Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SOON!!

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach

That 02 Sunscape 21 LSV I keep annoying you with is being picked up, and delivered, early this morning and late this afternoon, respectively, in MI and GA.

With any luck, the home at which it will reside will be finished in a couple of weeks, and after we've unloaded the trailer and set up our bed (can't do anything without a place to sleep and stuff to cook and eat on), this will be me this summer and into the fall:

SkipWaterskiOffsideCut2.jpg.2183d3be0cf522b3169cf777e692ff96.jpgSkipWaterskiOffsideCut3.thumb.jpg.11753f67f7697eea712e9d2dc3603423.jpgWetsuitCourseCut.jpg.ad3b1c842098fec57d3188b3f8f4d015.jpg

But first I have to get my son to find that custom HO ski, built for a Nautique (pardon the expression) rep, and fitted with custom HO XXL (14W gives me a good understanding) full boots, wherever under the miasma in his basement it may be hiding!

Meanwhile, the lacing boot cover to HIS ski's almost-big-enough bindings has been rescued by a cruising buddy who's a sailmaker (we lived and cruised aboard a Morgan 461 sailboat for 15 years) having repaired the broken outer sleeve on one of HIS boots; it's under way to GA from VA, ETA this week.

Color me stoked and a heavy-duty Malibu fan (I just ordered another long-sleeved Tee because my day at the flea market was so stupendously well protected from sun, and earlier, during my sea trial, warm enough that I didn't need a jacket in the 60 degree 20-mph breeze enhanced by my hot start and hard turns testing mentioned elsewhere).

MalibuShirtBack.jpeg.4b111cfc88c3ac924ab3e3f556d65b7d.jpeg   MalibuShirtFront.jpeg.9149927e94ba85a55275e118487d4082.jpeg

L8R

Skip

SkipGundlach

Update; I was a bit optimistic/misinformed, as the broker just texted me to say:

"Hi Skip, the boat is due to leave this afternoon. You will be amazed at the detail. It looks like a new boat. He's giving the boat a final bath. I will snap a few pics just before lunch."

I'll come back with the more notable ones so y'all can drool over the stupendously amazing deal we got on our new ride.  Unfortunately, while I did shine the light into the EH meter to see that it had only 717 vs the advertised 777 hours, that wasn't one of the pictures I took.  Trailer repair will commence once I get there with my tow vehicle so we can take it to a body shop...

L8R, y'all!

Nick55

Skip, when was the last time you skied like that?  If you’re still using an older ski, the last 10 years have really changed skis (I learned this the hard way). You should look at a later model Radar Senate (any model, I like the Alloy), and (for safety) some fresh bindings with a new rope.  

Nick55
Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

…as has swimwear :whistle:

Im just glad he’s got some on….. I didn’t analyze the photos too much because I did see a LOT of skin!

• Haha 1
SkipGundlach
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

What?  I need to go buy some with patterns???
https://us.speedo.com/elysium.search?search=briefs

TOTM is that I've not skied in some time.
The ski in question is a 72" HO, label forgotten as I've not laid eyes on it for a while, and my son can't find it (or hasn't bothered to, yet) in the trash heap which is his basement.
But I intend starting from scratch - get up, and then start in the mid-20s doing slow turns until I've got my timing and balance back in order.
From there I'll start cutting a bit - actual direction change with an edge, and then wakes (going through on edge).
Etc., rinse repeat.  I doubt, as we didn't see any last summer in the week we were where our home was going to be built (no tool had touched the land yet), that I'll do any course work, though if I discover a coven of other course skiers, I'll ask - probably not before next year - if I can have a run.

And my wife, despite several of my cruising buddies (we lived and cruised aboard a Morgan 46 sailboat for 15 years) wearing exactly the same sort of Speedo, has demanded I wear a suit that looks more like shorts, support and comfort and all the other reasons I wore Speedos for 60 years be damned.  So likely any future photos won't be with my red or blue or green or black speedos...

L8R, y'all!

SkipGundlach
1 hour ago, Nick55 said:

Skip, when was the last time you skied like that?  If you’re still using an older ski, the last 10 years have really changed skis (I learned this the hard way). You should look at a later model Radar Senate (any model, I like the Alloy), and (for safety) some fresh bindings with a new rope.  

I'm nominally (changes with the time of day at my age) 6-3 +/- and 195 +/- 5 pounds, so a large (72" in the instant case) ski, and my 14s, XXXL boots, make it unlikely that I'll buy a today-ski unless some ski fairy bestows one on me.  Lines will be new-ish, having lived most of their life out of the sun and with very limited use (said son no longer skiing); other-ski which binding my (other) son who bought the boat managing to stuff my sasquatchian feet into, tearing the outer shell in one case, not likely being what I'll ride, but which fits boat-son just fine, with similar limited use.  Both of us will be resuming a pleasant trip down memory lane (our skiing together was the proximate reason for his building the house and buying the boat, so I could teach his boys, and when *I'm* compost, he could ride (we got the crossover cuz we don't know whether wake or ski will make them shine) with HIS sons...

9 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

I'm nominally (changes with the time of day at my age) 6-3 +/- and 195 +/- 5 pounds, so a large (72" in the instant case) ski, and my 14s, XXXL boots, make it unlikely that I'll buy a today-ski unless some ski fairy bestows one on me.  Lines will be new-ish, having lived most of their life out of the sun and with very limited use (said son no longer skiing); other-ski which binding my (other) son who bought the boat managing to stuff my sasquatchian feet into, tearing the outer shell in one case, not likely being what I'll ride, but which fits boat-son just fine, with similar limited use.  Both of us will be resuming a pleasant trip down memory lane (our skiing together was the proximate reason for his building the house and buying the boat, so I could teach his boys, and when *I'm* compost, he could ride (we got the crossover cuz we don't know whether wake or ski will make them shine) with HIS sons...

https://radarskis.com/products/mens-session.  Get a 69” or even a 67”.  Thank me later.  Then pare down the width and speed and angle start going up.  Have fun w your new boat!

SkipGundlach
2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

2 hours ago, Nick55 said:

Im just glad he’s got some on….. I didn’t analyze the photos too much because I did see a LOT of skin!

speedoRagged.jpg.b455945a548765505fee5cb7b769517c.jpg

This was with others; in the Bahamas, mostly I didn't ☺

I  can't wait to get back out on the water...

SkipGundlach
On 5/6/2024 at 2:40 PM, 85 Barefoot said:

https://radarskis.com/products/mens-session.  Get a 69” or even a 67”.  Thank me later.  Then pare down the width and speed and angle start going up.  Have fun w your new boat!

I went and had a look.

Not really surprising, as in the late 90s/early oughts, my boots for the 72" custom HO ski seen earlier (and which apparently has been teleported elsewhere, as all attempts to get a response from the other son who - at one time - had it in his basement) were over $100 each, but getting 'real' boots would triple the cost of that ski.

I'm not ready to spend a grand on a ski - ever, let alone before I prove that I can do it again...

1 hour ago, SkipGundlach said:

I went and had a look.

Not really surprising, as in the late 90s/early oughts, my boots for the 72" custom HO ski seen earlier (and which apparently has been teleported elsewhere, as all attempts to get a response from the other son who - at one time - had it in his basement) were over $100 each, but getting 'real' boots would triple the cost of that ski.

I'm not ready to spend a grand on a ski - ever, let alone before I prove that I can do it again...

You could be on that ski with a new boot and toe plate for under 500.  I frankly don’t understand some of your posts, but if you’re talking about using a double boot setup, no big deal, call it 600.  If you can’t find your custom HO ski, you’re going to need one.  I have several 68 or 69 inch skis I’d sell.  If interested pm me.  Otherwise, I’d suggest www.ski-it-again.com.   Good luck. 

• Like 1
SkipGundlach
14 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

You could be on that ski with a new boot and toe plate for under 500.  I frankly don’t understand some of your posts, but if you’re talking about using a double boot setup, no big deal, call it 600.  If you can’t find your custom HO ski, you’re going to need one.  I have several 68 or 69 inch skis I’d sell.  If interested pm me.  Otherwise, I’d suggest www.ski-it-again.com.   Good luck. 

I'd forgotten about the ski-it site; Play-it-again-sports is something we've used before, too.

However, I'm curious about your pricing, unless their page isn't real, because full boots were upwards of 3 large, and the ski itself as well.  Size 14s doesn't enhance easy cost/find of anything not custom...

My son has a more recent HO with an adjustable large boot set; I tore the outer shell getting into the front one (since repaired, but making me reluctant to do it again for fear of ripping the other boot, too).

But I'll wander around the SIA and the three PIASport stores in GA when I get up there, to see if there's anything worth trying.  We have to get a bimini, too, so there will be various stuff before we start shredding.

Thanks for the bounce.

L8R

Skip

Nick55

Skip, two things.  Look at Lands End swim trunks.  They have some that will give the support of speedos and not scare the neighbor ladies. (Just kidding).

Radar has open toe boots that go up to size 14, and matching rear boots if you want one or rear toe plates.  They also have 71” skis but you may find a more modern 68-69 would be worth a try too.  

SkipGundlach
2 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

Skip, two things.  Look at Lands End swim trunks.  They have some that will give the support of speedos and not scare the neighbor ladies. (Just kidding).

Radar has open toe boots that go up to size 14, and matching rear boots if you want one or rear toe plates.  They also have 71” skis but you may find a more modern 68-69 would be worth a try too.  

Thanks to both!  I much prefer the full support of boots rather than toe loops...  And the support of the Speedo - but I got outranked by the Admiral who made me give away 4 still-in-wrapper and two lightly used, now in entirely pedestrian might-as-well-be-naked no-support (loose mesh) trunks.

As to the length, my HO (Extreme? I don't recall and it's been a VERY long time since I last saw it) was old school, straight line until the tips, with very little taper to either, so likely the more current style could accommodate me with less length.  Plus, I'm probably ~20 pounds lighter, now.  I forget the length of the ski on which I tore the binding, but for sure it's wider (the son from whom it came was ~250 but only a 12 foot - and these bindings were the wide-range, bungee-laced variety).  But, as the title sez, SOON I'll be able to pursue more directly...

I put a pair of Radar Vapor boots on my late 1980s Connelly Shortline II ski about six or seven years ago.  I got the boots basically new on SIA from a guy who had bought them as previous year's stock and then found that they didn't fit him.  I think I paid $250 for the pair.  I put a lot of thought into boot position when I mounted them, so it wound up bringing new life to the ski.  The ski is still a lot better than I will ever be.

As for the Speedos, why not wear them for the support and slide on a pair of spandex shorts over them for the admiral?  If you sometimes forget to add the spandex and get the glare from her, you know that she is still paying attention.

I'd forgotten about the ski-it site; Play-it-again-sports is something we've used before, too.

However, I'm curious about your pricing, unless their page isn't real, because full boots were upwards of 3 large, and the ski itself as well.  Size 14s doesn't enhance easy cost/find of anything not custom...

My son has a more recent HO with an adjustable large boot set; I tore the outer shell getting into the front one (since repaired, but making me reluctant to do it again for fear of ripping the other boot, too).

But I'll wander around the SIA and the three PIASport stores in GA when I get up there, to see if there's anything worth trying.  We have to get a bimini, too, so there will be various stuff before we start shredding.

Thanks for the bounce.

L8R

Skip

Boots:

https://radarskis.com/products/prime-boot

Yeah, you need two.  You dont have to pay retail.  Look for 2023 or ski it again.  Tons of non-radar options as well.

I recall your posts on BallofSpray about difficulties getting up out of the water. Real talk: buy a new ski. Don’t waste your time. Get a radar session. Unless you figured out getting out of the water again, then the senate is a great buy. I dont get why people spend time and money on a boat but refuse to upgrade very old skis. The new ones are so much more forgiving!

SkipGundlach
10 minutes ago, SpencerK1992 said:

I recall your posts on BallofSpray about difficulties getting up out of the water. Real talk: buy a new ski. Don’t waste your time. Get a radar session. Unless you figured out getting out of the water again, then the senate is a great buy. I dont get why people spend time and money on a boat but refuse to upgrade very old skis. The new ones are so much more forgiving!

Actually, I got right up.  The issue of the time was that I had severe patellar-femoral arthritis, and my leg muscles had atrophied due to lack of use from the pain upon standing.  Which meant I couldn't stand from the heels-on-butt position - I let go after a hundred or so feet of no-way-José trying to stand.

Enter two TKAs, and my legs are recovering nicely; I can't quite sit on my heels yet (flexibility is ALMOST there), but I CAN stand from a chair or a toilet or the floor without using my hands.  It will be another couple of weeks before I can get in the water behind the boat being delivered about the same time I arrive at the lake, and we'll shortly see about my ability to rise from the squat which gets me out of the water ☺

But thanks for the thought.  I just Free-To-Good-Home-scored a new pair of 172cm Obrien combos, the outer shell to the more-modern HO boot I tore (size 14s) getting into it last Independence Day week, and out of the water I rode without being able to stand has now been repaired and restored, and my son is whittling away at the possible places my custom 72" HO with the two custom XXXL full boots is hidden when he got it for safekeeping while we lived aboard a sailboat, so one way or the other I'll be back on the water soon!

Thanks for thinking of me ☺

L8R

Skip

Actually, I got right up.  The issue of the time was that I had severe patellar-femoral arthritis, and my leg muscles had atrophied due to lack of use from the pain upon standing.  Which meant I couldn't stand from the heels-on-butt position - I let go after a hundred or so feet of no-way-José trying to stand.

Enter two TKAs, and my legs are recovering nicely; I can't quite sit on my heels yet (flexibility is ALMOST there), but I CAN stand from a chair or a toilet or the floor without using my hands.  It will be another couple of weeks before I can get in the water behind the boat being delivered about the same time I arrive at the lake, and we'll shortly see about my ability to rise from the squat which gets me out of the water ☺

But thanks for the thought.  I just Free-To-Good-Home-scored a new pair of 172cm Obrien combos, the outer shell to the more-modern HO boot I tore (size 14s) getting into it last Independence Day week, and out of the water I rode without being able to stand has now been repaired and restored, and my son is whittling away at the possible places my custom 72" HO with the two custom XXXL full boots is hidden when he got it for safekeeping while we lived aboard a sailboat, so one way or the other I'll be back on the water soon!

Thanks for thinking of me ☺

L8R

Skip

Skip, all due respect, but thats called not getting up.  Get a wide ski.  Even an HO hoverboard would be awesome to get you going again.  Why in the world you would try to use a however old skinny 72” ski (they were all skinny back then) is beyond me and several here. Do yourself a favor.  IT will be well worth it.  There has to be some radar butterknifes on SIA too.  

SkipGundlach
14 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Skip, all due respect, but thats called not getting up.  Get a wide ski.  Even an HO hoverboard would be awesome to get you going again.  Why in the world you would try to use a however old skinny 72” ski (they were all skinny back then) is beyond me and several here. Do yourself a favor.  IT will be well worth it.  There has to be some radar butterknifes on SIA too.  

The part under me had nothing to do with the problem - unless it was that I couldn't push it into the water to let my legs extend.  That particular ski IS a wide ski.  But once I get back up and with my feet 3' under me rather than on my butt as it was that time, whether on that wider 172cm combo pair or the even-wider dunno-how-long dual-booted one from last year, or, if my son ever finds the one I competed on, I'll revisit upgrading.

But this being my 80th trip around the sun, I'm not ruling out that I may not ski again, pending proof to the contrary, not from fear of injury but mere old age...

But, regardless, I'll teach a buncha others how to get up and out and begin playing ☺

And PS if there are any size-14 folks who'd care to come visit Lake Hartwell near Toccoa 30577, bringing their current technology ski with them, I'm happy to explore today's realities, and give them a pull (or dozens) on this stretch of nearly inactive water (nobody out before 10 AM last Independence Day week) - we're at the top of the keyhole; go north until next to the docks in SC, and about a mile of a straight run...

SkiWater.thumb.JPG.1e86a3a543dc41dfaf57952a4da3e040.JPG

• Like 2
On 5/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, SkipGundlach said:

The part under me had nothing to do with the problem - unless it was that I couldn't push it into the water to let my legs extend.  That particular ski IS a wide ski.  But once I get back up and with my feet 3' under me rather than on my butt as it was that time, whether on that wider 172cm combo pair or the even-wider dunno-how-long dual-booted one from last year, or, if my son ever finds the one I competed on, I'll revisit upgrading.

image.thumb.png.962b299949d8ba06cb7bddb76f6061cb.png

Found a pic; it's a 69" Charger Comp Freeride, with XL SHOCK front and rear boots:
image.thumb.png.db710163a90e94e9086eedabaee15181.png

But this being my 80th trip around the sun, I'm not ruling out that I may not ski again, pending proof to the contrary, not from fear of injury but mere old age...

But, regardless, I'll teach a buncha others how to get up and out and begin playing ☺

And PS if there are any size-14 folks who'd care to come visit Lake Hartwell near Toccoa 30577, bringing their current technology ski with them, I'm happy to explore today's realities, and give them a pull (or dozens) on this stretch of nearly inactive water (nobody out before 10 AM last Independence Day week) - we're at the top of the keyhole; go north until next to the docks in SC, and about a mile of a straight run...

SkiWater.thumb.JPG.1e86a3a543dc41dfaf57952a4da3e040.JPG

My apologies; the pix and commentary somehow didn't make it the first time, other than the map pic...

Departure has been further delayed; prolly not there before just prior to Memorial Day...

9 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

My apologies; the pix and commentary somehow didn't make it the first time, other than the map pic...

Departure has been further delayed; prolly not there before just prior to Memorial Day...

I'd be heading out with the truck and picking it up - but I have no patience ;)

52 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'd be heading out with the truck and picking it up - but I have no patience ;)

LOL the delay is about the readiness of our home, not  the boat. 

But I'd thought about doing the delivery myself, I have to admit, as it's costing my son over $1500.  But sanity reigned, as it's a 12 hour drive and 735 miles (3 motel days, ~$350 in fuel, and 4 days' driving; I'll deal with moving from FL to GA, which is plenty to keep me busy), and he's happy to pay the shipper who's ready when we are - which keeps moving a day-at-a-time later (don't want to move in while the painters are doing their thing, or the floor's not yet laid, etc.)...

And, of course, our getting ready to leave FL forever keeps having chores and pleasures (goodbye dinners, etc.) accumulating or sprouting.

But we'll be there soon enough, and so will the boat ☺

Edited by SkipGundlach
MoreInfo
2 hours ago, SkipGundlach said:

LOL the delay is about the readiness of our home, not  the boat. 

But I'd thought about doing the delivery myself, I have to admit, as it's costing my son over $1500.  But sanity reigned, as it's a 12 hour drive and 735 miles (3 motel days, ~$350 in fuel, and 4 days' driving; I'll deal with moving from FL to GA, which is plenty to keep me busy), and he's happy to pay the shipper who's ready when we are - which keeps moving a day-at-a-time later (don't want to move in while the painters are doing their thing, or the floor's not yet laid, etc.)...

And, of course, our getting ready to leave FL forever keeps having chores and pleasures (goodbye dinners, etc.) accumulating or sprouting.

But we'll be there soon enough, and so will the boat ☺

LOL - yeah if that is your idea of a daily drive distance then definitely pay someone.