Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buffing the boat

Nick55

That’s kind of where I’m at with the coatings too.  I started buffing on my Malibu yesterday and I definitely need to rethink my approach.  The blue didn’t respond to a wool pad and any amount of polish on a DA, so I may need a small rotary for that.  Also had a point where I wanted to throw up.  I took a 6.5” wool and light polish to where the old reg numbers were and evidently the gelcoat was thin there because I ended up with some yellowish spots 🤮.  So now I will need to plan on fixing that next fall. 

I'm gonna try to tackle some heavy oxidation too. Does this cheap buffer look like it would do the job? I'm thinking buying extra wool pads, etc. and whatever cutting compound is on sale.

Cheap Amazon Buffer

Well, after looking around I found this orbital buffer on a shelf. Not variable speed. 10". Useable with the right pad to remove oxidation and then seal?

10 inch orbital buffer.png

Random orbitals are nearly useless on heavy oxidation.  You want a rotary or at least a gear-driven orbital.  Then maybe use the random orbital to take out any swirls/holograms left by the rotary.  

• Like 2
Nick55

It’s the one I have. Get a few good wool pads that Velcro onto the backing plate. Discard as soon as they wear out.  

I have that HF polisher (older model but very similar) and a Milwaukee M18 one. I like the HF one a lot more bc the Milwaukee one is crazy powerful and will sometimes “get away” from me. 

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I have that HF polisher (older model but very similar) and a Milwaukee M18 one. I like the HF one a lot more bc the Milwaukee one is crazy powerful and will sometimes “get away” from me. 

Another drawback to the Milwaukee is low speed polishes sometimes don't work well with it.  It's lowest speed setting is higher than some of my polishes recommend.  

other than that though I love the M18 ROs.  Game changer for me, I hate managing the cable on my old porter cable.  

On the original subject of pads and polishes, I also recommend Rupes.  I've been using their stuff for a couple of years now after talking to the detailer at Inland Boat Company on the 'Gram.  Their detail team pumps out some flawless looking boats.  I asked Inland Dave to share his secrets - and it's all Rupes in their shop.  It's good stuff. 

ahopkins22LSV

FYI - The compound / polish @shawndoggy suggested is on sale on Amazon with the flagship wax as well. I have used both in the past with good results too and just reordered both.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029CYRG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TR47G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Joshuntnd
On 5/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, rennis said:

Another drawback to the Milwaukee is low speed polishes sometimes don't work well with it.  It's lowest speed setting is higher than some of my polishes recommend.  

other than that though I love the M18 ROs.  Game changer for me, I hate managing the cable on my old porter cable.  

On the original subject of pads and polishes, I also recommend Rupes.  I've been using their stuff for a couple of years now after talking to the detailer at Inland Boat Company on the 'Gram.  Their detail team pumps out some flawless looking boats.  I asked Inland Dave to share his secrets - and it's all Rupes in their shop.  It's good stuff. 

Which pads do recommend, fine, corse, or wool? 

Tackling this in a few hour stints over the last few days. Large wool pads with a fair amount of cutting compound. It's very tricky to get the right angle, speed, friction to get the finish like you expect. Doing this literally today. Using Mcguiars cutting compound and wool pads. It seemed kinda shiny. Then I followed up with Mcguiars polishing on a polishing egg crate type pad. Doing that messed up the finish. I went back to using wool only and cutting compound only slowly increasing the buffers speed and lightening up the force. Eyeing in from a high side angle until it shined like new ! Then rubbed clean, clean clean with microfiber then waxed.

I'm a complete rookie and see that it's a lot of work, fine touch and eyeing critically. I'll try to post some photo's over the weekend as I finish.