Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preseason Maintenance Best Practices

Hey Crew! As we are approaching the second season with our 2012 VTX, what are some of your recommendations for preseason setup and maintenance?

We winterized last fall and tried to clean best we could however the dealer took care of everything last spring, so definitely want to make sure the boat is ready to go as soon as we get some nice weather! The boat is currently stored inside with a trickle charger on the batteries with the cover on.

Some of the things on my list…

- Wash and Wax the hull (don’t think it needs a full buff, but definitely could use some more wax/sealant…recommendations appreciated!)

- wash the cover from all the barn dust and store again

- clean and wipe down interior

- run on the fakealake to get antifreeze out and check for leaks etc

- check wedge/electronics

- polish chrome/tower

- check trailer brake fluid, tire pressures, grease hubs

- fill with gear 😊

• Change the oil
  • Clean the bilge
  • Test the bilge pumps
  • Inspect raw water intake and exhaust hoses, test clamps for tightness
  • Inspect all fuel hoses, test clamps for tightness
  • Spray the engine, transmission, etc. (including mounts) with light spray oil
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, justgary said:
  • Change the oil
  • Clean the bilge
  • Test the bilge pumps
  • Inspect raw water intake and exhaust hoses, test clamps for tightness
  • Inspect all fuel hoses, test clamps for tightness
  • Spray the engine, transmission, etc. (including mounts) with light spray oil

Thank you for this! If we changed oil in the fall do you recommend doing again? We did not do an impeller at the time so maybe that’s something to consider as well?

Any recommendations for light oil spray?

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, SkiWhiz70 said:

Thank you for this! If we changed oil in the fall do you recommend doing again? We did not do an impeller at the time so maybe that’s something to consider as well?

I have always just done the oil change at the hour interval not season end/start. Others are different, but if you aren't at the hour interval I'd leave it and just double check after the first outing.

24 minutes ago, SkiWhiz70 said:

If we changed oil in the fall do you recommend doing again? We did not do an impeller at the time so maybe that’s something to consider as well?

No.  Change oil annually (once) or every 30 to 50 hours whichever is sooner.  It is good to change before you put it up for the winter and no need to change again just because it sat over the winter, IMO.  

Yes.  If the impeller looks worn at all change it.  My book (PCM) recommends new impeller with each oil change but I think that's excessive (my opinion).  I used to go every two years or when worn, now I pull it over the winter and replace in the spring annually.   Impellers can go a long time or burn up the first time you turn the key if there's no water in the chamber so they are a little random.  I always carry a spare.  

Check / tighten every screw or nut and bolt you can reach. Tower mount, Prop shaft coupler bolts and engine / transmission mount bolts especially. Betting something will be loose if they were not checked annually.

• Like 2

My summerization routine with my 2012 vtx.

Remove cover

Unplug charger

Check tire pressure

Dump it in water and use it.

Fwiw, if I remove the impeller I replace it.  Every 3 years or so.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, SkiWhiz70 said:

What they said about engine oil.  I was mostly just reminding you to check it.  Some people change it annually.  I go by engine hours.

I don't remember the last time I changed my impeller.  I'm sure it is time.

Any can of light oil.  I currently use P'wer B'laster (PB Blaster) because I have it.  Coat everything except the belts and pulleys.  You can wash the engine first if it is nasty and let it dry, then shoot it with oil.  Washing consists mainly of a good stream of water on it while it is running.  Don't soak the alternator and don't shoot water into the intake.  Everything else is fair game.

9 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Check / tighten every screw or nut and bolt you can reach. Tower mount, Prop shaft coupler bolts and engine / transmission mount bolts especially. Betting something will be loose if they were not checked annually.

This is some good insight as well! Will add to my list!

8 hours ago, justgary said:

What they said about engine oil.  I was mostly just reminding you to check it.  Some people change it annually.  I go by engine hours.

I don't remember the last time I changed my impeller.  I'm sure it is time.

Any can of light oil.  I currently use P'wer B'laster (PB Blaster) because I have it.  Coat everything except the belts and pulleys.  You can wash the engine first if it is nasty and let it dry, then shoot it with oil.  Washing consists mainly of a good stream of water on it while it is running.  Don't soak the alternator and don't shoot water into the intake.  Everything else is fair game.

Noted and added on my list! All these recommendations sound like a good opportunity for someone to make a YouTube video on preseason checklist items hahaha

I retorque intake plenum and exhaust manifolds to spec every 5 years or so.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:14 AM, SkiWhiz70 said:

The boat is currently stored inside with a trickle charger on the batteries with the cover on.

Depending on the type of Batteries you have ( Lead acid or AGM ) will  depend on your charging method.  Do a web search into winter boat storage and see what applies to your situation. I have always removed the batteries from the boat for winter storage. I started this when I had lead acid batteries and continue this practice with the new AGM.  removing them gives you a chance to visually inspect the case for cracks and leaks. Store and charge in a place that is not exposed to freezing temps.   

I

On 3/25/2024 at 8:15 AM, electricjohn said:

Is there a particular or specific routine on this? 

6 hours ago, SkiWhiz70 said:

Is there a particular or specific routine on this? 

There is a pattern of the bolt tightening sequence you should follow.

Edited by electricjohn
On 3/25/2024 at 7:15 AM, electricjohn said:

That kinda happens for me since you have to remove it to change the cap and rotor:)

Should we start a thread (sticky) this summer; "Post a picture of your engine room"?

Edited by electricjohn
formulaben
On 4/1/2024 at 7:23 AM, electricjohn said:

Should we start a thread (sticky) this summer; "Post a picture of your engine room"?

homer_lurking.gif