Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

post a pic of your lifts bunks

asp13

My Dad is looking at a new boat but is worried a V drive would not fit on his current lift and bunk set up (current boat is a 19ft with an outboard). He doesn't want to get a new lift/bunk set up but I'm curious how your lifts look how if anyone has had issues hitting the prop or drive shaft on their lift

10 hours ago, stang233 said:

What type of lift does he have now? 

Is there a way to post a picture from my phone and not a url image?

2 hours ago, asp13 said:

Is there a way to post a picture from my phone and not a url image?

Yes, by becoming a paid member.  Or upload your photo to an image sharing site and link the URL here.

He would need to make sure that his bunks are tall enough for the tracking fins to clear the crossbar.  The only other thing is to make sure that the rear crossbar isn't so far back that it bumps the running gear.  It would need to be pretty far back to do that if it is low enough for the fins.

The easy button is either replace the bunks with thicker ones or stack more boards on top.  My trailer has 4x6 bunks to help with clearance.

@asp13  you don't really need the bunks tall enough for tracking fin(s) to clear crossbar, you just need to be able to lower the lift low enough in the water that the tracking fins don't hit the crossbar when docking or leaving.  As for the rest of the running gear (Prop and rudder) they can just stay behind the rear crossbar (i.e. don't pull too far forward).  The bunks really only need to be high enough so hull is not resting on crossbars and have enough room for prop shaft clearance etc.  Make sense?

p.s. from what i can tell from the one pick you posted, that should be a good starting point, might even work with no adjustments.  Possibly just slide bunks in or out a bit

last thing to take note of, just make sure lift motors, cables, etc. can handle whatever weight of boat you may upgrade to.

You should really have a 2x4 or a 1x4 which is carpeted "stop bar".  That's what I have on my lift.  It's positioned so my tracking fin touches it, pull on lift slowly until tracking fin touches.  Easy peasy.  It's weak enough that if you really messed up the board will break before ever damaging the boat.