Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gm 3.0 duramax deisel review

redrooster

On 3/9/2024 at 11:27 AM, Pnwrider said:

Everything now has electronic e brake. The one in my gmc worked fine and I never had an issue with (always released as soon as I touched the gas pedal). I can’t stand the one in my new Subaru though. It’s got a mind of its own and doesn’t release half the time it should. 
Regarding the short bed, get the 6.75’ bed instead of the 5.5’. Add a larger fuel tank too. That’s was my biggest complaint on my AT4. Tiny fuel tank. 

After going from the 5.5ft to 6.5ft bed on my Ram, I would never go back.  6.5 with gate down is perfect size for sheet goods and skis fit in the bed straight in rather than having to go diagonal.  The big 32 gal fuel tank is another plus since it extends range to 640ish miles freeway unloaded.  I will say that if I had the option I would have gone with the 3.21 gears that my previous truck had rather than the 3.92.  Living in a flat area and not towing anywhere with hills, the gears make 0 difference in feel with the boat and suck mpg on the freeway.

In terms of the 3.0 vs 5.3 vs 6.2 on a GM.  Tough choice between the 3.0 and 6.2 since the 6.2 needs premium.  I'd still bias towards the 6.2 being a flatlander and not wanting to deal with the DEF or diesel fuel.  Not that you are looking, but I am still a no way on the little turbo engines.  Truck sits outside year round and turbos are not long for the world if you are a start up and go driver.  Anyone in the neighborhood who had a turbo F150 either switched to a 5.0 or mostly bought a Ram 5.7 or bigger.

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Do you know what rear axle ratio the Tahoe had? I assume it had the 10spd transmission as well?

I don't.  it was a 2022 RST for whatever that is worth 

redrooster
Posted (edited)

This engine is the lm2.  Maybe rennis was towing with the older version?   Maybe they tweaked the tranny too? 

False - this is the lz0

The new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine replaces the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered for the 2022 model year. The new engine is rated at 305 horsepower and 495 pound-feet of torque, a 10-percent increase in power and a 7.6-percent increase in torque compared to the 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque produced by the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered previously.

Edited by redrooster
redrooster

Now we are getting somewh where.  

Critically, GM offers the 3.0L I6 LM2 turbodiesel Duramax under the hood of its full-size SUVs, including the 2023 Chevy Tahoe, 2023 Chevy Suburban, 2023 GMC Yukon, and 2023 Cadillac Escalade. According to GM Authority sources, these four models will not offer the new 3.0L I6 LZ0 turbodiesel Duramax engine. That said, the LZ0 is expected to be available with GM’s full-sizers for the 2024 model year.

I've towed slightly over 7k with the newer 3.0L and I thought it did just fine.  Not a speed demon but it held freeway speeds without surging or gear hunting, it stayed cool, and did not seem overly taxed.  I did not take this weight over a pass however.  I would also not tow much more than that in a half ton regardless of engine so there's that.  I continue to believe for the bigger boats you want an HD truck.  

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Well luckily for me we don’t have the mountain passes you guys have out west and I don’t see us going bigger than 22LSV. We are at our length limit in storage and in our driveway.

• Like 2
redrooster

I think gm should make a 6.0 dirty max and get rid of the v8.  

Also coil spring front and rear HD. 

Perfect truck. 

HollywoodBall

I've got a '21 GMC Elevation and have been pretty happy with it.  It towed my old 97 Air Nautique like it was nothing.  I notice the 22 MXZ behind it but it does well enough to not blow my wad on a new 3/4 ton, as nice as that would be.  I am adding 5K Airlift airbags next month before my return trip home with the boat from SC, so we'll see how that does.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
48 minutes ago, HollywoodBall said:

I've got a '21 GMC Elevation and have been pretty happy with it.  It towed my old 97 Air Nautique like it was nothing.  I notice the 22 MXZ behind it but it does well enough to not blow my wad on a new 3/4 ton, as nice as that would be.  I am adding 5K Airlift airbags next month before my return trip home with the boat from SC, so we'll see how that does.  

I ordered an elevation too. Do you have max tow or standard suspension?

HollywoodBall
18 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

I ordered an elevation too. Do you have max tow or standard suspension?

Standard.  Mine was bought with about 21K on it.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HollywoodBall said:

Those 5K airlift bags are probably overkill.  I was advised against 5Ks on my F150 and was glad I listened.  I installed the ride control 2ks and they did a great job of leveling the truck when I had a heavier trailer or cargo in the bed (or both.)  They only needed about 40psi to help with the boat and improved the ride a lot.  I kept about 20psi in them when empty for ride quality and because I had a canopy on the F150.  And are stupidly easy to install. 

This assumes they are available for your truck of course. 

Edited by rennis
  • Like 2
HollywoodBall
15 hours ago, rennis said:

Those 5K airlift bags are probably overkill.  I was advised against 5Ks on my F150 and was glad I listened.  I installed the ride control 2ks and they did a great job of leveling the truck when I had a heavier trailer or cargo in the bed (or both.)  They only needed about 40psi to help with the boat and improved the ride a lot.  I kept about 20psi in them when empty for ride quality and because I had a canopy on the F150.  And are stupidly easy to install. 

This assumes they are available for your truck of course. 

Thanks.  I looked into it and it doesn't come up as an available kit for my make/model on the Air Lift site.

For folks adding bags to their half ton - had you also lifted the front end, and that is why you needed the bags so the truck didn't look like it was dragging tail when loaded?  Never had a half ton (even the ford) that needed supplemental suspension when loaded within weight specs.

Edited by oldjeep
4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

For folks adding bags to their half ton - had you also lifted the front end, and that is why you needed the bags so the truck didn't look like it was dragging tail when loaded?  Never had a half ton (even the ford) that needed supplemental suspension when loaded within weight specs.

Mine was leveled, 1.75" front leveling kit. 

Depends how heavy of a boat. When you get into the larger boats tongue weight increases a lot. Tow a M240, G25, 25ZX, Ri, sized boats and regardless of leveling kit you need bags to not squat a half ton.  

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I’m considering adding bags to my Expedition.  It sags enough with my LSV that the lights are too high and I constantly have oncoming traffic flash their lights at me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I’m considering adding bags to my Expedition.  It sags enough with my LSV that the lights are too high and I constantly have oncoming traffic flash their lights at me.

SUV are a different story.  The typically come pretty level.  

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Depends how heavy of a boat. When you get into the larger boats tongue weight increases a lot. Tow a M240, G25, 25ZX, Ri, sized boats and regardless of leveling kit you need bags to not squat a half ton.  

I'd disagree unless you are exceeding max tongue weight on a class 4.  If you are towing a 25ft boat with a half ton and no load distribution - you are overloaded.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
redrooster

Keep us posted on performance.  I want that exact setup!!!

its weird they dont come with rear wheel liners. 

ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, redrooster said:

Keep us posted on performance.  I want that exact setup!!!

its weird they dont come with rear wheel liners. 

They used to stock on the elevation... Just another way to push you into a package with other stuff I guess. I really don't like being shoehorned into packages. This time it pretty much worked out to get get everything I wanted on the truck.

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

The tow mirrors and the adaptive cruise are both great options.  

The adaptive cruise is nice until someone passes you but you are not the one holding up traffic.  It's AGGRESSIVE with the brakes.  I usually leave it off.

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

The adaptive cruise is nice until someone passes you but you are not the one holding up traffic.  It's AGGRESSIVE with the brakes.  I usually leave it off.

Don't get passed ;) 

• Like 3