Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY line/handle supplier? Sound fuelish?

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach

In a prior life, I was able to build custom handles and lines via Ski Rope Parts or some similar name.

In particular, I made the equivalent of an EZUp handle for my wife, enabling her to learn how to get up and out on a slalom ski.  Does any outfit sell line and handles and the like for those such as I am?

Also, someone with a manual likely knows, but what fuel is it that an 02 Sunscape LSV should use??

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Nick55

I’d try asking on Ball of Spray. I don’t see much in the way of individuals custom making their own handles.  But you can buy reasonable handles from S-Lines and Masterline as well. 

No idea about the custom ski ropes but it sounds interesting and I’m sure there are niche suppliers for it similar to fishing rod blanks.  You’ll probably find that the reasonably priced stuff available is suitable for your needs. 

As far as you fuel question goes, the specifications section is likely the best place to find your answer.  🍻 

Posted (edited)

IMG_6585.thumb.jpeg.7f179d4e136eb337db93861d37aa7834.jpeg

Says 89 or 93 for LS1.  I would run non-eth 89/92/93, whichever was obtainable.  I’m not sure if the manuals were addressing eth vs non-eth back in those days but I would just assume those engines are designed for non-eth fuel.  

Edited by PNWoke
SkipGundlach
2 hours ago, PNWoke said:

IMG_6585.thumb.jpeg.7f179d4e136eb337db93861d37aa7834.jpeg

Says 89 or 93 for LS1.  I would run non-eth 89/92/93, whichever was obtainable.  I’m not sure if the manuals were addressing eth vs non-eth back in those days but I would just assume those engines are designed for non-eth fuel.  

I'd thought so as well but went wandering through the 2002 brochure, I discovered that the LS1 is a Corvette, 375HP, engine; THAT is the one requiring 93...

SkipGundlach
3 hours ago, Nick55 said:

I’d try asking on Ball of Spray. I don’t see much in the way of individuals custom making their own handles.  But you can buy reasonable handles from S-Lines and Masterline as well. 

Thanks; I'd been trying to remember the name of that group!

Yes, LS1, LS2, LS3, and LS4 are all various iterations of the corvette motor.  They usually have quite a few special considerations that differ from the standard Chevy motors including using closed cooling systems.

There are a few outfits makiing high end slalom ropes & handles. Doubt you could compete with the bigger middle of the road suppliers for the average handle needs.  Check out S-Lines - they are newest player for high end ropes - really nice products for a better price than other makers.

SkipGundlach
1 minute ago, Rednucleus said:

There are a few outfits makiing high end slalom ropes & handles. Doubt you could compete with the bigger middle of the road suppliers for the average handle needs.  Check out S-Lines - they are newest player for high end ropes - really nice products for a better price than other makers.

Thanks!

In addition, I've since discovered a couple of others:
https://www.lakeelmosports.com/category/Ropes-&-Handles-Handle-Parts

https://www.intowonline.com/

And here's the S-line url:  https://slinesusa.com/collections/slalom-rope-collection

My family owns a hardware store, and we used to make our own ropes and handles. After breaking several that resulted in bad crashes, we went back to purchasing them.

SkipGundlach
5 hours ago, braindamage said:

My family owns a hardware store, and we used to make our own ropes and handles. After breaking several that resulted in bad crashes, we went back to purchasing them.

Wow.  What was the failure modus?
Handle,  line or splice?

17 hours ago, SkipGundlach said:

Lake Elmo makes sense (they are local to me) as they cater mostly to show skiers and I can see those guys needing/wanting to make their own custom length ropes.

On 5/4/2024 at 6:10 PM, SkipGundlach said:

In a prior life, I was able to build custom handles and lines via Ski Rope Parts or some similar name.

In particular, I made the equivalent of an EZUp handle for my wife, enabling her to learn how to get up and out on a slalom ski.  Does any outfit sell line and handles and the like for those such as I am?

Also, someone with a manual likely knows, but what fuel is it that an 02 Sunscape LSV should use??

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

This is only place of know of now that sells handle parts.
https://www.lakeelmosports.com/category/Show-Ropes-&-Handles-Handle-Parts

And I seem I'm a little late with this link. Show ski teams have been making their own ropes forever. 

Yea, Lake Elmo is about your only source for handle parts.  I do about half the rope/handle building/maintenance for our show team.  If you want good non/low-stretch rope for a reasonable price, then the TAC line Lake Elmo sells is the best bang for the buck (good stuff for basically everything but slalom).  You can go Spectra too, but that gets pricy and not as easy to source.  Slalom rope, however, is the only line I won't bother putting together.  I like S-lines for that - high quality, reasonable price. 

If you're building handles for slalom, I've taken to tubing from the V to the loop (anywhere the ski can touch during a start) (good for barefoot ropes too - easier on the feet on starts).  The top bevel on many of the newer carbon skis can be really sharp and damaging to a bare rope.  For tubing, any old 3/8" vinyl (ID) from the hardware store is fine, capped with the tube ends that Lake Elmo sells, or buy a bag from McMaster and punch your own holes (McMaster vinyl caps).  Aluminum knitting needles with the end cut off at a 45 make good fids for rope/handle building.

SkipGundlach
54 minutes ago, TomH said:

(clip)I've taken to tubing from the V to the loop (anywhere the ski can touch during a start) 

(clip)Aluminum knitting needles with the end cut off at a 45 make good fids for rope/handle building.

I've found that a dead large ballpoint pen end, or even a dead sharpie with the point and wick removed, works just fine, and there's usually one I won't mind sacrificing if I don't already have one set aside for the purpose ☺

Like Tom (also) said, however, particularly for students, sliding some vinyl tubing onto each leg (and the bar of the EZUp) of the handle line, including the stem, goes a long way toward keeping it alive longer...

Boat's being picked up soon, after the already-addressed dead-after-successful-sea-trial starboard blinker, and overheating-after-50-miles bearings on the trailer IS addressed; I can't wait to start building my EZUp and hope that my son discovers where he put my custom HO 72" ski with the (also custom) XXXL Sasquatch bindings which actually will accommodate my great understanding.