Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Trailer for 2000 Response Lx

ohonetacoma

ohonetacoma

I'm in search of a new trailer for my 2000 Response Lx.  When I bought the boat 3 years ago, it came on a Mastercraft trailer that was modified to fit my boat and was spray painted to hide all the rust.  I can now punch holes through the frame and I need to replace it.

I've been looking around and have quoted a Venture and Load Rite trailer.  Curious what everyone's opinions are on these two trailers/brands and if I'm missing any other brands I should look into.  I'm located in northern Vermont.  I'm leaning towards the Venture purely on cost.

Venture Trailers:

• Aluminum single axle bunk trailer VAB-3525 with the following options to accommodate your boat:
  • Alternate Winch stand 3x4x32” height PN 31212
  • Ski boat crossmember package –(includes alternate crossmember in front and Target Bunks)(to accommodate the inboard)
  • Price: $4,285

Load Rite

• Model LR-ASKI203600102TB1
  • Price: $7,500

My boat specs:

• Length: 20ft
  • Bow eye to transom: 19’ 3”
  • Beam: 90"
  • Draft: 16"
  • Weight: 2,450 lbs
  • Fuel Capacity: 35 Gallons
  • Drive Type: Direct Drive
  • Hull: SV23 Diamond

Pictures of the boat and trailer

Does the Venture crossmember package include a prop cage?  You'll really want one.

I ordered an aluminum Loadmaster I-Beam trailer through my dealer with the agreement that I would add the prop cage myself.  I was able to get it with a much shorter tongue than their usual aluminum jobs so it would still fit my garage.  I also got it without brakes since I hate them on a boat trailer, especially in salt water.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Your boat has the OEM marine package on it.  Was it used in salt water?  Either way, I would wash the engine and then spray it with light spray oil (WD-40, P'wer B'laster, etc.).  Get everything except the belts wet with oil, including the oil pan and engine mounts.  Repeat the oil a few times a year.  I would also check the manifold risers to make sure they aren't about to rust through and hydrolock the engine.  If the risers show a rust ring at the joint, they may be ready for replacement.  You can PM me for info on stainless steel manifolds if you are interested.

ohonetacoma
4 hours ago, justgary said:

Does the Venture crossmember package include a prop cage?  You'll really want one.

I ordered an aluminum Loadmaster I-Beam trailer through my dealer with the agreement that I would add the prop cage myself.  I was able to get it with a much shorter tongue than their usual aluminum jobs so it would still fit my garage.  I also got it without brakes since I hate them on a boat trailer, especially in salt water.

Your boat has the OEM marine package on it.  Was it used in salt water?  Either way, I would wash the engine and then spray it with light spray oil (WD-40, P'wer B'laster, etc.).  Get everything except the belts wet with oil, including the oil pan and engine mounts.  Repeat the oil a few times a year.  I would also check the manifold risers to make sure they aren't about to rust through and hydrolock the engine.  If the risers show a rust ring at the joint, they may be ready for replacement.  You can PM me for info on stainless steel manifolds if you are interested.

Not sure about the prop cage - I'll reach out to Venture and confirm.

I bought the boat from a guy in Rhode Island where he ran it in brackish water so that's why it has the closed cooling system.  I'll be checking the manifold risers tonight!

Did your gauges give up the ghost on your boat yet?  Mine did the end of last season and I've been looking at Medallion Conversion Kit to replace with and was looking for thoughts on this kit.

Mine did the end of last season and I've been looking at Medallion Conversion Kit to replace with and was looking for thoughts on this kit.

They're excellent. I fitted this kit https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Inboard-Ski-Boat-Parts/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1208-MAL-PP after MMDC failed. Was less cost than replacement MMDC and get new GPS speedo and new multiguage too! 

• Like 1