Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20-23 LSV Must haves

Looking at used or left over 23 LSVs.  What are your must have options, that I should be looking for?  2021 was an all new hull & redesign, correct?  So, I might want to stick to 2021+.   

Wife has already said the platform step is a must have. We are at sea level, so probably would be ok w/ a M5, but would love the M6, if it works out. 

Is there a list somewhere of options & their MRSPs, that I just haven't found yet?  On a side note, prices are all over the place. I've seen some new 2023's for less than people want for a used 2020.  

Thanks 

ahopkins22LSV

Platform step, heater, bimini and power seat are our must haves per my wife and I admit they are all very nice to have. I also greatly prefer three pairs of cleats. Everything else like underwater lights, bow lights, wireless charging, rear view camera, etc are nice to haves in my opinion. It’s hard shopping used though. I know some things can be added after the fact so I’d be talking to a dealer about that especially if it is a leftover 2023.

• Like 2

Just bought a new-to-me 2022 23 LSV in January and it checked almost all the boxes I was looking for.  Like you, I would pay more for the M6, but for my use and altitude the M5 is totally fine. The boat we bought had the M5.

My must have items were:

• Clamping racks (after years with bungies...just no more!)
  • Flip down swim platform
  • High Flow ballast with PNP
  • Two pairs of Rev8s
  • Back-up camera
  • Flip seat with table
  • 3 pair of pull up cleats
  • Flip down entry-exit seats
  • Color combo that we love 
  • Walkover from swim platform to interior (standard 2021+...so I ruled out earlier boats)
  • Low hours/transferrable warranty

My preferred but can live without items were:

• Heater
  • Power helm seat
  • Bimini with board storage
  • Speed or Standard Prop option
  • Underwater Lights
  • Docking Lights

Here's the build sheet, we did pretty well:

image.thumb.png.b9c53799afb336895ae5141a60146b11.png

image.thumb.png.d32bdcef42ca3bb6163655fb99165b18.png

Phender Pro's are actually really nice to have, I am excited about that.  And the 360 light is crazy bright...will see if I find any use cases for that.

Lots of good comments already, but here are a few more misc thoughts

-The wakeview seat is polarizing and it's pricey. I'd recommend getting in a couple boats with / without and playing with it before deciding whether you want it. Personally, I find it gets in the way and is a little gimmicky. We ended up not using it much. But it's definitely a personal preference. Ditto for the Natalie seat

-I'd price out the clamping racks versus skylons. Personally I like the skylons better than clamping racks (especially for foils). Plus, whenever you sell, you have the option to put back on the bungee racks and bring the skylons with you to the next boat

-I'd put heater on the must have list without a doubt. And I'd put heated shower on the very nice to have list if you would ever use a wetsuit.

• Like 1

Just to add in here.  Where you are geographically will drive some of this as well as personal preference and what you the family do most often.  I.E. if we lived where I grew up in OH, I wouldn't need a 25' boat and would need every 'heater option' you could check.

A few thoughts if we were building:

• Clamping racks (after years with bungies...just no more! (<--- what he said...)
  • Flip down swim platform
  • Back-up camera
  • As much cool feel interior as you can get
  • Flip seat with table AND rear step (2024 feature in the 23 LSV.  This is the one feature I would almost even have the dealer order me a new rear seat based on how much it gets destroyed from the in / out)
  • 3 pair of pull up cleats
  • Color combo that we love (don't under estimate this for selling on the back end)
  • Heater (a three outlet is pretty cheap)
  • Power helm seat (big difference for someone like my wife when driving the boat)
  • Bimini with board storage
  • Underwater Lights (another cheap options for the few times you use them they are cool)
  • Natalie seat

I have been a bit underwhelmed with the stereos vs cost.  I wouldn't order anything extra and have this done by a third party.

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts guys. One other question- can a “ out of region dealer” sell 2023 close outs since they are 2023?  Dealer by me doesn’t have many left, but I’ve seen others ( Tommy’s, that has quite a few).  To answer some questions - this would be for Lake Travis outside of Austin.  

• Like 1

I believe they can. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I imagine you would be last priority for service/warranty work at your local dealer if you bought out of market.

ahopkins22LSV
10 hours ago, Horns1 said:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. One other question- can a “ out of region dealer” sell 2023 close outs since they are 2023?  Dealer by me doesn’t have many left, but I’ve seen others ( Tommy’s, that has quite a few).  To answer some questions - this would be for Lake Travis outside of Austin.  

I think it depends on how long they have had it if it is going to another dealership. If it is Tommy’s to Tommy’s, yes they should be able to transfer the boat. 

You've been given some great advice here.  I think it's worth considering that must haves for some are vastly different than others and it's largely predicated on how you use the boat.  Our boat lives on a hoist and docking lights for us are a must have for pulling into the hoist at night.  It's something we simply won't live without and have had on all of our boats.   The same is true for a heater.  We're out early AM and late evening and the heater is simply wonderful to have.  We also have heated seats.  Won't live without that either.  We could, but don't want to.  Underwater lights are not necessary, but are super cool and we use them regularly.  3 pair of pull up cleats is also a requirement for us for when we travel with the boat and need to tie up to docks, or when we're rafting up with others on our home lake.  We can live without the flip down backrest seat steps and the better half says no fold down swim step until we turn 60, so that's out for us.  We like the wakeview bench and it gets used often in our current boat.  We didn't use it much in our 23LSV due to the space it consumes so in a 23 I'd skip it.  That's my $.02 FWIW.  Best of luck to you in your pursuit.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Horns1 said:

To answer some questions - this would be for Lake Travis outside of Austin.  

Love Lake Travis.  We used to live in Dallas and would tow our boat down there several times a summer.  Such a neat lake (when it has water in it, LOL).  

Good luck in your search!

dizzygti

Not sure how accurate this is....

https://seedealercost.com/

I live in Georgia, and heaters were a requirement for us, as our "season" doesn't really end.    January was the only month we didn't surf this past winter.   

this is strait from the owners manual for my boat.

Warranty Transfer

• The boat, engine and trailer (herein called the “boat package”) may be transferred from the original owner to a second private owner within the first five years of the original date of purchase to the second owner only. The boat package is not eligible to be transferred to a third owner for purpose of warranty coverage.

• The boat package may transfer within the first five years of ownership from the date of purchase. After five years from the date of original purchase, a warranty transfer is no longer eligible.

• The boat package must be fully inspected by an authorized Malibu dealer. The dealer will complete a warranty transfer specific to that boat package. The transfer must be signed by the second private owner. The transfer forms are available through the dealership only.

• Consumer payment must be made to the dealer directly in the amount of $750.00. Payment cannot be made directly to Malibu Boats LLC. The dealer will complete the warranty transfer process on behalf of the seller and buyer.

14 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

Consumer payment must be made to the dealer directly in the amount of $750.00.

And the dealer may charge an inspection and transfer fee also, so you might expect the cost to be a few hundred higher.

Anyone have a general idea on the cost per mile of shipping a boat?  Found a boat we might be interested in, but its a couple states away.. How would you go about checking out the boat?  

5 hours ago, Horns1 said:

Anyone have a general idea on the cost per mile of shipping a boat?  Found a boat we might be interested in, but its a couple states away.. How would you go about checking out the boat?  

If it were me and within 8-10 hrs. I would drive to check it. 

had a friend decide he was going to drive from the Central Valley to Texas for an 24MXZ, and he was glad he did. I think he was 22 hrs 1 way.  He almost left and drove home. Let’s just say it was not as described. The dealer ended up sending him to dinner and working on the boat all night and making it right.  I think it’s been 3 yrs and the brown texas mud is  still noticeable on the Bimini 😳😳

Edited by Sparky450

Focus on the options you can’t add (or very hard/expensive) when shopping for boats. Like the flip down platform and wakeview seat. Those are probably the two hardest (beside motor). Speakers, lights, cleats, racks, etc can all be added or swapped for relatively the same price as if it were ordered with it and very easy add ons. Sometimes better options than factory.

Id take a look at Tommy’s inventory. They’re making deals on any Malibu in stock as they lost their dealer agreement so territory isn’t an issue for them anymore. Should have plenty of 23 LSV’s, 2023-2024 available throughout the country.

shipping can be anywhere from $1-2.50/m. You usually get what you pay for so be careful. Make sure you have insurance first and that the shipper is licensed and insured. UShip is a great option for this and commonly used. 

Guess, this could go on the Tommy’s thread, but so far they are terrible about following up.  Trying to get prices & build sheets on a few in Dallas & Ft Worth.  

20 minutes ago, Horns1 said:

Guess, this could go on the Tommy’s thread, but so far they are terrible about following up.  Trying to get prices & build sheets on a few in Dallas & Ft Worth.  

It may be that legal counsel told them to hang tight until the receiver hearing is held.  If there are "discrepancies", Tommy's won't want to add additional fuel to the fire. 

I was able to get a quote from Tommy's on a 2024 23 LSV.  Looks just over 30% off MSRP plus shipping.  Guessing they'll ship anywhere, but who knows what would happen as far as dealer prep and etc.  They still have a lot of 2023's for sale too, I wonder how aggressively they would price those.

I’ve been trying to get a build sheet and price on  some 2023s from them with no luck so far.  Someone texted me back, but never responded with any information or details.  

6 hours ago, Sixer said:

I was able to get a quote from Tommy's on a 2024 23 LSV.  Looks just over 30% off MSRP plus shipping.  Guessing they'll ship anywhere, but who knows what would happen as far as dealer prep and etc.  They still have a lot of 2023's for sale too, I wonder how aggressively they would price those.

In my market. On a Malibu 30% is a good discount. I would think clearance hot sale would be better. 

Edited by Sparky450