Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adjusting trailer torsion bar

3okes

Hi all, my trailer rollers rub my driveway when pulling out or backing in and I'm afraid it's going to damage the driveway soon. So, I was thinking why can't I take the axle hub off the torsion bar and re-clock it so the trailer sits higher. Its new so it should come right apart. Thoughts??

T

Easy 2 wrench job. Just make sure to pre-index the arms on the splined axles. I used a cold chisel to smack a mark into both the axle and arm. I pulled mine to replace a bent axle and greased the shafts for future maintenance if needed. You may have to use a “wedging device” to get the arm off, but it didn’t take much.

Edited by wdr
Cl

Had the same issue. I opted not to raise the torsion bars as I needed to store the boat in the garage over the winter.

Made these up. Total bolt on and they have worked great.

6B2E3783-4A62-4929-A4C6-E32C573A7AEE.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes you can reindex the torsion bars to get a little extra height.  It’s not hard at all.  I had to replace 1 a few years back and it took me longer to reprime the brakes than to replace the whole assembly.  2 wrenches, a dead blow hammer and some penetrating oil was all it took.  That said it might be even easier to go with the solution above or bring your trailer to a welding shop to have those bigger rollers welded on.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:29 PM, 604wakesurf said:

Had the same issue. I opted not to raise the torsion bars as I needed to store the boat in the garage over the winter.

Made these up. Total bolt on and they have worked great.

6B2E3783-4A62-4929-A4C6-E32C573A7AEE.jpeg

Did you actually make those or buy them?

4 hours ago, 3okes said:

Did you actually make those or buy them?

Made them up. Bought the wheels from amazon. Ultra-Fab Products (48-979015) Rigid Skid Wheel