Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

00 Wakesetter Engine Pull Cost

Hello!  

I've been a lurker on this site for about a year now but now it's time for my first post.  

Last summer we bought our first boat, a 2000 wakesetter with 500 hours.  Since then I've replaced the alternator, starter and a few other minor items. Now after it was de-winterized it appears that it has an oil leak from the crankcase.  The marina mechanic is quoting me $3700 parts/labor to pull the engine and replace all the seals (crankcase, rear main, oil pan).  Is this a reasonable cost?  

I'm debating if it's worth putting about 5k (needs steering cable and rear platform redone) into a 25 year old boat or if I should just sell it "as-is" and try to get a newer model?  

Any thoughts/feedback is greatly appreciated. 

That seems a little steep. But I know labor can add up real quick.
Sounds like you are fairly technically capable. Removing the engine isn't very hard just kind of a nuisance removing the bulk of the interior to get to it. 
Any reason you don't want to tackle it yourself?

You say crankcase, as in oil pan gasket or is it a front / rear main seal?
The front main seal would be fairly easy in boat.

Rear main would be a little harder removing the trans and v-drive but still do-able in boat. 

31 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

That seems a little steep. But I know labor can add up real quick.
Sounds like you are fairly technically capable. Removing the engine isn't very hard just kind of a nuisance removing the bulk of the interior to get to it. 
Any reason you don't want to tackle it yourself?

You say crankcase, as in oil pan gasket or is it a front / rear main seal?
The front main seal would be fairly easy in boat.

Rear main would be a little harder removing the trans and v-drive but still do-able in boat. 

I believe it's the front main/crankshaft seal or timing cover. I was told the oil pan gasket lays down in the groove in the bottom of the front cover so the engine needs to come out. Someone mentioned a speedy sleeve might be worth a try. 

Front main seal is pretty easy. 
May be kind of tight with the muffler in the way.

If it were me I'd pull your sun deck off, pull the muffler off, then get after it. 
Even if it's the timing cover it can be changed with just loosening the oil pan. 
No doubt you will be bust some knuckles a little and be in some tight spots. But doubt you need to pull the engine.  

The parts or gasket set would set you back in the ball park of $50 for the pan/seals/timing cover and available from numerous suppliers.  If you have some tools, you could rent a cherry picker, bribe a couple of buddies with a case of cold beverages and do the job in a weekend.  You are about 2 hours of labor each way in pulling / replacing.  If it is truly only the front timing cover (which incorporates the front crank seal), you can do that in the boat.

Do you have any insight as to why it suddenly started to leak after your spring start up?  How much oil is it leaking?  Are you sure that the oil level is correct and not overfilled thus creating a leak?  Or even simpler, if there was an oil change, a spillage during the process?

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2
martinarcher

Yeah, if its the timing cover gasket I would certainly try it myself in the boat.  You are right, a SBC, the timing cover should go on first, then the oil pan gasket mating surface is actually on the timing cover gasket groove.  

Check out YouTube, there are some creative fellas out there that have done it.  The tough part is the room you'll have between the transom and the front of the motor.

• Like 1
martinarcher

That said, I'm like Woodski, pulling a boat motor is very easy (nothing complicated) if you have access to something to lift it safely.  Pulling it would let you change both the timing cover and oil pan gasket and give you a much higher chance of a leak free result.  

When I dropped the new engine in the Sunsetter my picture of the engine hanging on the chain and the next photo of it in the boat mounted with the exhaust, throttle, and driveshaft coupling alignment left to do is 14 minutes apart.  

1 hour ago, martinarcher said:

Pulling it would let you change both the timing cover and oil pan gasket

And the fuel and exhaust hoses, too!

• Like 1

This is why I love this site...you guys are awesome!  Thanks for all the feedback it's much appreciated!

• Like 1

Ditto.  I am so glad I tackled this myself, I would 100% do it again.  It's the only engine I've ever pulled out of anything and it was very easy.

017.JPG