Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I have a 1998 Sunsetter LX with a manual wedge.  The foil broke a couple years ago so I had it welded back together.    It broke again the other day at the hole where the pin goes thru to hold it in place up or down.   At this point I think there may be a fair amount of metal fatigue so I'm reluctant to have it welded again.    When it does break the water pressure forces it up and I know bending like this is not good for the strength of aluminum.

Any ideas?   

Anyone aware of a Malibu boneyard (junk yard) where I might be able to get the foil as the mounting seems to continue to be in good shape.    

Any chance of getting a replacement foil or full wedge assembly from Malibu?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JasonK said:

Or get:

Manual Wedge Foil - Stainless

$1,032.00

interested, but it does not appear to fit my boat.  Mine would have two cross members.   One serves to lock the wedge up and the other serves to lock the wedge down. The one for sale has one cross member and the boat fitment says nope. 

I had a '04 23LSV back in the day that kept doing what you pictured. It even came apart once and I had to bend one of the arms back to a usefull shape. I got in the habit of checking those screws with an impact driver every few times we went out. Finally bought a floating wedge and put it on to solve the issue.

Keeping the screws tight would be a great way to distribute the stress on the heads.  I would also consider adding a third screw between the two.

I have the same wedge, but it hasn't given me any trouble lying in the pile next to my shop.  I took it off because I don't use it, and it is just extra weight.