Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 RLXI Windshield Issue

FL Long Ball

I test drove an 07 RLxi the other day, and it was fantastic behind the wheel. It went like a bat out of hell and handled like a sports car. But that's expected. Now, if the windshield would have exploded during the power turns, that would have been a good story.

Some time ago I used to crew for my dad racing sailboats on the puget sound. Once, on a fairly clear day, we had a spinnaker explode when a surprise squal came up and I couldn't get to the axe in time. We were in a prototype fixed keel aquaruius 26 set up for racing from the factory. The Haliyard got stuck in a cleat (probably a design or part defect, maybe pilot error, who knows) and we couldn't get the spinnaker down. The whole front end of the boat was under water when it blew. It sounded like a cannon went off. Confetti everywhere. Scary as hell. Anyway, we kept the boat, because it had a fantastic hull and went like a bat out of hell. We just bought a new spinnaker, and replaced the cleats with some better ones, in slightly different locations.

My guess is Malibu will get it right soon, replace a few parts, and only a few lucky ones will have a great story. If you are on the leading edge, there will always be a few kinks that need working out, especially when you are on the water. Obviously, next year will be safer, but you will also be a year older.

I don't think the windshield will be a major issue. I believe Doug said he bought his 1998 RLX used---First model year for the new technology of Kaiser Medallion gauges...quite a few issues with that setup, unless the dealer was trying to make me feel good by saying "a lot of problems with those gauges so far," as I was installing my 3rd MDC and watching them fog up. Wouldn't play a big role in resale these days for a 1998, not sure about when Doug bought his boat.

Staying away from the first model year of new technology seems that it would be rather difficult with Malibu, as they are usually introducing something new across the board each year (I haven't researched the new technologies to argue specifics, rather it "seems" they introduce something new every year.) I guess the only way around that would be to buy a "few model years old" used boat that "hopefully" has the bugs worked out...hopefully because the warranty is done.

As for the 1998 Mastercraft, I really believe if one is aware of the issues that boat has, one would stay away from it. I spent quite a bit of time in a 1998 Prostar 190 that belonged to my friend and quite frankly it sucked as a three event boat. Bow rise was unbelievable (couldn't see the slalom course to line up as it was coming out of the hole) among the many other issues.

I understand Ryan's thoughts and concerns. I may be one of the 10% that moves on for the next year as well. IMO when you drop the cash on a boat, I would like to be certain on its reliability. At the same time a purchase is voluntary not compulsory. So if there is any concern, it's the buyer's choice to have the patience to wait until they are comfortable. For me, patience is more important than guessing which version will be the final version in advance. For others, the choice may be to accept the possibility of revisions knowing that Malibu will stand behind it. I live in a colder climate and having my boat off the water for any time in service is not worth the risk during open water time. In our market, your boat may be out of commission for more that a week to try and get in and get fixed with all the other people that have problems during the busy season. If my windshield broke like the promo at a ski school this year, then it's not worth the risk to me. Also, you know that the engine will have a few diagnostic resets with the converter this year too. Someone else can take the risk and that's good for them because they will be happy with it. Just not for me yet.

In the thread where I took some grief re expressing my hesitation about 1st year of new technology, I also mentioned the introduction of the Cat converters. Again, this is not a field proven improvement. There's no way Indmar or Mailbu will have simulated all the various field conditions that exist in the consumer world..... so, we really don't know if all the new stuff works flawlessly yet. Kudo's to Malibu/Indmar for taking the leaership to introduce this stuff.... but as an individual consumer, I don't want to have my boat in the shop for any length of time while a field recall is done. As I said, if others are willing to tradeoff "1st on the block with the new technology vs the risk of shop-downtime.... then I also thank them for helping Malibu get it nailed. But as for me..... if I could afford to wait (ie: if I currently had a boat that was working just fine)..... I would wait.

This is not a slam against Malibu. This is a precaution against reducing the odds of having my new boat tied up in shop, and/or living with technology that is likley to get improvements in year 2.

On an aside, don't forget what happened to OMC when they did their direct fuel injection product testing on the consumers. They went bankrupt and were bought by Bombardier in CAN. Sad state of affairs for a company that once dominated the outboard marine market. Not that Malibu is going bankrupt, but it seems as though they are risking some market share by being out first. Whether it works or not is yet to be seen, but a bold business decision none-the-less.

I don't think the windshield will be a major issue. I believe Doug said he bought his 1998 RLX used---First model year for the new technology of Kaiser Medallion gauges...quite a few issues with that setup, unless the dealer was trying to make me feel good by saying "a lot of problems with those gauges so far," as I was installing my 3rd MDC and watching them fog up. Wouldn't play a big role in resale these days for a 1998, not sure about when Doug bought his boat.

Staying away from the first model year of new technology seems that it would be rather difficult with Malibu, as they are usually introducing something new across the board each year (I haven't researched the new technologies to argue specifics, rather it "seems" they introduce something new every year.) I guess the only way around that would be to buy a "few model years old" used boat that "hopefully" has the bugs worked out...hopefully because the warranty is done.

As for the 1998 Mastercraft, I really believe if one is aware of the issues that boat has, one would stay away from it. I spent quite a bit of time in a 1998 Prostar 190 that belonged to my friend and quite frankly it sucked as a three event boat. Bow rise was unbelievable (couldn't see the slalom course to line up as it was coming out of the hole) among the many other issues.

Great points Sethro. Yes, it's hard to avoid "new technology" if a manufacturer is always first to the marketplace. However, in addition to being brave, it can be risky.

As for my '98 RLX. I'm not wealthy enough to be able to flip a boat every few years. I'm also not in need of the lastest technology every year either. I'm fortunate (and I sincerely mean that) that I have enough money to be able to afford even a used towboat. I bought my '98 RLX in 2002. At the time, I knew nothing about FIBecs, wedges, Medallion gauges, etc etc. I was leaving the worl of hi-perf outboards, and venturing into DD skiboats for the first time. That says I was naive. However, I spent considerable time investigating the actual boat I bought. It had 300 hours (hardly broken in), spoke with the dealer who had maintained since new and got a complete laundry list of all historical repairs. I had the advantage of history working in my favour.

So.... I ended up with a great boat, for a very good price. No history of nagging problems.

Let's look at the recent past. Malibu has replaced the old Hammerhead with a new 383 hammerhead. We all now have visibility of how both performed. We have the advantage NOW of history providing us data. If I had a choice, I'd pick the new 383.

Let's look at the Wedge. A bit spottier history here. Sheared bolts, etc etc. Some seemed to have worked better than others. We now have the advantage of the knowledge of history to guide us.

All that to say, buying used..... or buying a model that has effectiely been in production and in the marketplace for a year has some tremendous advantages. Minimizes some potential "new tech" problems. Key word is "potential".

Here's a question: Which would be a "safer" purchase today. A 2007 Response LX with a 320 LCR, or a 2007 LXi with a Monsoon with a CAT? Strictly talking about potential for problems? The RLX has been around for a long time..... the 320 LCR is simply the old Monsoon without the CAT. Tried and true. Proven. Not as much bling. Not as big. (Not as expensive). Yet, from a potential for time in the shop..... which would be less likely to encounter "new" problems.

For those who can live with picking up a design that's been around (or a used boat), they not only usually spend less money..... they get a boat that has been "fixed", either by a more proven design, or "fixed" by the new-buyer's dealer and/or the owner themselves.

Fortunately, I can forego the glitz and bragging rights of "new", and pick up "proven".

Edited by doughickey

I tried not to get sucked into this thread, but....<sigh>

I could give examples of all of the Big 3 (as well as other companies) coming out with new technologies that were absolute out-of-the-park home runs. I could also give examples of failures at the most basic levels (the chine lock problem on the '98 Pro Star is a good one). What's the point? As far as I can tell, none of that seems to make a huge difference in resale value, good or bad, to the average consumer, keeping in mind that I don't consider the members here average in their approach to the purchase of a boat by any stretch of the imagination. IMO, the single biggest factor (by a wide margin over second place) when it comes to resale value is how good the wake is.

What am I trying to say? It will make no difference to the vast majority of consumers out there, most don't take the time & effort to research things the way that most here on the site do. The regulars here represent a very small percentage of the pool of people out there actually doing the buying, most just don't know & don't bother to try & find out. I see the points made & they're good ones when applied to the membership here, but I really feel like it becomes a null point when speaking of the general public. JMO of course.

I think Doug's point was not that Malibu won't fix the problem and take care of their owners, but that is it worth the hassle of taking the boat in for repairs until they get it right. There is always some risk in having the newest technology on first year models. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For some owners, they don't care about having to go through repairs, it is still worth it to them to have something shiny and new. For others, they would rather wait until the technology is perfected before buying so that they have a hassle free experience. It is important to a company like Malibu to have both types of customers buying there products.

One nice thing about Malibu, they will take care of any issues that come up, which makes buying new technology or old a lot more comforting.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that point. I agree that Malibu has & will continue to make this right for their customers. If there's any breakdown on that issue it seems to come at the dealer level & that's something that you deal with on any issue (not just the windshield's potential problems). The question that was raised was what kind of effect it might have on resale value.

For those who can live with picking up a design that's been around (or a used boat), they not only usually spend less money..... they get a boat that has been "fixed", either by a more proven design, or "fixed" by the new-buyer's dealer and/or the owner themselves.

Fortunately, I can forego the glitz and bragging rights of "new", and pick up "proven".

OK, I understand your point of view, but here's MY position.

I just sold my '99 SLxi (first year of that model) and it had no problems at all. Before that, I had a '97 Echelon with the Monsoon in it. This was one of the 1st '97 model boats and came off the line in August of '96. This was very early in the the Monsoon's life cycle. Again, no problems.

Now, I am looking for a new boat that works well for a family but still throws a great slalom wake. The RLxi is a bit small, so I'm limited to 2 boats (in my mind). I could look for a used SLxi in the 2002 - 2004 model years (after that they changed into a pig) and I really don't want older than that. Or, I could get the new VTX/LSV on the Cut Diamond hull. I've driven and skied both. I've been searching for the SLxi for the past few months, and they are few and far between. They are also very expensive for 3 to 5 year old boats. For not that much more money, I can get a new boat with what I want and in the colors I want.

New tech can be a bit scary, but can also be a lot of fun. I like the idea of a CAT on the new Monsoon. I also liked the look and functionality of the new windshield when I test drove the LSV. I have faith that Malibu will resolve any issue that may arise with it.

Good dealers are key and for those that have great dealers, you are lucky. The only thing that I fault Malibu for is not holding all dealers to a consistent high standard. It is obvious that some of the better ones hang out on this site.

Well said!

My .02 is that the "leading edge" is and has always had a double edge. You get all of the benefits of the new technology before anyone else and that is part of the reason you buy. When it works you are the envy of the lake. Unfortunately, when the technology fails, you face the consequences.

Will it effect resale? Absolutely. I question how many boats are being delivered with the manual wedge now that the power wedge is available? I suspect the manual wedge will be phased out over time. In a few years, if you don't have a power wedge, it may be more difficult to sell your boat so the price will reflect that.

If there are major windshield problems that require a fix, do not expect that Malibu will continue with that design. A "fix" or redesign is a very costly matter. More likely, Malibu engineers are likley busy making a new design for the next year that will not have issues. When the new design comes out, it will make the boats with the "fix" less attractive, not to mention more costly to repair if something goes wrong with the windshield because the parts will be les available.

For anyone that does research on their purchase, these issues matter and they adjust their price accordingly.

My .02 is that the "leading edge" is and has always had a double edge. You get all of the benefits of the new technology before anyone else and that is part of the reason you buy. When it works you are the envy of the lake. Unfortunately, when the technology fails, you face the consequences.

Will it effect resale? Absolutely. I question how many boats are being delivered with the manual wedge now that the power wedge is available? I suspect the manual wedge will be phased out over time. In a few years, if you don't have a power wedge, it may be more difficult to sell your boat so the price will reflect that.

If there are major windshield problems that require a fix, do not expect that Malibu will continue with that design. A "fix" or redesign is a very costly matter. More likely, Malibu engineers are likley busy making a new design for the next year that will not have issues. When the new design comes out, it will make the boats with the "fix" less attractive, not to mention more costly to repair if something goes wrong with the windshield because the parts will be les available.

For anyone that does research on their purchase, these issues matter and they adjust their price accordingly.

i agree with you 100% Biggrin.gif