Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

That about covers it...

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach

Well, by the time we're done...

Are Malibu-specific covers available from various (or any) sites?  And if so, what am I likely to find as the material used?

Coming from a marine environment, where our (BIG - 10 feet beam x 15 feet length, 4 bows) bimini (the only 'canvas' area on our home, a Morgan 461 sailboat) lasted us well over 15 years (it was nearly, but not entirely, new, when we bought the boat in 2003, and in entirely serviceable, albeit getting thin in a few places, condition in 2022 when we sold her), having been virtually never without it up in every sort of weather, in Vero Beach for the vast majority of the time, so subject to LOTS of solar gain.  Hooray, Sunbrella!

So, if Factory or specific-to-a-boat-model covers were available in Sunbrella, I expect they'd be VERY expensive (it's expensive fabric), and overkill for the use it would get.  But if that's how it/they came, I'd pony it up.

Or, someone here no doubt knows where to buy boat-specific covers, and if they didn't know, certainly the vendor would, know, what material it was which was used.

Which leads me onto bimini covers.  Our expected boat is an 02 21' Sunscape LSV, and the expected tower either a Monster MT2 or a Titan (unlikely unless we get lucky).  The MT2's sister company, Westland, makes MT2 specific biminis in a 62" x 65" over-the-top version.  I have little concern for the quality of the build or fabric, as it's specific to the tower, and a same-owner care for reputation.  However, I came to value the entirety of the cockpit being covered, and also able to be enclosed (there were roll-up windows on front/back/sides, with fixed corners on the no-windshield cockpit).  I don't expect to be out in weather needing enclosure (if we're going to be in the water, getting wet isn't a big deal, and it will be warm enough or we'd not be out), but shade's a big deal (skin cancer concerns, many visits/extractions at the dermatologists') for the ladies married to both me and my son; accordingly, larger coverage than even some of the aftermarket 6.5' square versions might be considered.

Has anyone done that sort of thing in a V-drive (large, unencumbered cockpit), tower-d, boat?  Sun angles suggest that overhang fore and aft in particular, and to a lesser degree, to the sides of the top bow of the tower, would be prudent.  A 6.5' square would be better than a barely-5' not-square. (Edit: my son - the actual owner - isn't interested in forward cockpit coverage, but sun angles likely would make some extension beyond the windshield advisable.)

As always, I treasure the hive mind; we're getting closer to execution and my ducks are starting to look like the ones at the Peabody hotels ☺

(Two begs in one askit: boat specific cover source/s and oversized bimini experience with towers)

Edited by SkipGundlach
more info

Big fan of evolution covers. A few different fabric options and Corey is fantastic to work with. Lead time can vary so order as soon as you can. 

We bought our Bimini from towerbiminis and it was great as well. 

In '02, Malibu sourced their covers from Great Lakes Boat Tops in TN. Still have my Sunbrella cover.

SkipGundlach
12 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Big fan of evolution covers. 

clip...

They look absolutely on top of it.

Would you mind sharing your cost (well, it would be useful to know what your boat is and tower, if you have one...)?

If you’re looking for a Bimini extension for sun protection, get on board here with this shade.  

The big promo deal expires the 15th but Kevin is keeping a running discount for crew members.  

7 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

They look absolutely on top of it.

Would you mind sharing your cost (well, it would be useful to know what your boat is and tower, if you have one...)?

Boat was a 2008 vtx with illusion tower. 
Bought cover roughly 2013-14 so prices are likely very different now but I think it was around $1000 at that time. Went with the TN fabric which was considered an upgrade. Best cover I’ve ever owned, better to me than my Malibu oem  cover on my 18. 

I think my Bimini for that same boat from tower Bimini was about $800 that same year that I bought the cover. It was sunbrella and had a color matching strip in the middle. Fantastic and bought it because it was recommended on here as well. 

• Thanks 1
SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 8:31 PM, Steve B. said:

I've got a Titan III on an '02. I'll get you the measurements over the weekend.

Happy weekend, and Happy Easter tomorrow if you're so inclined!

Thanks for your assistance with gunwale beams!

Edited by SkipGundlach
SkipGundlach
12 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Sewlong custom covers for both cover and Bimini. Fully custom and good quality 

I think that UT might be a bit far afield for us in GA - but thanks for the recommendation!

Skip, they can build a cover with your tower measurements (once you have it installed).  They can also ship it to you. Sewlong is a good brand too. 

Evolution Is definitely the best boat covers I have seen.  That said, a few years back with my old boat I needed a cover but was planning on selling the boat soon so I didn’t want to spend the extra money on evolution.  I went with baldmikes and got an awesome sunbrella cover.  It’s really good quality, trailerable and I actually prefer its nylon rope connection system vs the rachet straps on the commercial sewing cover that came with my boat.  It was rolled up in the bow of my old boat during a marina fire which totaled my old boat (2014 23lsv).  Everything inside the boat burned, but the sunbrella cover came out almost unscathed.  There’s just one small quarter sized hole in it.  I kept it and still use it with my newer 2015 boat.  Mike was great to deal with when I bought the cover.  Very good communication.  When I purchased, he did give a TMC discount, however I have no idea if he continues to support TMC or not.  

SkipGundlach
1 hour ago, PNWoke said:

Evolution Is definitely the best boat covers I have seen.  That said, a few years back with my old boat I needed a cover but was planning on selling the boat soon so I didn’t want to spend the extra money on evolution.  I went with baldmikes and got an awesome sunbrella cover.  It’s really good quality, trailerable and I actually prefer its nylon rope connection system vs the rachet straps on the commercial sewing cover that came with my boat.  It was rolled up in the bow of my old boat during a marina fire which totaled my old boat (2014 23lsv).  Everything inside the boat burned, but the sunbrella cover came out almost unscathed.  There’s just one small quarter sized hole in it.  I kept it and still use it with my newer 2015 boat.  Mike was great to deal with when I bought the cover.  Very good communication.  When I purchased, he did give a TMC discount, however I have no idea if he continues to support TMC or not.  

Well, BaldMikes is encouraging, as it sells Westland's cover (the sister company to Monster), and BaldMikes represents them.  As I get closer, and if my son decides that a cover's a good investment for a 22 year old boat (the topsides glass suggests it wasn't covered / draped during its rack storage times, whereas the interior either has been redone, or it's evident that it wasn't sunstruck) with some chalking (might benefit from a very careful rubout), I'll ask my contact at Monster about whether or not TMC gets a 'deal' (and for that matter if a tower, bimini and cover combo cuts any ice).

However...

Westland's Sunbrella selections page, with all the options (vented support pole to avoid abrasion, cinch kit with pockets) comes in at $573 vs BaldMike's $783 (I expected a profit differential but not on that level), so it's not a good start toward a bargain from that source.  But from what I've gleaned from my chat with Steve @ Monster, I'm confident that if I went with a Westland cover I'd be happy with it.

But...

PNWoke said that Evolution's the best - how are they better than the Westland Sunbrella one you presumably got from BaldMikes?

And, earlier:

On 3/29/2024 at 11:22 AM, SkipGundlach said:

Well, by the time we're done...

Are Malibu-specific covers available from various (or any) sites?  And if so, what am I likely to find as the material used?

Coming from a marine environment, where our (BIG - 10 feet beam x 15 feet length, 4 bows) bimini (the only 'canvas' area on our home, a Morgan 461 sailboat) lasted us well over 15 years (it was nearly, but not entirely, new, when we bought the boat in 2003, and in entirely serviceable, albeit getting thin in a few places, condition in 2022 when we sold her), having been virtually never without it up in every sort of weather, in Vero Beach for the vast majority of the time, so subject to LOTS of solar gain.  Hooray, Sunbrella!

So, if Factory or specific-to-a-boat-model covers were available in Sunbrella, I expect they'd be VERY expensive (it's expensive fabric), and overkill for the use it would get.  But if that's how it/they came, I'd pony it up.

I'm apparently mistaken, as a full-optioned Sunbrella Westland cover for my boat is $573 shipped, far less than I'd expected.

Given this, I'm going to push my son to get the cover.  I'll ask Steve (CSR manager for the company) about something bigger than the Westland standard bimini, similar to something else I'd been working on: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292055736327 - has anyone used one of these?  There are also extensions for over the rear cockpit, though not full width, and thus not something I'd want, I don't think.  But this is intriguing, despite my niggles with security of mounting, and their assertion that it doesn't fit any of the Monster towers (looking at how it's fastened - front loop, rear arms - I can't see how the Monsters wouldn't work).  But the day is young, and there may well be other makers of similarly large bimini covers which could work; I note that it doesn't exclude Titan, and if anything a Monster tower should give more mount opportunities than a Titan...

3 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

PNWoke said that Evolution's the best - how are they better than the Westland Sunbrella one you presumably got from BaldMikes?

AFAIK Evolution uses the same sunbrella fabric as the Westland.  The main difference is in fit and finish.  The Westland is fit more like a “one size fits all” fit and finish.  There is a lot of extra fabric to accommodate the different tower options.  I would bet that my Westland cover would work on any 23lsv from 2008-current (and a lot of other 23 foot wake boats in that era).  The draw back is that it is looser fitting, and thus doesn’t shed water real well and can have some pooling after rain.  By contrast the evolution cover is truly a custom to your boat cover.  It fits your exact set up almost perfectly.  There is no extra fabric to create pooling.  When you put it on properly, it is very tight and good at shedding water.  It also is better for trailering because the tight form doesn’t flap around or need any extra securing like the Westland cover that really needs trailering straps added for freeway speeds.  The straps work really well for the Westland, but it is an added time consuming step to route the straps properly to the trailer to not rub on your paint, etc.  The only downside to evolution, other than the price difference and lead times, is that it is more tedious to install day in and day out.  The looser fit of the Westland is super speedy and easy to put on with just 1 person.  I have 2 buddys with evolution covers and they’re super happy with them but they have both been jealous of how fast I can deploy it.  Personally, I feel like the value of the evolution really goes up if you plan to do a fair amount of trailering especially at highway speeds.  

• Like 1
SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PNWoke said:

AFAIK Evolution uses the same sunbrella fabric as the Westland.  

(clip)

Personally, I feel like the value of the evolution really goes up if you plan to do a fair amount of trailering especially at highway speeds.  

Thanks for the clarification.  It's unlikely that we'll be moving the boat other than from ramp to fuel or to storage, and back, both quite close - and in between, in the dock...

Edited by SkipGundlach
3 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

Thanks for the clarification.  It's unlikely that we'll be moving the boat other than from ramp to fuel or to storage, and back, both quite close - in in between, in the dock...

Yeah that’s 90% of my situation too.  I keep my boat at the marina most of the summer, just pull it out to wash it and gas it up cheaper than the gas dock from time to time.  My dealer is 1.5 hours away, that’s the furthest I drive so the Westland has worked out great.  In the future if we start going on more longer trips or if I upgrade my boat I’ll consider upgrading to an evolution.