Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 vs 2001 sunsetter lxi

NewLakeLifer

Where are you located in IL?  I’m not trying to sway your decision but I’m far west Chicago burbs and have a 2000 Supra for sale locally.  

To answer your questions, neither the gas sending unit nor the gauge are difficult to replace but you’ll need to get a sensor part number off it to match up (unless you feel like spending $$$ at a Malibu dealer).  SkiDim, Bakes, and Malibuparts are just some sources for those.

The wedge was designed to increase wake size.  Not necessarily needed for skiing or tubing. 

Radios can be installed, just pick your flavor and budget so to speak. Crutchfield is a good source there. 

1 hour ago, NewLakeLifer said:

Three more questions from me :) 

zoned in on a 2001 sslxi that looks really well cared for. Family boat that was used most weekends but kids are older now so last few years hasn’t gotten as much usage so they are changing to a cruising boat.

1) gas guage. Does anyone have any idea how difficult or expensive it should be to replace? It shows it’s full but at 3/4 tank drops to zero. Because of capacity and their usage it wasn’t an issue but it would be something I would want to replace I think. 

2) the wedge. Maybe this is a silly question… but in 2001 it was an option and this boat doesn’t have it. We are primarily looking to ski and tube but understand the wedge is for wakeboarding, etc. is that right?

3) radio. Like a car and can pop a new one in easy? The speakers work but radio doesn’t  

Thank you from the newbie. 

1. Can replace the sender with a more accurate version, though "accurate boat gas gauge" is an oxymoron

2. Was option, not necessary.  Helps a bit with resale, but other than that, for your use, non-factor.

3. Pretty easy to swap out if you've done it before.  I swapped the stereo in my dad's '01 a couple summers ago.  I had to fabricate a new mounting bracket, which was the most time-consuming part of the swap.

NewLakeLifer

That’s helpful. Thank you. None of it sounds like a deal breaker

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, NewLakeLifer said:

We bought a 2001 SSLXI! I appreciate all the help you guys provided. 

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Congratulations!

To directly post photos you need a paid subscription here. Well worth it !! Or, post the photos to a 3rd party, say imgur, then post a link to that url here. 

On 4/26/2024 at 10:25 PM, RTS said:

They just don't make boats that sexy anymore.

Malibu's heyday, in my opinion.

Congrats!

Agree. What's the attraction of slalom towboat pickleforks and triangles? Weird!