Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gm 3.0 duramax deisel review

redrooster

6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That is crazy looking - is the factory F150 hitch not removable?

image.png.15de718e4a30aea058a6e50161eef6cd.png

image.png.02705f5fd3644aadc8cda3b6f5cfb171.png

Apparently the hitch is integrated with the bumper, so you have to remove the bumper and put in the blank plate that comes with trucks without a hitch in order to mount a class v hitch to replace the stocker.  

24 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

So just replace the OEM class IV hitch with an upgraded class IV hitch?   

OEM is a class 3 (on an F150) That is why the rating is so low. (Or they just make a really crappy class 4)

Edited by oldjeep

Is the factory hitch really the limiting factor? It’s likely rated for the same as what you’d swap for but it’s taking into consideration other factors from the manufacturer. They want you to use a WDH for a certain weight for a reason not because they cheaped out on the hitch.

2 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Is the factory hitch really the limiting factor? It’s likely rated for the same as what you’d swap for but it’s taking into consideration other factors from the manufacturer. They want you to use a WDH for a certain weight for a reason not because they cheaped out on the hitch.

Could be.  Towing threads are always a funny thing.  Typically by the time you get done debating the capacity of the frame mounted receiver you find out that the people are using receivers and balls rated for 5K ;)

dizzygti
34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

OEM is a class 3 (on an F150) That is why the rating is so low. (Or they just make a really crappy class 4)

Window sticker that came with the truck and this link reference the OEM hitch as class IV.   

27 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Could be.  Towing threads are always a funny thing.  Typically by the time you get done debating the capacity of the frame mounted receiver you find out that the people are using receivers and balls rated for 5K ;)

Correct!  

Edited by dizzygti

I suspect at least one factor limiting the carry rating on the hitch (without a WDH) isn't the strength of the hitch but the weight that's getting pulled off the front tires.  But I don't know this for a fact.  Anyway, I hope you find a solution that works for you.  

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

That is crazy looking - is the factory F150 hitch not removable?

image.png.15de718e4a30aea058a6e50161eef6cd.png

image.png.02705f5fd3644aadc8cda3b6f5cfb171.png

I don't know what that is.  I just looked at my 2020 F150 and the hitch is bolted on.

Little bit back on topic but we got the older 3.0 late December in a 23 HC Suburban and love it. Got 26MPG on our first 1400mi round trip road trip. Initially we were waiting for the mid gen refresh with the newer diesel but things came up and we needed a newer vehicle sooner than anticipated.

• Like 2