Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

An OG Malibu Owner's first launch of a "New" Malibu

EchelonMike

ahopkins22LSV

Nothing better then the first launch with a new boat!

I remove our PNP bags each off season, but I have yet had to clean them. I mainly do it to prevent any extra areas that could contain water/moisture through the winter. Maybe that’s why I don’t have to clean them?

I believe there is a depth calibration setting on the small screen. I could be wrong through. I’ve never messed with it. One thing to keep in mind is the depth is the reading from the bottom of the boat. This lsv is going to draft a lot more than your previous boats. Is that the difference you are seeing?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Nothing better then the first launch with a new boat!

I remove our PNP bags each off season, but I have yet had to clean them. I mainly do it to prevent any extra areas that could contain water/moisture through the winter. Maybe that’s why I don’t have to clean them?

I believe there is a depth calibration setting on the small screen. I could be wrong through. I’ve never messed with it. One thing to keep in mind is the depth is the reading from the bottom of the boat. This lsv is going to draft a lot more than your previous boats. Is that the difference you are seeing?

Thanks for the info on the PNP - I will plan on removing them more often to keep them less nasty!  :-) 

On depth, our lake is really deep.  When I backed off the lift yesterday, it showed about 50-60 ft deep, which is what I expected.  We are on the main channel of Norris and it is a very deep lake but was consistently reading 190-ish feed deep which seemed deeper vs what I recall seeing.  Expected 120-150'.  Could be 100% accurate of course.  And not really that important as I'm not hitting the bottom here.   :-) 

image.thumb.png.064f40419098d6a76e378ddfabbf18d9.png

My boat consistently reads 160 -180 ft deep out around the boy scout cove area near the marina. I figured that was about right. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EchelonMike said:

We are on the main channel of Norris and it is a very deep lake but was consistently reading 190-ish feed deep which seemed deeper vs what I recall seeing.  Expected 120-150'. 

Depending what part of Norris you are talking about, those could be legit numbers. Just north of Sequoyah is more than 200-ft deep, and it gets near that towards the dam. If you are seeing those numbers up east of the Peninsula or down on the part of the lake I call the "Big Lake", you got problems. 

Incidentally, my '16 23LSV shows "--" when it gets above 200. 

Edited by BigCreek
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, BigCreek said:

Depending what part of Norris you are talking about, those could be legit numbers. Just north of Sequoyah is more than 200-ft deep, and it gets near that towards the dam. If you are seeing those numbers up east of the Peninsula or down on the part of the lake I call the "Big Lake", you got problems. 

Incidentally, my '16 23LSV shows "--" when it gets above 200. 

Cool, this is just up the lake from Sequoyah.

Olddognewtricks

Great looking boat!   If I hadn't been in mine most of Sat I would've thought someone stole it and sold it to you. :)

on the cleaning of the bags, I've always wondered but never done anything about cleaning them out.   My boat is literally identical to yours and on occasion the bags have had a bit of mold around the connections on top but otherwise stayed pretty clean.   I have no delusions that they are totally clean inside, but have never seen it blow anything out and have never tried to flush them out.  I would be  curious to know if anyone cleans theirs routinely.  Mine stays on a lift under cover from April to September and in a garage the rest if the year and so far no real mold issues.  

Depth finder has always worked well, for which I am grateful since I go around some shallow areas going to and from my dock.  

No idea how accurate it is at deeper areas tho. 

On the stripped screw, not really surprised.   It seems pretty easy to do that with the laminated plastic "plywood" from my limited experience of adding an onboard  charger. I would either do the fix you described or find a nearby sport to reattach. 

One other comment based on where you got your boat - if originally ordered from Blue Creek, they tend to put a torque prop on them.  If M5 motor may want to keep that but with the M6 I just changed mine to a 2805 speed prop based on lots of reviews on here.   So far (1 weekend) I love it.  

good luck.  Hope you love it as much as I do.   

63D5FF91-FD41-4860-BDA7-DE288DDC1D3F.thumb.jpeg.e8559f8fb28b4172b398b740f92f4327.jpeg

• Like 2
On 4/29/2024 at 7:39 PM, Olddognewtricks said:

Great looking boat!   If I hadn't been in mine most of Sat I would've thought someone stole it and sold it to you. :)

on the cleaning of the bags, I've always wondered but never done anything about cleaning them out.   My boat is literally identical to yours and on occasion the bags have had a bit of mold around the connections on top but otherwise stayed pretty clean.   I have no delusions that they are totally clean inside, but have never seen it blow anything out and have never tried to flush them out.  I would be  curious to know if anyone cleans theirs routinely.  Mine stays on a lift under cover from April to September and in a garage the rest if the year and so far no real mold issues.  

Depth finder has always worked well, for which I am grateful since I go around some shallow areas going to and from my dock.  

No idea how accurate it is at deeper areas tho. 

On the stripped screw, not really surprised.   It seems pretty easy to do that with the laminated plastic "plywood" from my limited experience of adding an onboard  charger. I would either do the fix you described or find a nearby sport to reattach. 

One other comment based on where you got your boat - if originally ordered from Blue Creek, they tend to put a torque prop on them.  If M5 motor may want to keep that but with the M6 I just changed mine to a 2805 speed prop based on lots of reviews on here.   So far (1 weekend) I love it.  

good luck.  Hope you love it as much as I do.   

Thanks for the info!  I saw your boat and that you were on Lake Martin - that is where I bought mine!!  Small world, and clearly we both have good taste.  :-)  Wish I could have spent more time exploring Lake Martin - beautiful area.

Anyway, Singleton (Blue Creek) did the warranty transfer for me.  The boat did have the torque prop but I swapped to the 2805 and it's so much better - very pleased with that Crew recommendation.

Thanks again!

Great looking boat and set up.  Congrats on the new purchase!  You are going to find yourself loving all the new tech and features!  (I will spare the jokes on the Kent St flag....Can't read, can't write....LOL.  MAC educated from OH here, as well  :thumbup:...)

I have never pulled my bags.  My boat is dry racked - so I may be less susceptible to water / rain and all.

I am thinking in all four boats we have owned, the depth finder has been good and never needed calibration.  Our dealer does an AWESOME job in putting ten hrs on them before delivering.  I.E. all these types of things are worked out prior to me pulling away.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Great looking boat and set up.  Congrats on the new purchase!  You are going to find yourself loving all the new tech and features!  (I will spare the jokes on the Kent St flag....Can't read, can't write....LOL.  MAC educated from OH here, as well  :thumbup:...)

Thanks!  I am an OU Bobcast myself, so I make fun of the Kent flag too, LOL.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Count me in too. Still working at one.

Miami of Ohio represented, plus spent a lot of time (and Halloweens) at OU on Court st. IYKYK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, JeffK said:

Miami of Ohio represented, plus spent a lot of time (and Halloweens) at OU on Court st. IYKYK

I was 0-3 getting a kid to be a Bobcat...but 3-3 for having Miami Redhawks. :-) Last one graduates next week! 

• Like 2
On 5/3/2024 at 8:04 PM, EchelonMike said:

I was 0-3 getting a kid to be a Bobcat...but 3-3 for having Miami Redhawks. :-) Last one graduates next week! 

Congrats!!  I'm old enough to have been a Miami Redskin

• Haha 1
On 5/3/2024 at 8:04 PM, EchelonMike said:

Did they get to overlap while being there? I had a semester with my sister at the same school and was very grateful for that

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Did they get to overlap while being there? I had a semester with my sister at the same school and was very grateful for that

Yes, they're 3 years apart so when one was a Freshman the other was a Senior.  Worked out well!