Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about water spot prevention on a black Malibu

AMos23

We purchased our first Malibu this spring and it's beautiful black and silver. We have it moored for the summer but we pull it out once a month to thoroughly wash it, to keep the water spots, on the black, at a minimum. I originally purchased Hot Sauce to spray on it but I noticed yesterday, when we washed it, that there are still some water spots showing. I'd love to hear from all of you, who have dark colored Malibu's, what you recommend for water spot prevention. Currently we wash, dry, then spray/wipe on the Hot Sauce. Any advice is appreciated, we are trying to keep it looking new even thought we are using it a lot. Thank you!

We swear by Hot Sauce. Used it religiously after every trip when we trailered our black boat, we sold it this spring after 5 years and it looked brand new.  

Now we are moored all summer, so it’s harder, the boat isn’t all black, but does have some. We hit everything above the rub rail with hot sauce almost every time out (at minimum Sunday after a full weekend) and find it does a great job, below the rub rail…. Well, I’m just having to accept that it’s the price I pay for convenience. I’ll have a professional acid wash and wax done over winter, our boats get pretty scummy, but if cleaned properly they all look good as new when launching again in the spring. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I use wax as u dry as a wipe down on my mostly black boat.  Main thing is to keep a good coat of wax on it.

Where do you purchase yours? I looked on Amazon and it's crazy expensive.

I have had a mostly black Malibu since '06.  I have always used a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water in a spray bottle after pulling my boat out.  Spray down boat and use micro fiber towels to dry.  It has always kept the boat water spot free.  Best part is vinegar is cheap. There have been a couple of times over the years when I have tried spray wax products instead and every time after a few outings I have noticed water spots formed.  The vinegar solution works for me and if the smell bothers you a few drops of imitation vanilla extract help.  I have also kept a good coat of wax or sealant on the boat ...usually hit it in the spring every year or fall...big fan of the Menzerna products and Jescar sealant.

have done it so long now that vinegar reminds me of summer and boating. :)

Please explain  "Moored" are you on a Buoy or a dock?

If Dock is it a lift?

Fresh water or Salt?  

once the growth starts on the hull ,once a month is not enough.

I keep mine in the water most of the summer, no lift.  My boat is mostly metallic blue so more forgiving than your black will be.  I usually pull it out every ~2 weeks for a thorough cleaning.  As the water temp rises and the algae gets worse, sometimes I’ll pull it out more frequently for cleanings.  I keep some wash soap and a wash mitt on the boat at all times and almost everyday we go out I give it a quick wash right at the beach. That alone makes it drastically easier to clean later.  I never have to use a pressure washer, and it never looks dirty out on the water.  My boat is 8 years old now and it still looks like new.  When I pull it out, I dry it off and get the dirt off then hit it with hot sauce.  When I get it home I usually just wash with meguiars, hot sauce and dry. 2-3 time per season I wax it with boat sauce quick wax.  It’s the best spray on wax I have found.  With my kids and their friends I spend most of the time cleaning the interior so I don’t really have time for buffing and traditional wax.  

• Like 2

I have had black boats for 10 years. Nothing really gets rid of water spots except good old elbow grease.  I wash mine after every lake trip and hot sauce it.  Once a week it gets waxed. That has been the only way to keep the water spots off.  Don't play into the water spot remover bullcrap. 50/50 vinegar, hot sauce, wax and washing boat with clean water has been the only thing that has kept my boats free of water spot.

If water spots are really bad there is really no way to get them off except by wet sanding, buffing, and then polishing. 

Edited by dwc032
44 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

I have had black boats for 10 years. Nothing really gets rid of water spots except good old elbow grease.  I wash mine after every lake trip and hot sauce it.  Once a week it gets waxed. That has been the only way to keep the water spots off.  Don't play into the water spot remover bullcrap. 50/50 vinegar, hot sauce, wax and washing boat with clean water has been the only thing that has kept my boats free of water spot.

If water spots are really bad there is really no way to get them off except by wet sanding, buffing, and then polishing. 

Either your water is really bad, or your wax is.  Couple coats of Collenite fleetwax on a clean boat twice a year and they should wipe off with pretty much anything - even hot sauce.  FWIW - bought a bottle once, not impressed.  The el cheapo wax as you dry worked a lot better.

Edited by oldjeep

The water where you boat and the air temp will have an impact on water spots.  

25 years ago I stopped using wax and started using a polymer. It adheres to the gel coat and last allot longer in the heat. I have had great results with this product.

There are many marine polishes that now use polymer. Shop around on the net and find one that fits your application. 

"Black is not a color Its a Hobby"

Edited by Rack
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Either your water is really bad, or your wax is.  Couple coats of Collenite fleetwax on a clean boat twice a year and they should wipe off with pretty much anything - even hot sauce.  FWIW - bought a bottle once, not impressed.  The el cheapo wax as you dry worked a lot better.

Neither are bad. Like I said, no matter how much Collenite, regular wax, polymer wax or whatever else you’re using if you don’t wipe down your boat or the boats neglected your water spots will not come off.  

Wet sanding and buffing is the only true way to remover bad water spots. 

Edited by dwc032

On 7/9/2023 at 6:45 PM, AMos23 said:

We purchased our first Malibu this spring and it's beautiful black and silver. We have it moored for the summer but we pull it out once a month to thoroughly wash it, to keep the water spots, on the black, at a minimum. I originally purchased Hot Sauce to spray on it but I noticed yesterday, when we washed it, that there are still some water spots showing. I'd love to hear from all of you, who have dark colored Malibu's, what you recommend for water spot prevention. Currently we wash, dry, then spray/wipe on the Hot Sauce. Any advice is appreciated, we are trying to keep it looking new even thought we are using it a lot. Thank you!

Once a month isn't going to cut it IMHO/experience.  Hot sauce works great, I've used it for years on multiple boats.  I've found once a week wipe down with hot sauce keeps the water spots away, any longer and they seem to bake in and its much much hard to get rid of them.  A lot of people wipe it down with hot sauce after each outing, that's better yet.  The good thing about hot sauce is it wax and polymer friendly and doesn't strip wax/polymer coating.  I know some use a vinegar mix but that will strip off any wax or polymer coating you may have applied.  Also, don't forget to protect the vinyl with some type of UV protectant - we use Boat Blings Condition Sauce for that.  

We also swear by Rejex once at the beginning of the season and sometimes mid season which is a polymer coating instead of wax.

Been a boat owner since '83 and the best solution I've found is spray regular vinegar and wipe down after every outing without exception. Works like a charm. Good luck! 

• Like 3
On 7/9/2023 at 7:45 PM, AMos23 said:

On 7/10/2023 at 6:04 AM, DUKENO1 said:

I have had a mostly black Malibu since '06.  I have always used a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water in a spray bottle after pulling my boat out.  Spray down boat and use micro fiber towels to dry.  It has always kept the boat water spot free.  Best part is vinegar is cheap. There have been a couple of times over the years when I have tried spray wax products instead and every time after a few outings I have noticed water spots formed.  The vinegar solution works for me and if the smell bothers you a few drops of imitation vanilla extract help.  I have also kept a good coat of wax or sealant on the boat ...usually hit it in the spring every year or fall...big fan of the Menzerna products and Jescar sealant.

have done it so long now that vinegar reminds me of summer and boating. :)

@AMos23 you are on the right track with Hot Sauce and some elbow grease. But I also agree with @DUKENO1 with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for the more stubborn watersports.  I actually looked into this a few years ago in depth. Hot Sauce has a small amount (4-6%) of a chemical (GLACIAL ACETIC ACID) that is considered "Ice Vinegar" and works the same as vinegar to remove and buff-out water spots, its just not as strong as the 50/50mix of vinegar/water.  If you do use one of these make sure you use some sort of wax afterwards as vinegar/ammonia will remove any wax on the surface. Black is hard, get an Absorber rag and wipe down after every use so nothing sits to long on the surface. I detailed cars growing up, learned a lot about finishes, wax's and coatings. Now I work for Benjamin Moore so I deal a lot with chemicals. 

Screenshot (166).png

Edited by JMaddogT
  • Like 3

I intermittently wet slip my boat in pretty dirty water I have tried numerous things and come up with the following plan. 

Step 1: Spray the worst off with 25degree nozzle on pressure washer. 

Step 2: quick spray with vinegar mix to start eating away at scum

Step 3: spray with soap nozzle / foamer either boat soap or some dawn detergent 

Step 4: use a hand brush or pressure washer attachment brush to scrub everything off. ( https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Attachments-360-Degrees-Fan-Shaped-Connector/dp/B098P21KSJ/ref=asc_df_B098P21KSJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632106775404&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2509594807173050024&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015115&hvtargid=pla-1663026357538&psc=1 )

Step 5: Touch up with vinegar. 

Step 6: whatever sealer / wax you desire. 

- I used to use a ceramic soap but I didn't really like the idea of potentially "sealing" in dirt and I noticed a few times it seemed to make it harder to get some of the left over brown off.  If I use it now it would be at step 6. 

- I have not noticed a difference with Nu polish, wax, ceramic regarding keeping boat clean or making it easier to get everything off. 

- If it has been in for a really long time the vinegar in step 2 gets replaced with marykate on off hull bottom cleaner in garden sprayer. This is pretty potent stuff so I make sure to break the boat up into sections so that I can ensure the trailer and driveway get cleaned off right away.  I actually leaver the hose running on low over the driveway to help dilute it immediately (https://www.amazon.com/MaryKate-Off-Bottom-Gallon-Cleaner/dp/B0000AXNNI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=marykate+hull+and+bottom+cleaner&qid=1689284561&sr=8-2

Some before and after photos (about 5 weeks wet slip). 

68606212981__135EA981-787A-49DA-A8CB-F31C025E21AA.thumb.jpeg.835543cee73c07890e190f4a671ce889.jpegIMG_0437.thumb.jpeg.6a6e56c2e259241128774ee8daaad3b1.jpeg68607374392__0979E06C-AF6A-4D2C-9DAD-29F165ABF175.thumb.jpeg.47883a02adf0b47f018ac64eca890411.jpeg

Edited by Skithemidwest

I have a black boat. Have used Vingar and dist water but for years. I found the Lucas slick for 15 bucks and it works great!!  Avail anywhere. I spray it on the wet boat and wipe it off. Sometimes follow up with dry buff towel. It also takes off old water spots that have been there a while.

HzQfzV8.jpg

10 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

I have a black boat. Have used Vingar and dist water but for years. I found the Lucas slick for 15 bucks and it works great!!  Avail anywhere. I spray it on the wet boat and wipe it off. Sometimes follow up with dry buff towel. It also takes off old water spots that have been there a while.

HzQfzV8.jpg

I also agree with the Lucas Oil spray wax.... My son washed and waxed our boat for us using this and I about lost my mind when he told me what he used. I checked it out when we got home and was really surprised how well it cleaned up. 

• Like 2

I have waited to respond to this. I had black boats from 07 to 22. I now have an old white SeaRay. The black Malibu were much easier to keep looking nice than the white SeaRay. 
In the winter I would polished with 3M Finesse II. Then hit them with 2 coats Jescars Polymer. During the season, when the boat got wiped down, every outing, I would spray and wipe with Hot Sauce. The only place I had spots was the edges that caught the water. And if I worked them hard enough with Hot Sauce, they came right off. 
I did not even need to polish my 07 when I sold it. We are on the Dirty D. That give you an idea of our water. 
Just don’t ever miss a wipe down with Hot Sauce. You will regret not wiping it down. 

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8091.jpeg

Edited by Sparky450

I also swear by Hot Sauce and we use it every time we pull our boat out of the water and trailer.  When we get home and I have a bit more time I hit it with this spray on ceramic coating that really makes our boat shine and keeps the water spots WAY more manageable.  I spray on at full strength and it buffs to a great shine plus smells fantastic.  Highly recommend you give this a shot...also works fantastic on cars/trucks!

https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8GBHTS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=13M5D3XUSCC5I&keywords=ceramic+detail+spray&qid=1689388465&sprefix=ceramic+detail+spray%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

JW

• Like 2