Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Step Ladder Sensor

Mazevedo

Hello, first timer on the forum; Tried searching and could not find anything related, so will ask here. We just purchased a 2023 MXZ and it has the swim step ladder which we think will get used often. We take possession of it this Friday and just noticed there is a sensor on the ladder and is hard wired to the dash. We will have to remove our swim step each time we store it in our garage (every trip). Has anyone here installed some form of quick disconnect that is waterproof, easy to connect/disconnect? Would prefer to not permanently disconnect it, or,  unscrew the sensor and cable clip on each trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance....

formulaben

Not sure how well it would work given its proximity to the water line, but I'd suggest a simple 2-prong connector and see how that goes.  If you want something cleaner and don't mind drilling into your boat, something like this might clean it up a bit...but at a cost of a hole near the waterline.  Definitely go IP68 or higher if you can find it. 

Where is this sensor cable in relation to the waterline? 

Mazevedo

Thank you for the suggestion! The sensor is mounted to the ladder with 2 screws and appears the connector to the sensor is not detachable. The cable leaving the sensor is secured to the support arm of the swim step and enters the boat at what I would think would be close to the waterline and runs to the dash. My druthers would be to splice a quick disconnect (similar to the 2 prong in your link) and call it a day. Concern is under load (surfing) if the connection would hold up to the resistance of the water....

1 hour ago, Mazevedo said:

Concern is under load (surfing) if the connection would hold up to the resistance of the water....

The connectors that @formulaben linked are screw lock and sealed.  They aren't going to come apart in moving water.  I would be much more concerned that you install them correctly so that the gland at the cable entrance has a chance to actually seal and not flood the back of the connector with water.

• 2 weeks later...

Learned that Malibu is well aware of the demand for a quick disconnect and working on it. Will likely rollout with the 2025 models. If anyone is interested, I will post an update when I see what they are supporting.