Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 malibu response lxi

Brendonwitmer

Hi, I got a 2004 malibu response lxi and I think the guages are fried because I tested the end of the harness with the dash lights and key on and I'm getting 12 volts on some of the wires. Is this a good way to test it? And if they are bad are stock oem guages the only way to go or is there somewhere that got basically the same thing? Thanks.

Maybe start here. https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Inboard-Ski-Boat-Parts/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1201-MAL

Essentially every one of the "computers" that drives those gauges goes bad eventually. Lots of threads here on either fixing or replacing. Use the search box above for threads on the topic, and a ton of video's that include these products on youtube.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Brendonwitmer said:

Hi, I got a 2004 malibu response lxi and I think the guages are fried because I tested the end of the harness with the dash lights and key on and I'm getting 12 volts on some of the wires. Is this a good way to test it? And if they are bad are stock oem guages the only way to go or is there somewhere that got basically the same thing? Thanks.

The gauges are digital.  All of the wires to the gauges have the same signals on them, so you can plug any wire into any gauge.

The most common problem with these is solder cracks at the connectors inside the main unit.  Remove the unit, pull the cover off, and resolder the joints where the connectors mate with the circuit board.

@Brendonwitmer it's becoming a common issue as they age. Lots of info online. Not Malibu only. Other towboats have Medallions too.

If all gauges are not going it's likely earth or Medallion problem.  Try earths and resoldering MDC or MMDC first.

If that fails to solve it the easy fix is the TRD kit. It's a plug and play solution that deletes the Medallion computer and gives you new analogue gauges and a wiring harness adaptor.

If your competent electrician you can save some $ by fitting other brand analogue gauges.

I opted for TRD when my MMDC failed. Cost less than getting replacement Medallion, gave me nice new gauges (better then the OEM gauges) and no chance of future Medallion computer fail. Sold the old gauges to recover some of the TRD cost. 

Before TRD https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvhX87CeTrjSDtOQS0bVawsQYBUeJYwu/view?usp=sharing

After TRD https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X8nEqv_Eildlj4zfBdSiRZmQBqrGKoK9/view?usp=sharing 

• Like 1
Brendonwitmer

Ok thank you very much

1 hour ago, uk_exile said:

@Brendonwitmer it's becoming a common issue as they age. Lots of info online. Not Malibu only. Other towboats have Medallions too.

If all gauges are not going it's likely earth or Medallion problem.  Try earths and resoldering MDC or MMDC first.

If that fails to solve it the easy fix is the TRD kit. It's a plug and play solution that deletes the Medallion computer and gives you new analogue gauges and a wiring harness adaptor.

If your competent electrician you can save some $ by fitting other brand analogue gauges.

I opted for TRD when my MMDC failed. Cost less than getting replacement Medallion, gave me nice new gauges (better then the OEM gauges) and no chance of future Medallion computer fail. Sold the old gauges to recover some of the TRD cost. 

Before TRD https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvhX87CeTrjSDtOQS0bVawsQYBUeJYwu/view?usp=sharing

After TRD https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X8nEqv_Eildlj4zfBdSiRZmQBqrGKoK9/view?usp=sharing 

Ok thanks for all the info

4 hours ago, Brendonwitmer said:

Ok thank you very much

Ok thanks for all the info

No problem. Do a search and you'll find heap of info! 

It used to be simple process of do connector and earth check, resolder the Medallion, then if still failed, buy replacement MDC / MMDC. But now they're either unavailable or silly money. And the gauges themselves are aging and also silly money to replace. Hence why many of us opt for the easy to fit TRD kit, especially with their nice glass face which is so much better than OEM plastic gauge faces. You can get them with black bezel or stainless like I did.

FYI I also opted to upgrade the original single line Perfect Pass/ tacho combo gauge with new StarGazer PerfectPass. So much easier to use. 

Edited by uk_exile
Brendonwitmer

So if I get the TRD giages is there a kit to only have the speedometer and 4 in 1 guage or do I gotta buy all 3 and and is there a way to still get all the info that was on the oem speedometer?

They respond quickly to email questions. Not sure but I think they do have various kits and one may well plug and play for you. I replaced all. On mine, the other gauge was the speedo and the upgrade turned it into GPS, rather than the pitot type. It was worth that alone. As far as the install, knowing how to do it now, I could literally do it in 5 minutes easy.

There's options for which gauges. Call or email them.  I brought a GPS speedo and 4 in 1 multigauge kit.  This one https://skiboatpartsonline.com/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1208-MAL-PP then brought a PerfectPass Stargazer upgrade kit direct from PerfectPass a few months later when funds allowed

Sorry to piggyback on here, but I am in the process of switching over to the TRD gauges on my 05 Malibu LXi.  They were very helpful with ordering the new speedometer and proper 4 in 1 multigauge.  I also need to add the engine temp sensor and oil pressure monitor to the engine.  Shipping was quick.  I'm just not sure how I will be able to run these two wires to the helm.  No help from them on this.  Any suggestions?

Also, my speedometer has  an LCD screen which gives me information like water temp and engine hours.  I will lose this information once I upgrade to the TRD GPS speedometer.  This is good information and will be missed.

22 minutes ago, Mitchellm said:

I'm just not sure how I will be able to run these two wires to the helm.  No help from them on this.  Any suggestions?

Any old snake wire should work.  Push the snake through the floor following the steering cable from the helm to the engine compartment, then tape the wires to it and pull them back through.

Do as @justgary says. Or if you have heater you can use it to pull the new wires. Either direction works but often access to disconnect hose at heater is tricky so tape new wires to hose at engine, disconnect it from engine block, pull hose and wires into footwell, untape wires, pull more wire through, tape wires to hose and pull it back. Easy. While doing it pull through third wire as a draw wire for any future wiring installs.

I was fortunate and engine already had 'spare' engine temp sensor wired to dash. I recall wire being brown. I didn't need to add a new oil pressure sensor. Not sure why you're needing to do that. Different engine? Mine's Monsoon 340.

Engine hours is visible on PerfectPass display, and can also be read from engine ECM with appropriate tool, so I wasn't concerned about loss of that.

I fitted a Hawkeye 2BX to get depth, water temp and air temp.  See my 'after' photo link in post above.

16 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

Do as @justgary says. Or if you have heater you can use it to pull the new wires. Either direction works but often access to disconnect hose at heater is tricky so tape new wires to hose at engine, disconnect it from engine block, pull hose and wires into footwell, untape wires, pull more wire through, tape wires to hose and pull it back. Easy. While doing it pull through third wire as a draw wire for any future wiring installs.

I was fortunate and engine already had 'spare' engine temp sensor wired to dash. I recall wire being brown. I didn't need to add a new oil pressure sensor. Not sure why you're needing to do that. Different engine? Mine's Monsoon 340.

Engine hours is visible on PerfectPass display, and can also be read from engine ECM with appropriate tool, so I wasn't concerned about loss of that.

I fitted a Hawkeye 2BX to get depth, water temp and air temp.  See my 'after' photo link in post above.

Thanks, but I don't have a heater.   Ron let me know that 05 Malibus are some of the most challenging to convert (of course).  Something about how they experimented with the wiring during that year.  I'll have to play with a wiring snake to see if I can thread it down to the engine compartment.  A part of me is tempted to try resoldering the joints in the MDC which often fail.

Wiring in mine was tiny bit different too. Becaue Australian built and not USA. Ron was super helpful though so sorted it easily. 

Should be fairly easy to push snake from footwell following the steering cable.  Remove the barrier in bilge at front of engine to get better visibility.