Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

biggest problems areas

mtodd

#1 Blower motor

#2 Steering cable assembly

#3 Oil sending unit

#4 Lack of a few goodies which will be added shortly such as Tower, Speed control,shower......

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RTS

• WakeGirl

• krock

• Greg_S

Top Posters In This Topic

... my only problem with my boat is that the fuel gauge sucks! At full it reads 3/4 and when I hit empty, I have to lift up the center door to see how much gas I have left.

Unfixable by my dealer.

If you can get to the top of your tank (where the sending unit is) this is such an easy and inexpensive fix to make yourself. I can't tell you what a difference it made to have an accurate fuel guage.

There's an article in the tech/DIY section on this site that will tell you how to fix this problem

The only one I found was by Malibudoc. Is that the one you are reffering to?

Thanks.

ps. where is the spell checker with the new format????

... my only problem with my boat is that the fuel gauge sucks! At full it reads 3/4 and when I hit empty, I have to lift up the center door to see how much gas I have left.

Unfixable by my dealer.

If you can get to the top of your tank (where the sending unit is) this is such an easy and inexpensive fix to make yourself. I can't tell you what a difference it made to have an accurate fuel guage.

There's an article in the tech/DIY section on this site that will tell you how to fix this problem

The only one I found was by Malibudoc. Is that the one you are reffering to?

Thanks.

ps. where is the spell checker with the new format????

Just pick up a universal sending unit like this one. Any that you like will work, as long as they are calibrated for 33-240 Ohms. Follow the instructions and it should take no more than 30 minutes to install (once you get to your current sending unit) Made my guage nearly as accurate as the one in my truck. There is no need to put up with the infamous Malibu gas guage when the fix is as easy and cheap as this:

Fuel Sending Unit

Two MDC's, Oil sender unit, Blower, Steering cable. Because the way they mounted the MDC in a Sunsetter, water gets trapped in it and freezes. I now take the MDC off in the winter and put them in the house so they won't freeze. The other items are normal wear and tear items.

Edited by Sunset_Bob
MalibuNation

Friends who don't contribute enough gas $ and help with the cleaning.

I bought brand new in 2003 and the throttle cable came of on the 4th of July when I was throwing a party. Jerry rigged parts of my perfect pass to get it to work, that would have sucked if I didn't get that fixed.

I've busted my paddle wheel twice - putting it on the lift or trailer.

this thread would last all about 2 seconds on Team MC. ....

my bu had two issues.

had to get the ecm re flashed to stop a high idle .

and the 05 carpet issue. fixed by using the magic powder.

The factory connections under the dash has been a problem a couple times. Caused my PP and gauges to go wacky on me a few times.

Other than that, the biggest issue I've had is keeping the Bu clean. Cleaning the boat has to be 3rd on the list of where I spend the most time.

1. Driving the boat

2. Behind the boat

3. Cleaning the boat

Guess I just need to make more money so I can pay someone to keep her clean.

HA! I am:

1. Cleaning the boat

2. Driving the boat

3. Fueling the boat

4. Behind the boat.

As far as problems go, nothing major has gone wrong with my boat as of yet. I've had some rudder tweaking to do and a couple of paddle wheels because of a bad bunk set up on my lift. Sticky retractable pylon is another. Nothing major and nothing out of pocket yet.

I have had one major complaint since I purchased my 1st Malibu - The water here in Florida just gets so dang cold in January and February that the boat only gets used 10 months of the year.... Whistling.gif

I have had one major complaint since I purchased my 1st Malibu - The water here in Florida just gets so dang cold in January and February that the boat only gets used 10 months of the year.... Whistling.gif

Mad.gifCry.gifBash.gifRanting.gif

The fuel gauge on the old boat (and the drive shaft, but that wasn't Malibu's fault).

The heat at idle on the new boat, which is being corrected, I hope.

I've only owned 1 since Oct '06. '02 VLX. Really only 1 issue. When the boat is off & I switch to the 2nd battery to blast the stereo after a few minutes a beeping sound comes thru the speakers. Called the dealer & they think its a battery / eletrical issue. Any ideas? Dontknow.gif

I've only owned 1 since Oct '06. '02 VLX. Really only 1 issue. When the boat is off & I switch to the 2nd battery to blast the stereo after a few minutes a beeping sound comes thru the speakers. Called the dealer & they think its a battery / eletrical issue. Any ideas? Dontknow.gif

Krock,

two questions:

1. is it a Sony head unit

2. is the beeping sound like hi, low, hi, low... pause... hi, low, hi, low

If the answer to both questions is yes, Sony has a very irritating "feature" on their head units to remind you to take the face plate with you when the power is turned off.

I know from your description the power isn't "off" but their may be some power draw that is still hooked up to the main battery, perhaps the small amount of current required to retain the station presets, etc.

Just a thought...

I have that same annoying "feature" on my Sony. You'd think it would beep its reminder at you right when you power it down, but it has a delay of maybe 5 seconds or so, and it is sent through the speakers. The first couple times it happened it made me think it was an alarm from the boat of some sort. Anybody know how to disable that feature? I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

We've had very few problems since new:

Replaced the ignition switch, an unreliable gas guage, an easy replacement thanks to mlange, an intermittent speedometer, still a problem, leaking exhaust manifold heat risers, now fixed and the biggest problem of all is never having enough time on the water. Cry.gif

Other than these irritating issues we love our Bu. Rockon.gifRockon.gif

SAS

Krock,

two questions:

1. is it a Sony head unit

2. is the beeping sound like hi, low, hi, low... pause... hi, low, hi, low

If the answer to both questions is yes, Sony has a very irritating "feature" on their head units to remind you to take the face plate with you when the power is turned off.

I know from your description the power isn't "off" but their may be some power draw that is still hooked up to the main battery, perhaps the small amount of current required to retain the station presets, etc.

Just a thought...

I have MB Quart stereo. It's a constant high beep(beep, beep, beep) coming thru the speakers. Happens when I turn the key to the off position & turn the stereo on to listen to music. The only way I've figured how to make it stop is after running the boat. Almost like a battery has to recharge. When I have the boat parked in the backyard, I'll turn the stereo on to listen to music while I'm messing w/ the boat. A short period of listening to music & the beeping starts???

I have MB Quart stereo. It's a constant high beep(beep, beep, beep) coming thru the speakers. Happens when I turn the key to the off position & turn the stereo on to listen to music. The only way I've figured how to make it stop is after running the boat. Almost like a battery has to recharge. When I have the boat parked in the backyard, I'll turn the stereo on to listen to music while I'm messing w/ the boat. A short period of listening to music & the beeping starts???

Thread Hijack reply to Krock,

Forgot to say welcome to the sight before. MB Quart has a low voltage warning beep. It sounds like that's what you are getting. A feature list for the NRA 450 head unit lists "Audible low voltage indicator" as a feature (just like Sony has the face place reminder "feature").

A reviewer of another MB Quart head unit said this...

"It has a low voltage beeping that is happening for me below 12v yet the manual never mentions it. It is not defeatable and will continue to beep until proper voltage is met. This feature could be helpful but for me, it beeps even while being powered by a solid car battery."

It sounds like your dealer is correct that it is a battery/electrical issue. You should have the batter checked first, that's probably the cheapest/easiest solution. If it's old you could probably just replace it yourself and see if that helps. If the battery checks out OK, you could be in the same situation as the reviewer above, where even a solid battery causes the beep.

There may be some people that have other ideas and have dealt with MB Quart before. I would suggest posting the question in the "Stereo Info & How-To" section and see if anyone has any other ideas.

end of thread hijack

• 4 months later...

Riveted cooler door seems rinky dink, need to drill out and replace w/bolts perhaps, it's really loose.

Circuit pops when I use shower and heater at same time. No idea how to fix that one, they work fine independently.

Low oil pressure beeping at hole-shot, probalby the switch, just haven't fixed yet.

Trailer (I know, not really Malibu's fault):

Diamond plates falling off and rusting underneath (replace by Extreme no cost, my labor)

Reverse solenoid lock-out: grounded per a mod found here and works like a charm.

That's it, boat is sweet!

Edited by Green_Giant

H D S !

No problems with the Bu at all before

I bent the prop on something.

Its at Smooth Water Sports getting fixed

right now.Im sure Pete will have me

back on the lake very soon.

MH

H D S !

No problems with the Bu at all before

I bent the prop on something.

Its at Smooth Water Sports getting fixed

right now.Im sure Pete will have me

back on the lake very soon.

MH

HDS!!! OH MY!!! Cry.gif GOOD Luck brother.