65 deg angle to post

*posts are 29.5" apart from center of post

Let me know if you need anything else!!! :)

I ran out & measured, hope this helps!

* Rod length - 12.5" exposed (not sure how long they are including what is embedded in the posts , I'd guess 13")

* Wakeboard Rods are spaced 14" apart from center of rod

* Surfboard Rods at the top are spaced 7" apart from center

* Rods are approx. 65 deg angle to post

*posts are 29.5" apart from center of post

Let me know if you need anything else!!! :)

Shannoook,

This is perfect Thumbup.gif

Thanks for measuring

Ok, well, I finally did it. I went a slightly different course to the 2x4/PVC arms. I did use 2x4s and PVC, but instead of screwing around trying to get a perfect angle every time, I used a 4 piece PVC arm. 1 x 2.5" nub, 1 x 45deg angle elbow, 1 x 16" straight arm, and an end cap. This allowed me to get the same exact angle for every arm, so everything lines up perfectly without having to figure out a jig. The 2 1/2" nub goes all the way to the wall and sticks about 1" into the 45deg elbow. Once the pieces are all glued together, it's super solid. The 2x4s are mounted on studs 32" apart.

I used 1" PVC which made finding the right hole saw a challenge. I ended up using a 1 3/8" spade bit and filled it with adhesive and drove a deck screw through the PVC from the side. 8 out of the 10 are very sturdy and the other 2 will become more sturdy as the glue dries.

Overall, it worked very well. I have 5 evenly spaced racks 16" apart. I can add one more at the bottom if I need another. The one at the top is a tight fit, but as long as I'm careful and the board doesn't have 2" fins, it works fine.

post-1833-1178496013_thumb.jpg

Two more pix...

post-1833-1178496757_thumb.jpg

post-1833-1178496763_thumb.jpg

I may end up painting the 2x4s white to give it a cleaner look, but I was done for the day...

Edited by jshap

Here's the racks my 13 year old son made. First use of power tools project Yahoo.gif

He's wasn't so keen on the painting phase though :lol:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01558.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01557.jpg

and a pic of our butiful bu.....I still think it's the best looking 02 RLX however I probably biassed Drool.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...kehoodglass.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC00387.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01562.jpg

Here's the racks my 13 year old son made. First use of power tools project Yahoo.gif

He's wasn't so keen on the painting phase though :lol:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01558.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01557.jpg

and a pic of our butiful bu.....I still think it's the best looking 02 RLX however I probably biassed Drool.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...kehoodglass.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC00387.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01562.jpg

Cool looking boat but wait 'til you see the latest LX down there in July which I ordered last week.

Cheers Brain 53

I've not seen the latest yet in the flesh. Keen to see one but am more than happy with ours and plan to keep it for many years. We compared it to the brand new 2006/2007 RLX at the Malibu Aquafest and it look essentially identical apart from the dash insert.

All bu's

http://www.skishotz.co.nz/aquafest/pages/EDSC01383.htm

http://www.skishotz.co.nz/aquafest/pages/EDSC01612.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, well, I finally did it. I went a slightly different course to the 2x4/PVC arms. I did use 2x4s and PVC, but instead of screwing around trying to get a perfect angle every time, I used a 4 piece PVC arm. 1 x 2.5" nub, 1 x 45deg angle elbow, 1 x 16" straight arm, and an end cap. This allowed me to get the same exact angle for every arm, so everything lines up perfectly without having to figure out a jig. The 2 1/2" nub goes all the way to the wall and sticks about 1" into the 45deg elbow. Once the pieces are all glued together, it's super solid. The 2x4s are mounted on studs 32" apart.

I used 1" PVC which made finding the right hole saw a challenge. I ended up using a 1 3/8" spade bit and filled it with adhesive and drove a deck screw through the PVC from the side. 8 out of the 10 are very sturdy and the other 2 will become more sturdy as the glue dries.

Overall, it worked very well. I have 5 evenly spaced racks 16" apart. I can add one more at the bottom if I need another. The one at the top is a tight fit, but as long as I'm careful and the board doesn't have 2" fins, it works fine.

So now that you have had these done for a month, anything you would change?

I am going to build some storage racks and thought I would use your design variation.

So now that you have had these done for a month, anything you would change?

I am going to build some storage racks and thought I would use your design variation.

Not really...I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Like I said above, I think I would use expanding foam instead of the adhesive, or at least try it on one of them. The glue has turned out to be pretty solid with a screw through it, but I think the foam would have been like cement. Instead of measuring from the ground up, I would measure from the ceiling down to make sure you have clearance at the top to put a board up there. I think if I did it again, I would give myself just a few more inches at the top. Just experiment with an arm pre-built to see where to put the first hole, then you can measure down from there. Good luck!

Not really...I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Like I said above, I think I would use expanding foam instead of the adhesive, or at least try it on one of them. The glue has turned out to be pretty solid with a screw through it, but I think the foam would have been like cement. Instead of measuring from the ground up, I would measure from the ceiling down to make sure you have clearance at the top to put a board up there. I think if I did it again, I would give myself just a few more inches at the top. Just experiment with an arm pre-built to see where to put the first hole, then you can measure down from there. Good luck!

What is the expanding foam? Is that something you would just use on the arm as it attaches to the 2x4 support? Would you still use cement to put together the pipe to the 450 elbow and the end cap? I've never worked with PVC piping before.

What is the expanding foam? Is that something you would just use on the arm as it attaches to the 2x4 support? Would you still use cement to put together the pipe to the 450 elbow and the end cap? I've never worked with PVC piping before.

Yes, still use general PVC cement to attach the elbow to the arm and the nub going into the board (do it in a well ventilated area...those fumes'll kill ya). I didn't cement the end cap on, didn't see the point since it was tight enough.

By expanding foam, I mean the sealant/insulation stuff that comes in a can, like this, or this. Yes, I would have just filled the hole in the 2x4 with the sealant and inserted the PVC tube. Be careful with how much you put in..that stuff really expands a lot. When it cures, it gets rock hard and can be cut and sanded down if it expands too much. I think I would still put the screw through the side anyway for a bit of extra confidence that thing is staying up there. If you're not comfortable with the foam, the general adhesive worked just fine also. It dried pretty hard too.

Thanks for the info and links. I bought the connectors and cement today and will pick up the PVC pipe, 2x4's, and the foam tomorrow and get this done. I will probably start from the bottom as the height is not an issue. The ceiling is about 12 or 13 feet high.

Thanks for the info and links. I bought the connectors and cement today and will pick up the PVC pipe, 2x4's, and the foam tomorrow and get this done. I will probably start from the bottom as the height is not an issue. The ceiling is about 12 or 13 feet high.

Ah, nice. I only had 8' to work with, so it was an issue at the top. Have fun. Biggrin.gif

I finished the storage racks yesterday and all went well. I will have to take a picture and post it later.

The hardest part was getting the 1" pipe to fit snugly into a 1 3/8" hole. I ended up adding some wood filler putty into the hole and then using adhesive and the Great Stuff that was suggested. I finished that all off with the 3" screws. It is all rock solid and I think looks nice. I didn't paint the 2x4's, but may give that to my son as a project, or just leave it alone.

We managed to get the boat out for a few hours in the afternoon and then stored all of the boards in the racks after we got back.