Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gm 3.0 duramax deisel review

redrooster

35 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Don't get passed ;) 

Never ever happens unless I'm towing the camper. Then I can be doing 70 in a 55 but people still have the "I can't be behind a camper" thing. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the new ride. How long is the build time currently?

Did you get the hands free adaptive cruise?  I’d really like that. 

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, RyanB said:

Congrats on the new ride. How long is the build time currently?

Did you get the hands free adaptive cruise?  I’d really like that. 

Thank you!! 8-10 weeks they said. Although I have a few friends at GM that said it could turn into less..

And no, that is only available on the Denali Ultimate I believe. Way out of my price range. 

Edit: for kicks I just checked. Can’t get the Denali ultimate in the standard bed, has to be short bed. Super cruise isn’t standard, $2,200 option. Total msrp for one is $85,690 :lol: with just the super cruise added, no other options. There are barely any options available on it but you could still rack up another 2-3k.

14 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Sorry I have hijacked this thread to a degree, but order is in!

Elevation crew cab standard 6.6' bed
3.0 Duramax - 10spd w/ electronic precision shift & front bucket seats
Onyx black
Max tow package w/ 3.73 rear end
Elevation preferred packet to get Bose, rear sliding window, adaptive cruise, rear wheelhouse liners, trailing app
Tow mirrors, spray in bed liner, all terrain tires, and trailer tire sensor kit are the only other options I added.

I didn't get all of the fancy sensors and cameras but the base level trailering package and app will still allow integration of the trailer tires to see live pressure and weight. Plus diagnostics on lights, brakes etc. My wife and I plan to keep this truck for 10+ years and honestly we didn't want to risk having to replace cameras years down the road. The tech is awesome, no doubt, but mirrors haven't failed me yet and the tow mirrors will make that even better.

Congratulations.  However, I’ll take the under that you’ll have the truck 10 years from now :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Thank you!! 8-10 weeks they said. Although I have a few friends at GM that said it could turn into less..

And no, that is only available on the Denali Ultimate I believe. Way out of my price range. 

Edit: for kicks I just checked. Can’t get the Denali ultimate in the standard bed, has to be short bed. Super cruise isn’t standard, $2,200 option. Total msrp for one is $85,690 :lol: with just the super cruise added, no other options. There are barely any options available on it but you could still rack up another 2-3k.

That's more than I paid for my Super Duty Tremor......by $10k!

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

That's more than I paid for my Super Duty Tremor......by $10k!

I know pricing is insanity across the board now. I could have built a 2500 with the 6.6l gas engine for the same msrp as the 1500 I just ordered that would be optioned the same other than the engine. However for everything I do other then the two boat trips up north a year, the 1500 still suits me better. Nor do I think I’d be able to back the boat into my driveway with a HD with how my neighbors park in the street. 

dizzygti
19 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If you are towing a 25ft boat with a half ton and no load distribution - you are overloaded.

Based on what?   

21 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Depends how heavy of a boat. When you get into the larger boats tongue weight increases a lot. Tow a M240, G25, 25ZX, Ri, sized boats and regardless of leveling kit you need bags to not squat a half ton.  

I know my 25 ft'r is "light" compared to some of these beasts, and no I haven't weighed it,  but mine sits level on my half ton.  

Screenshot_20240315_131302_Gallery.jpg

Edited by dizzygti
22 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Based on what?   

I know my 25 ft'r is "light" compared to some of these beasts, and no I haven't weighed it,  but mine sits level on my half ton.  

Screenshot_20240315_131302_Gallery.jpg

Based on what the tongue weight should be on a load like that.  I can tell by looking at the front tires on that trailer that your hitch is too low and the trailer suspension is trying to compensate.  (or your front trailer tire need air)

Edited by oldjeep
dizzygti
14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Based on what the tongue weight should be on a load like that.  I can tell by looking at the front tires on that trailer that your hitch is too low and the trailer suspension is trying to compensate.  (or your front trailer tire need air)

Getting off topic here again....but that picture is old and I think that tire was low on air.   That said, the level indicator on the trailer is dead level.   F150's have a huge rake with stock suspension, and with the trailer attached it is close to level.  Truck has cargo rating of 1715lbs and tow rating of 11,200 lbs.   According to this, I'm a supercharger, an axle, and a spare tire lighter than that boat.   I can't believe mine would be over 7700ish lbs.   So what "should" my tongue weight be?   

3 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Getting off topic here again....but that picture is old and I think that tire was low on air.   That said, the level indicator on the trailer is dead level.   F150's have a huge rake with stock suspension, and with the trailer attached it is close to level.  Truck has cargo rating of 1715lbs and tow rating of 11,200 lbs.   According to this, I'm a supercharger, an axle, and a spare tire lighter than that boat.   I can't believe mine would be over 7700ish lbs.   So what "should" my tongue weight be?   

With a total weight of 7700 on a twin axle trailer between 770 - 1155lbs

Max tongue weight is determined by your hitch, not your cargo rating.  Although you should not exceed your cargo rating either. 

As an example, my 6000lb(ish) load (20FT 2012 malibu VTX on trailer) - my tongue weight is 725 lbs (measured)

Edited by oldjeep

Side note, if the tongue weight pulls too much weight off the front tires, this impacts steering and breaking and es no bueno.   In contrast, if there is not enough weight to meet the 10% minimum gross weight of the trailer, then you start risking trailer instability, i.e, the wig wags, which also es no bueno.  

37 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Side note, if the tongue weight pulls too much weight off the front tires, this impacts steering and breaking and es no bueno.   In contrast, if there is not enough weight to meet the 10% minimum gross weight of the trailer, then you start risking trailer instability, i.e, the wig wags, which also es no bueno.  

Yup and the only easy way to fix that 2nd issue on most boat trailers is to put a spare or 2 on the tongue ;)  After having the trailer self steering issue a couple times with one of my car trailers, I am super sensitive to kind of knowing what proper tongue weight "looks like" in terms of my trucks squat and what the suspension and tires look like on the trailer.

Edited by oldjeep

A lot of these smaller boats don’t have enough tongue weight. A 25’ boat on a triple axle tows better than a 23’ on a triple for this exact reason. I was moving a smaller boat on a triple with a forklift once and the hitch actually came off the ball and just floated a few feet off the ground. 

25 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

A lot of these smaller boats don’t have enough tongue weight. A 25’ boat on a triple axle tows better than a 23’ on a triple for this exact reason. I was moving a smaller boat on a triple with a forklift once and the hitch actually came off the ball and just floated a few feet off the ground. 

triple axle trailers are goofy things from a suspension balance perspective.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Yup and the only easy way to fix that 2nd issue on most boat trailers is to put a spare or 2 on the tongue

Or a couple hundred pounds of lead in the bow.

2 hours ago, dizzygti said:

I can't believe mine would be over 7700ish lbs. 

You might be surprised.  My 10 year old 23LSV is right at 7000 pounds with trailer, 300 pounds of lead and a full fuel tank.  The T250 is quite a bit bigger than my old boat.

dizzygti
52 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Or a couple hundred pounds of lead in the bow.

You might be surprised.  My 10 year old 23LSV is right at 7000 pounds with trailer, 300 pounds of lead and a full fuel tank.  The T250 is quite a bit bigger than my old boat.

That's a problem also.  I haven't put lead in the bow YET.   And I'm just going off the other guys T250 on a triple axle trailer, with a spare and the LT4 weight difference over the M6.  I posted the link above to his thread where he weighed it with gas tank full. 

23 hours ago, dizzygti said:

Based on what?   

I know another T250 on a triple axle trailer out here scaled out at well over 9k pounds.  guessing you're in the 8500+ range there at minimum. 

Edit:  I definitely noticed a change in tongue weight after adding all the cargo in our T220 and boost bags in the bow.  It is not light on the hitch by any means. 

Edited by rennis
On 3/16/2024 at 10:33 AM, UWSkier said:

Crawl under your truck and look at the sticker on the hitch.  It probably looks like this, as this is what's on most F-150s.

You and pretty much everyone on this site with a wake boat and F150 are overloading your hitches.  500 lbs is the max tongue weight on these trucks without WDH, which really makes max towing capacity closer to 5000 lbs assuming proper trailer loading.

Then of course, there's payload and GVWR, RAWR, etc.

Correct on all points.  These boats ride a lot better down the highway than a similar weight travel trailer, for example, so you don't Feel the overloading under tow.  Going over whoops in the highway our travel trailer, with WDH, transfers a lot more weight onto the hitch than the boat ever does, but weighs quite a bit less.  Moment loads were unsettling at times with the TT and a lot of cargo for a long camping weekend with my F150. 

This is where the HD truck wins the argument again because it's designed to have much more tongue weight and allows for additional cargo in the cab/bed.  

• Like 2

I assume that they make a decently rated Class 4 for an F150 that could easily be swapped on.  One of the reasons for the Ram ratings is that their hitches have always had a center mount to the rear frame where the 5000lb rated bumper mount hitch is - in addition to the normal frame rail mounting points.  The factory class 4 on my 2018 is rated at 10,000lbs/1100lbs tongue weight non weight distributing.  Never had anything near that heavy attached to it though.

Edited by oldjeep
dizzygti
On 3/16/2024 at 1:33 PM, UWSkier said:

You and pretty much everyone on this site with a wake boat and F150 are overloading your hitches. 

Yeah, took me a while to find it actually documented, since you don't get a paper owner's manual anymore, it's not spelled out on the door jamb stickers, or on the window sticker.   However, I went and bought the Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch this weekend.   So far in 10 months, the boat hasn't gone further than the dealer, my house, or the in law's dock, and I haven't installed/towed with it yet, but the WD hitch makes me more confident to tow the boat to Lake Martin, the lake I grew up on (~3 hours away).   

10 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Yeah, took me a while to find it actually documented, since you don't get a paper owner's manual anymore, it's not spelled out on the door jamb stickers, or on the window sticker.   However, I went and bought the Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch this weekend.   So far in 10 months, the boat hasn't gone further than the dealer, my house, or the in law's dock, and I haven't installed/towed with it yet, but the WD hitch makes me more confident to tow the boat to Lake Martin, the lake I grew up on (~3 hours away).   

A WD hitch that works with surge brakes I hope?  Personally I would go with a class 4/5 hitch unless the load is squatting your truck too much.  WD hitches on boats are a pain, especially on the ramp.  Make sure to detach the rods or chains before launching.

Edited by oldjeep
dizzygti
12 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

A WD hitch that works with surge brakes I hope?  Personally I would go with a class 4/5 hitch unless the load is squatting your truck too much.  WD hitches on boats are a pain, especially on the ramp.  Make sure to detach the rods or chains before launching.

And.....now to return it.   :Frustrated: