Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stiff stearing cable

Hello Crew,

I have a 2004 response that I am helping someone with. We have a stiff stearing cable. Does that mean replacement or can it be lubricated? How is the cable replaced? I have not done one so any ideas would be appreciated. 

Steve

if the steering is stiff, the cable needs to be replaced.  The direct drive on the response does make this much easier.  Unscrew from the rudder side, unscrew the 4 bolts on the rack and pinion side that is attached to the steering wheel and it will pull out.  

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/56100-steering-cable-change-lxi/

• Like 2

You need a new cable as said.  Tape/attached the new cable to the old and pull through after you detach everything.

formulaben

Before you spend the money on a cable, please confirm that it is just "stiff" and not pulling to one side when at speed?  If so, that is rudder pre-load and is normal for an inboard slalom ski boat.  

If it is just stiff in general, and more stiff at speed, then disconnect the end of the cable from the rudder tiller and see how stiff it is by moving the steering wheel.  Then check the rudder for smooth rotation...there is a chance your rudder bushing is damaged and is binding and the cable is fine.

2 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

if the steering is stiff, the cable needs to be replaced.  The direct drive on the response does make this much easier.  Unscrew from the rudder side, unscrew the 4 bolts on the rack and pinion side that is attached to the steering wheel and it will pull out.  

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/56100-steering-cable-change-lxi/

The write up by oldjeep is great! 

After disconnecting the steering cable from the rudder, turn the rudder back and forth by hand to ensure it is not binding and the problem is indeed the cable.

• Like 1

that is a great idea and should have mentioned the rudder check.  Often people think it is the steering cable but a lot often do not even lube the rudder housing and things go bad quickly.  @John I.

1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

that is a great idea and should have mentioned the rudder check.  Often people think it is the steering cable but a lot often do not even lube the rudder housing and things go bad quickly.  @John I.

...and give the rudder zerk only one or two pumps of grease.  Any more and it will blow the seal and you'll have to pull the rudder to fix it.

• Like 3

I love this site because it’s got so many individuals with very solid knowledge base

15 hours ago, 32off said:

I love this site because it’s got so many individuals with very solid knowledge base

And much easier to navigate and find info than Facebook groups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like what everyone said. I did it in my 2003 about 3 years ago.  There were a lot of zip ties that needed to be cut (like 6-8)

Steering cables are a "wear & tear" need to be replaced item. If this cable is original (20 years old) it should be replaced as well as checking rudder as discussed above. 

Another check is the rudder bushings, check them for play both side to side & vertically by simply grabbing the rudder and moving it.  A sloppy rudder can be stiff to turn when the prop wash pushes in one side while turning.  Tends to result in stiff / notchy steering.  As noted, a stiff cable is a service item although one thing you can try - lubricate the cable with some ATF.  To do that, remove the cable from the rudder tiller (which you will be doing either way at this point), pull the rubber seal away and slowly drip some ATF down the sheath and move the cable end to end with the steering wheel to draw the fluid up the cable.  In your case it may of may not work.  While you are at it, may as well check the steering tilt mechanism U joint for tightness & wear.  Smooth & accurate steering is one element of making these boats enjoyable to drive, really important if your CFO is part of your driving crew.

Thanks woodski. I completely agree that one of the many joys of owning these types of boats is the steering and it’s no fun when you’re fighting it… 

I'll add here that the number one killer of steering cables is water intrusion.  Keep your bilge dry so that water never gets to the level of the cable.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:23 AM, dalt1 said:

And much easier to navigate and find info than Facebook groups.

Truth there!  I love my OG Wakesetter FB page I admin but finding stuff is def not organized or easy to find like this forum.