Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will eFoils kill Wake surfing?

The Hulk

18 hours ago, vanamp said:

I have zero interest in any kind of foiling.   It just does not scratch the same board sport itch for me.  I don't think board sport enthusiast are scared but if I could find a way to wakesurf for $13k I'd be in. 

have you read Green Eggs n Ham?

(100% agree on efoil, but a wakefoil opens a whole world of possibilities vs. surfing.  The g-force of a foil bottom turn alone is worth the price of admission)

Edited by shawndoggy
15 hours ago, anutami said:

We bought 2 last year and now they just sit in the garage.  Cool at first but gets old pretty quick.  Don't waste your $$$.

This was my experience with a Boosted Board (electric skateboard).  Amazingly fun for the first thirty laps around the block... then never used.  Like I said if you had friends to e-foil with, different story.  I could see that being fun.  Otherwise it's kindof like riding a segway / rascal by yourself around the lake.

george-costanza-scooter.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess a lot of this depends on free time as well.  I don't feel like I have enough time for my current hobbies so adding one would just be stressful.

• Like 2

I doubt the boat manufacturers are too scared.  They have survived all 'the sport is dying' changes to the market and just keep getting more successful with a different towed sport.  To me the foil is todays version of the stand up jet ski.  It may be a toy in a 1%'ers collection, but you're going to see very few people trading the boat in for one.  I'd say 90% of families have a boat to spend time with the family 1st and for the passion of the sport second.  The foil doesn't do the first part.

22 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I guess a lot of this depends on free time as well.  I don't feel like I have enough time for my current hobbies so adding one would just be stressful.

This is precisely why I don’t have backcountry ski or snowboard setups. Plus avalanches. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:29 PM, hunter77ah said:

Which one did you get?

We got Pints for $1100 each.  Maybe if we bought the GX for 2800 would still be riding but I doubt it plus had battery issues had to return one for warranty work.   I hope this will never get old ;) best times with my daughter!!

8mlz3oIl.jpg

Np5e7XKl.jpg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, anutami said:

We got Pints for $1100 each.  Maybe if we bought the GX for 2800 would still be riding but I doubt it plus had battery issues had to return one for warranty work.   I hope this will never get old ;) best times with my daughter!!

8mlz3oIl.jpg

Np5e7XKl.jpg

I'm 44 and my dad turns 70 next month, and he's still my favorite ski buddy! (no offense to my ski buddies who use this forum) 

I got bored fairly quickly eFoiling flat water, but then I swapped out my prop for a folding prop and can "wakethief" the ~10th wave for pretty long stretches. Its a blast hunting for the biggest baddest surf boat with a good rider who is gonna stay up for a while. With a 4'2" board, light battery, HA wing, and folding prop...it is a whole different experience. Way more nimble and "sporty" feeling.

I agree though that the lack of a social aspect makes eFoils a completely different activity that could never replace a day on the lake with family/friends. I primarily use mine midweek when I can't rally a crew or when we are spending a weekend out boat camping and my kids are napping back at the campground.

• Like 3

I just have a ski boat and I have been wanting to try foiling so bad but the intro price is so big and I would hate for it to be a boring activity because of the size of cumbersome front wing I would need to get a decent amount of push.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, dalt1 said:

I bought an EUC 2 years ago. (Electric Unicycle) not One Wheel. It will top 30 MPH and range of 70 miles. Mostly goes on vacation trips now to ride for time on land and not in boat. A lot like E Foils in fact that need friends to have them to to have group fun. Price point much lower though at $1,500 - $4,000.

I would love to try the E foil though. Thinking the lack of air time would bore me fast. Learning curve probably short due to my Strapped in foil time. This foil setup is $8,000 or more to replace in todays dollars.image.png.cbae9db7b8bfbe208d69ee83a2fe079a.png

Missed the opportunity to buy my ex girlfriends dad's airchair. 

Should have jumped on it for 600 dollars. 

NorCalSurfer

I did eFoil today for the first time. I have never Foiled at all. I will say it is very cool and while working the board is opposite of wake surfing, it’s the fine movements and balance that are needed. It was very cool and I’m sure tomorrow will suck being sore. You can definitely take some spills that’s for sure. I don’t at all see this replacing wake surfing for me, it’s another sport. If these replaced jet ski, now that would be awesome. I’d rather one of these than a jet ski. You actually have to give it effort and you can go places you can’t on a boat. You can travel 1000x father than a paddle boarding which is awesome. This would be great to have on a camping trip or house trip other the charging aspect. The batteries are no joke. I was very surprised how heavy it still was without the battery in it. Overall it was very fun in a totally different way. 

• Like 2

I have to jump in on this one since I see so many of these e-foil things on Tahoe for the past couple years and it seems to be getting more popular. I had a guy ride one in between quite a few of us boaters all anchored and I will say it looked super fun to cruise around on, for the cost I don’t think so I have a car addiction so any extra cash like that goes to the vehicles or the boats. Do I think it would affect the wake boat market? Not even close since wake boats are so much more than a wave for a rider, the boats are a place families grow up on all summer, watch your kids grow, see new places with your friends, and they are also sexy and sleek, and just look amazing to me, But then that’s the boating industry itself right? If an E-foil became a cheaper toy I would most certainly get one not even a second thought, cost to fun ratio? I’ll stick with my LSV for now since it serves more than one purpose for my family, also I may have a boat addiction too so that also may be tying up some extra cash for a new toy like that, 3 boats aren’t cheap to maintain. 

• 4 weeks later...

ok @The Hulk - its been over a month...what's the latest thinking on the Efoil?  did you get a 2nd for cruising in pairs?  is it collecting dust?  are you shopping for foils for behind the boat yet?

still mastering

haven't used as much as i would like but have been busy.

wife made me get a helmet, and said no to another after she started reading about the lawsuits and injuries, and won't let our 10yr old ride it.. 

ill admit it can be quite dangerous, when you bail, ya need to jump away! im up to speed 13 out if 30 and scared to go further without changing fins to something with less lift at those speeds, feels like im going 20+mph at least, I need to connect the cell phone app but then it'll probably tell me I was going 15 haha..

It is nice to get out and surf without doing the whole boat ordeal and everything.. hard to say although i haven't even surfed my wake boat this year yet... 

• Like 1

I don't know if e-foils will kill wakesurfing, or if it'll die of natural causes.  I've been on my home lake in Northern WI for a week, and I've seen 3 e-foilers, and 1 wake surfer in the entire week I've been here.  Two wakeboarders.  Probably 20 slalom skiers.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:16 PM, UWSkier said:

I don't know if e-foils will kill wakesurfing, or if it'll die of natural causes.  I've been on my home lake in Northern WI for a week, and I've seen 3 e-foilers, and 1 wake surfer in the entire week I've been here.  Two wakeboarders.  Probably 20 slalom skiers.

similar here, several more e foils on the lake now this past weekend and didn't see a single person surfing which was odd to say the least.. although our lake seems to have calmed to pre covid levels of traffic 

• 1 month later...

I've ridden my Lift efoil for 4 years now. I also Skyski, slalom, and wakefoil. All great water activities, but a plus on the Lift is I don't need a driver. I could never get bored with it. Plug in waterproof earphones with your best tunes, try to get as close to max speed as possible while carving sharper and sharper turns, it never gets old. It cost a fortune, yes, but for me and my kids, it's been so worth it.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, jkloor said:

I've ridden my Lift efoil for 4 years now. I also Skyski, slalom, and wakefoil. All great water activities, but a plus on the Lift is I don't need a driver. I could never get bored with it. Plug in waterproof earphones with your best tunes, try to get as close to max speed as possible while carving sharper and sharper turns, it never gets old. It cost a fortune, yes, but for me and my kids, it's been so worth it.

Super dumb question - how can I can tell which model is best for my family?  Are the dealerships like a traditional dealership experience where you can go in and they have product displayed and so forth?

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Super dumb question - how can I can tell which model is best for my family?  Are the dealerships like a traditional dealership experience where you can go in and they have product displayed and so forth?

Find a Lift affiliate near you and they will help you with getting the best board for you.

13 minutes ago, PopsA22 said:

Find a Lift affiliate near you and they will help you with getting the best board for you.

I'm not sure I agree.  Some 'affilaites' may be hard core efoil experts (like someone who specializes); however my dealer is one and they have a demo board but aren't deep into all the foil options.  So I guess it depends on the your local affiliate.

Manufacturer would have some recommendations as well as forum groups.  Just look for a 'consensus' if you can find it.  I too was overwhelmed with the foil options on the lift website and lost interest (I'm sure temporarily - lol).

On 6/25/2023 at 2:01 AM, Infowarrior said:

If an E-foil became a cheaper toy

An important aspect is regulation. In many states an efoil qualifies as a pwc because of it's electric motor (& why shouldn't it? - 70lbs with a 2' carbon fiber mast and wing going at 20mph with 40 miles of range - you can cause damage or at least put yourself in extreme danger).

And this means that in most states drivers will need to be at least 12-16 with a safety course. While I have taught 3 kids to kneeboard and approach surfing this year.

The opposite end is wake regulations, where inboard manufacturers have changed their lineups 90% for big waves but some lakes are banning them (and efoils qualify for electric lakes only).

Related to this is the cost boats; at $6-$12k, you can buy a boat load (12+ capacity) cheaper than a recent surf boat.

---

As an adult slalom skier, efoil answers most of the water sensation I want - it always feels like smooth water, there is carving. But I don't have to trailer my boat (which I only have to do during drawdown), don't have winterize, and electricity is easy - but more importantly, I don't have to teach someone else to feel comfortable driving at 32mph, go in straight lines, not power turn, or drop me at the end.

---

To agree with others though, it's less social for the crew. Though new action communicators (Milo) and a second board could change this rapidly.

---

Finally, efoiling has a higher base rider skill level involved, though no boat has to come pick you up, and 1:1 in water training is more possible.

---

My parents have a pontoon, I have the 2006 vride and efoil - I am unlikely to replace the vride in future.

Edited by smileysteve
  • Like 2

Indiana's little funky right now They don't know how to register them but I know somebody that has gotten a ticket for it not being registered and they were trying to argue with the COthat they tried to register and the BMV basically said they don't know what to do.. I've had similar experience but I have not been pulled over by a CO or DNR yet.. 

When I purchase the board they even said Indiana doesn't know what to do some states do some states don't..

But you can easily go 30 plus miles per hour on these things If you've got some Kahuna's.. 

It is a blast for sure! I'll probably check back in the spring next season to see if I can register it or if the BMV knows what to do by then... 

It's been a little escape for me having this e foil this year cuz I can just get out and go Don't have to get the spotter kids or crew going I can just go out for 30-40 minutes and ride.. It is a workout for the calves for sure.. It's fun a little bit scary and exhilarating... And instead of going to a different part of the lake to serve I can go out in front of our cottage and not piss people off for sending rollers towards their dock.

I own a 25 LSV 2016 model and I've surfed once this year... Sad.. And I hope to possibly surf a second time before I take it out in a week or two but it's likely I'll just efoil instead..

Edited by The Hulk
On 9/15/2023 at 5:44 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

There are more options now than when I got my board. Basically, board length, wings, battery, mast length and propulsion. 

Board length: basically the longer the board, easier to master/ride. The shorter the board, quicker, more action. As I had wake-foiled before, I got the shortest board, the 4'2" Pro; I've not regretted it. Positives: can really carve turns, very responsive as less board to maneuver. Negatives: more difficult to ride. If you/your kids have good/very good balance (and you know who you/they are) get this board. More challenging at first, but you/they will still be up in 30-45 minutes with coaching. I've had others with less inherent balance/skills not able to ride after even 2-3 hours. To give everyone a better chance, could consider a board (slightly) longer than the Pro.

Wings: I wouldn't start with a high-performance/expert set, nor would I choose the largest/most stable wing. Try something in-between.

Battery: get the extended for longer rides/more people riding.

Mast length: mine came with 28", I'd probably get the same again as can carve pretty deep turns.

Propulsion: no opinion here as no option when I bought, but I'd read about/look into the jet.

If you can find as associate in your area, or travel to one, they might have a range of boards/wings to try. But I don't think you should base such an expensive purchase on an hour or so beginner experience. Think of the ride you'll want in the future and get that setup. 

Last words: remember that feeling you had when you were a kid, riding your bike on neighborhood streets as it's getting dark, no shirt, no hands and definitely no helmet back then. Pure joy. I'm 68, and riding my efoil is the closest I come to that now. I'm fortunate to live on a semi-private lake in Florida, so, no rules. My efoil sits on a stand 10 feet from the water so I can hop on in an instant. Although I require all my riders to wear a PFD (and helmet when learning), I don't wear anything anymore. I'm aware some will think it's stupid as I'd think the same if I saw someone other than me doing it. But, I've ridden hundreds of hours, hundreds of falls, always wrap my arms around head when falling. On a single fall in all that time, the front wing bumped my leg, otherwise I go one direction and the foil the other. But there is just no feeling like riding that thing at speed, wind racing past you, carving turns, tunes blaring, feeling so light b/c just wearing a suit. Just flying. I've ridden as the sun came up and so often at sunset into dusk. Last Christmas I taped some waterproof LED lights on, and on a moonlight night rode in the dark. 

It's rare to have the setup I do, but still, the more you ride it, the more you'll love it. Getting bored? Just turn the tunes up louder and see how that affects your throttle finger. Pure joy folks.

More and more E-Foil's on our lake every week.. and less surfing on our lake every week.. just sayin surf boat MFGs beware... You are being replaced whether you realize it or not.. 

There are tons of surf boats on our lake.. people just don't surf anymore.. they're for looking cool That's about it anymore.. unlike a few years ago it's a rarity to see one actually surfing.. The wake surf hype craze whatever you want to call it is over... efoils are dominating.. and Brunswick was late but smart...

Ya'll can argue about the social aspect of surfing... But at the end of the day efoils are the new "surf" craze.. and while still ridiculously expensive... It's still unbelievably less expensive than a surf boat... 

Edited by The Hulk