Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter can't add fuel at the pump

Posted (edited)

Getting her out of storage this week to summerize, and I would love to take it to a gas station to fill it up with ethanol free before I put it in the water. Problem is, when I try to fuel at the pump, the pump either shuts off or the gas comes out of the vent next to the nozzle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem adding fuel using my 5-gallon gas cans with my fluid transfer pump.

Edited by Hark

It sounds like the tank vent is plugged. In my area, mud hornets build nests in the vents. The gas can method doesn’t have a vapor lock gasket around the filler so air is allowed to release through the fill tube. 

13 minutes ago, BLSousa said:

It sounds like the tank vent is plugged. In my area, mud hornets build nests in the vents. The gas can method doesn’t have a vapor lock gasket around the filler so air is allowed to release through the fill tube. 

Thank you! We have mud daubers around here as well, so I bet that is it. I will take a look.

A lot of people added a Racor LG50 to their fuel lines, to keep the gas from shooting out the fill hole, while filling. I think they had to be mounted up high, and if the mount fails and it hangs low, then it can cause a back-up. 

I could be wrong about them failing, but I think it's what I read.

• Like 2
Ronnie
32 minutes ago, JasonK said:

A lot of people added a Racor LG50 to their fuel lines, to keep the gas from shooting out the fill hole, while filling. I think they had to be mounted up high, and if the mount fails and it hangs low, then it can cause a back-up. 

I could be wrong about them failing, but I think it's what I read.

Here's the solution.

Posted (edited)

Is the tank full already? :blush:

Do you have a second fueling port on the other side of the boat like my Rlxi? Open that if you do or fill from that side.

Edited by electricjohn

I have a '01 VLX.  I put the pump-handle upside down when filling and that work fine.  DO NOT fill it fast, otherwise when it clicks off you will get 'backwash'.   

• Like 2

I find that not putting the handle all the way into the filler will let it rock back a bit.  This seems to do the same thing.

I agree that you have to start out slowly to convince the vent to start working.  It doesn't take much extra flow to get a big burp.